2020 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions

mikerider

Yes RR, thanks to you and many, will be taking a few people to Moose Valley, it is that good. When and where is your next trip?

Started snowing off and  this morning lightly, now steady light snow.  Put a quick 120 miles  before noon including coffee stop and breakfast stop. Back at hotel I installed new carbides and drive belt. About 1,500 miles ago sled hit what felt like neutral. Thought I blew a belt. Belt okay, maybe a bearing. Luckily Jak noticed belt really stretched. Jak and I did quick belt adjustment and 1.500 miles still going good. Never had that happen before. Usually just change the belt every 10,000 miles on the 900 ACES. This one only went just under 9,000 miles. Still a good spare. Must have been a defective belt. lol

mike

1 minute ago, mikerider said:

Yes RR, thanks to you and many, will be taking a few people to Moose Valley, it is that good. When and where is your next trip?

Started snowing off and  this morning lightly, now steady light snow.  Put a quick 120 miles  before noon including coffee stop and breakfast stop. Back at hotel I installed new carbides and drive belt. About 1,500 miles ago sled hit what felt like neutral. Thought I blew a belt. Belt okay, maybe a bearing. Luckily Jak noticed belt really stretched. Jak and I did quick belt adjustment and 1.500 miles still going good. Never had that happen before. Usually just change the belt every 10,000 miles on the 900 ACES. This one only went just under 9,000 miles. Still a good spare. Must have been a defective belt. lol

mike

Mike, I always wonder where all the belt /clutch stories come from, like you I always seem to get 10k out of a belt, then just change it for peace of mind, I have only had 1 belt blow, on a 600 Yamaha in the Forks Maine the late 80's, had 12k on it. Yes the ride to Moose Valley, pretty nice ride any way you go, and a lot less traffic, and the trails always seem to be in great shape.

Mike

So what are you getting there ? At home in Maine here we had a few inches.....crusty ice on top and light rain....temps dropping today and changing slowly to a little more snow at dusk. The crown is reporting very fluffy 3” overnite.

We drive up to Lac-Etchemin today to start our saddlebag tomorrow. Should be an interesting drive up !

We will see you tomorrow night Mike !

Mark

Edited by EastMark

Hi Mark,

It is lightly snowing now but windy. Looks like 5 to 6 inches on the ground. Forecast is for heavy snowfall today and tonight and very strong winds.

My experience, and maybe others can comment, is when there is bad drifting, don't try to go out on the sled.  You can get mired really bad. Pick trails with the least fields and power lines.

Safe driving.

mike

Looking like Lac-Etchemin to RDL tomorrow is ok. Tourvile is halfway and looks to get 12”+ ending early tonite....and the winds are mainly strong along the St Lawerence. Only 10 mph+/- further away from it. Hoping the groomer are all out hard tonite or its going to be slow going.

We will pick eastward routed groomed trails now from FCMQ in the morning and hope its accurate. One thing for sure....no shortage of snow ! It will be very cold tomorrow but we are prepared.

State of Maine is mostly closed down today with this ice/snow mix. Took today out and will start driving up noonish in daylight which sure helps !

Edited by EastMark

Thanks for posting the pics!      How was your ride home in the storm?

I had a great time too, always be glad to do it again. The ride to Moose Valley was epic. Thanks. So were those trails around Rimouski.

mike

Snowing here all day, nothing big. But last hour or two turned to white out conditions, Crazy winds.  I think trails will be impassable tomorrow with drifts.

This storm is a bad one for sure.  It is just crazy outside,  huge winds.  Can't tell the snow depth due to the blowing. But guessing probably way over a foot.  80k winds. Should equal ten foot drifts. Lots of saddlebaggers coming in, they looked whipped.

One spa day a year. Already used that ticket last trip. Come on up Joe,  early happy hour?

mike

34 minutes ago, mikerider said:

This storm is a bad one for sure.  It is just crazy outside,  huge winds.  Can't tell the snow depth due to the blowing. But guessing probably way over a foot.  80k winds. Should equal ten foot drifts. Lots of saddlebaggers coming in, they looked whipped.

One spa day a year. Already used that ticket last trip. Come on up Joe,  early happy hour?

mike

10 foot drifts.....

Mike, is this going to look like the photos in Newfoundland last month with everything buried ? 

Well.....201 north of the Forks was nuts.....north of Jackman....almost just spent the nite in Jackman...nearly impassable.  Close to a foot on the road. Like breaking trail with a trailer in tow. Yikes.

In Lac Etchemin. Club member here says they are grooming tonite....snow ends by 9. If the wind is low and grooming shows it happened we may try it to RDL. Can always drive to or sled to Tourville and stay overnite there tomorrow and drink. Tommorow AM we will call an audible and see whats what. High of 7 tommorow. 😆

Wasnt I just bragging how the weather looked great for our trip ?

Well, maybe not ten foot drifts but I bet many trails are close to impassable.  I drove the truck one mile to dinner and that was too much!

Good luck Mark. Be careful.  Are you happy with the hotel there?  Still snowing very hard here, and crazy winds. Be careful if you go out tomorrow.

mike

Hotel is good. id ride out of here again. Nice area too.

I will fill you in on my choice of cut thru roads when faced with a closed road from a logging truck going off road thru power lines in St Prosper. The adventure began already and the sleds are still strapped in the trailer. 🤠👍

Edited by EastMark

I don't know what to tell you Mark. I would not go unless every inch of the way is groomed. It drifts bad up here.  The only thing you got going in your favor is that it is a Saturday and maybe a lot of sleds will be out packing down the trails. That would be a huge help. I just got a message from a friend who just arrived here at the hotel after riding over from Amqui. He said it was beyond nasty and is glad to be still alive.  Hope to see you tomorrow. And yes, what happened to our good forecast?

Hope to see you tomorrow night.

Mike

THanks for the sound advice as always. We will be there in RDL even if we have to drive the truck/trailer !

Considering finding a spot in Tourville to drive to and park and lessen the risk/ride length some so we can still ride. More trail options from there in toward RDL.

Im not surprised today was a shit show on the trails. It was wild.

Need to look in the morning.....thanks again.

Mark and Lisa.  So good to see you and glad you had a great ride despite my gloom and doom of too much snow.  Groomers really got out quick. You two are quite the adventurers!

Happy trails tomorrow to Amqui.  

mike

pics:   Trail today, front of hotel, and old theater downtown RDL.

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

Never too safe in this hobby Mike ! Especially with bad weather. Lots of ungroomed snow in the trails but very few bumps. Still able to clip along at 50+ in many area since it was flat underneath. Very little traffic first half to Tourville. Moderate traffic from there in. 

Looks like 90%+ of our route to Amqui was groomed last nite. Taking the 35 route out the the 5 route back tommorow assuming its in good shape. Weather has been cold but nice. No complaints !

Is there access to that little tiny river island clubhouse this year ? Thinking of looking for it on our way back tomorrow.

23093918-9A4F-4E07-92B2-C4AF1AD416AE.jpeg

2D7FED6B-5C98-4C70-9D16-C64753AEBEF8.jpeg