2020 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions

mikerider

Two weeks ago the ice trail to the island was not staked out. Helecoptors were taking people back and forth. If it open, they put trees in the ice marking the way. It starts at one of the landings the island folks leave their cars at. Coming back from Amqui on Trail #5, trail starts behind the Isle de Verti club house on Trail #5.  It does add extra time going that route but a very nice ride.

mike

Great trails to Amqui. Went up thru the windmills. Impressive. 

Late start...long story...but made great time on stellar trails 544 etc. over to 35 were incredible. Super fun. At Selectotel in Amqui. Great spot. Back towards RDL to morrow !

IMG_20200209_164344.jpg

IMG_20200209_164452.jpg

IMG_20200209_163634.jpg

Great day today. Back to RDL from Amqui. Went the lake route up and over to 5 which was great for a while. Took the long way when we hit moguls on 5 near Rimoski before where the 35 splits off...so we went the longer route and it paid off. 240 miles today and mostly stellar trails. Big fun. 

I need a beer now. 😆

Lots of snow from Friday's storm and the groomers were out in force Friday and Saturday nights getting things back to normal and back to hard pack trails.  Some trail berms getting pretty high.

Lots of friends in and out of the hotel past few days. Yesterday needed a new helmet shield, couldn't find one in stock, walked out of the SkiDoo dealer with an Oxygen. Over 350 miles  now on the helmet and I join the ranks of riders who just love it.  When I started riding in 1965, I would never have dreamed of a helmet that got warm on the inside, actually gets pretty hot.  Luckily friend Skip happened to be at the dealer and showed me the ins and outs of the helmet and I was sold.

Pics from the last few days of riding. SkiDoo 420 joined me today. He has big plans for tomorrow's ride.

mike

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

22 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Lots of snow from Friday's storm and the groomers were out in force Friday and Saturday nights getting things back to normal and back to hard pack trails.  Some trail berms getting pretty high.

Lots of friends in and out of the hotel past few days. Yesterday needed a new helmet shield, couldn't find one in stock, walked out of the SkiDoo dealer with an Oxygen. Over 350 miles  now on the helmet and I join the ranks of riders who just love it.  When I started riding in 1965, I would never have dreamed of a helmet that got warm on the inside, actually gets pretty hot.  Luckily friend Skip happened to be at the dealer and showed me the ins and outs of the helmet and I was sold.

Pics from the last few days of riding. SkiDoo 420 joined me today. He has big plans for tomorrow's ride.

mike

Mike, that helmet is really nice, but make sure you have a spare cord, no other cord fits it, and if you loose or break it, the helmet fogs in 30 seconds!!

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Thanks Bob, I did not know about the instant fog/cord.   I was more concerned about theft of the helmet. Would be quite the financial hit. Imagine having to call a flat bed for a broken cord.

Good info. Thanks.

mike

Back in Lac-Etchemin ! Great ride today. 200+ for a 4 day total of 833. Blessed to have a wife capable and willing to do the run. She did awesome. Even helped me jackass a very heavy sled when I turned onto a non trail ! My reverse kicked out Sunday so no backing the beast up. 

We hit a mile or 3 on the Club Belle cut thru back to 35 that was plowed HARD. Besides that 200 miles with no bumps even. A real blast !

Sunshine and  favorable temps this morning. SkiDoo420 and I agreed;  another trip to Moose Valley for lunch and come up with a new game plan for the second half of the day.

Left at 8 am and arrived at the Moose 11:30,   125 miles, besting our last trip by 15 minutes. After lunch we decided swinging through New Brunswick and coming into Quebec below the Frontier club house was to much of a stretch. We decided to stay in the mountains and do a loop heading out northeast and circling around to come out near the Quebec border where we entered in the morning. On the way in to Moose Lodge, we chose the right hand trail this time. Almost as good as the left hand one, but not quite.

For those that have never ventured to Moose Lodge from the Quebec side, it is endless miles of riding in the mountains with big wide logging roads, constant changes in elevation,  fast sweeping corners, and a few 'gotcha corners'.

Moose Lodge  is nice inside. However, there is no lake by the cabins and I think a stay there overnight would be good but 'basic'.

Took the longer way back once in Quebec going over to Isle Verte club house with the idea of doing a sunset ride on the green trails down by the island. Just before reaching the club the winds became fierce. Blowing snow was wild. A tree came down across the trail hanging just above head level. I thought a coffee at the club was a good alternative. Surprise, club is closed and for sale. So sad, great food, even greater lady that ran it, and always a warm place to stop.

Back in to RDL at 285 miles for the day.

mike

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

Mike

I'm planning on being in RDL Feb 22 and heading towards Moose valley the next day (Sunday). If I read your reviews correct there is 2 different trails when leaving from RDL in the NB side? If so what are recommendations on which to take. We're going to keep on going after lunch east and find a spot along the coast for the night. Not sure where yet but that's the direction we're going.

Thanks in advance for this as well as your other reports. Happy to see George is with you and doing well.

Mike

40 minutes ago, doo4adoo said:

Mike

I'm planning on being in RDL Feb 22 and heading towards Moose valley the next day (Sunday). If I read your reviews correct there is 2 different trails when leaving from RDL in the NB side? If so what are recommendations on which to take. We're going to keep on going after lunch east and find a spot along the coast for the night. Not sure where yet but that's the direction we're going.

Thanks in advance for this as well as your other reports. Happy to see George is with you and doing well.

Mike

There a few ways into NB probably either take 85 and cross at Degelis then take I think 12 to 17 to Moose Valley or probably the preferred route would be going through Sqatec to Biencourt on 35 then making a right on the Orange local trail, keep an eye out you will be on 35 and just after a small road crossing you have to go right. This will take you into NB and put you on 135 you can either stay on 135 to 17 intersection just North of Moose Valley or take 135 just a short distance into NB then take 150 (this trail is really nice) then take that to 17 which will bring you out just North of the 135/17 intersection. Not sure where your goal is for the night but the trail leaving Moose Valley on 17 N/E to 155  is awesome and brings you out in St. Irene Quebec

Take the short cut thru Squatec via St. Cyriprien,  get gas at Squatec.  Leave Squatec east on 35 to Biencourt and band a right.  Maybe 20 miles or more heading south you get to NB signs and intersection, here both routes will say Moose Valley. I like the left route a little better than the right. Same distance on either. We have done the complete other way, as Viper2 mentioned, Degalis to Edmuston. Also same distance as above. Trails were smooth, scenery nothing special at all. Definetly go via Squatec!

New Oxygen helmet is working out great, loving it. No problems wearing glasses. Only brought thick baclavas on this trip, so have not been wearing any and still toasty warm. 

Below zero  and windy in most areas today. Disappointed to be chilled on high speed trails. Cold seeping thru the Choko jacket.  Stopped at a club house for coffee and ten minutes of sitting in front of the wood stove and the inside of the jacket was still very cold.

Found new scenic lookout today, club just starting to groom into it.  South on #35, suddenly Poogahmook Lake (sorry, still can't spell it right) comes into view. Trail is on right, and when you turn into trail there is a sign that says ;Belvedere'.  Half mile in is great view of lake and town.

mike

IMG_0062.JPG

Temps were brutal today Mike! We rode from Vermont this morning and are sitting at Normandin now in Levis, 211 wicked cold miles! Trails however were a 10 all day. Headed for the Delta in the a.m. Maybe bring George with you tomorrow Mike and wrap him around your neck for extra warmth!