2020 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions

mikerider

Mcstar,       It is my go to shortcut that I use often, it is also a great trail. Looks like it has been groomed today. 

Coming west on 5, hop on 559, believe it may become 557 farther in.

IF you GPS, you are all set. If not, get on 559, you will go thru the back yard of a small club house. The trick for the next 25 miles is to keep bearing right. Two exceptions. Don't take the right marked Bar Rockford. And DO NOT make a right after the gas station yard ,that goes across the highway (no signs for this right but it is 561 and lots of sleds use it. but instead go straight after going thru the gas station yard).   After the gas station, about 8 more miles, then either take the right thru the tunnels (the better way) or straight. Either brings you to the Universel.

mike

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

Mcstar,       It is my go to shortcut that I use often, it is also a great trail. Looks like it has been groomed today. 

Coming west on 5, hop on 559, believe it may become 557 farther in.

IF you GPS, you are all set. If not, get on 559, you will go thru the back yard of a small club house. The trick for the next 25 miles is to keep bearing right. Two exceptions. Don't take the right marked Bar Rockford. And DO NOT make a right after the gas station yard ,that goes across the highway (no signs for this right but it is 561 and lots of sleds use it. but instead go straight after going thru the gas station yard).   After the gas station, about 8 more miles, then either take the right thru the tunnels (the better way) or straight. Either brings you to the Universel.

mike

Thanks,  Mike see you tomorrow,  Mario 

Today was east over to Tois Pistoles and then the 518 to the Rimouski club house. The 518 is a most delightful loop, highly recommend it. Add it to the Isle Verte loop, which just got groomed, makes for a really nice 85 mile stretch.  There is gas just on 518 just before the Rimouski Club house on 5. We had lunch at the St. Cyp Restaurant in St. Cypien, and did the green trails on both sides of 85.  These green trails are always great. Short stretch of 85 not so great.

Rode with FarmerOld,,  SkiDoo420 and his son 420 II.  His son is driving a Cat SnoPro 500, a sled I have always wanted as a second sled!

Stopped at a check point by official FCMQ people. They apparently liked the SnoPro 500 as much as I so.

The forecast has been up and down as far as the warm up this coming week. It is now down to one day of warm and the rest at 32F or below. Looking hopeful.

mike

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

Edited by mikerider

5 minutes ago, EastMark said:

Rimouski club is right on trail 5 Mike ? How far east of the end of 518 would you say roughly ?

Looks like we got some good grooming again. 🙂

Looks like it is right at the intersection of 5 and 518

Mark,   Yes, 518 comes right to that club house.  Gas on 518  just before clubhouse.

If you are running late at that club house, Might be a good day to add Isle Verte loop first, then 518.  If you are running late, after Rimouski club house, head back towards RDL on 5, drop down 571 to Squatec. After Squatec, take 571 to 544 to St. Cyrieprien and to 85, then 526 to Club Explatiers (single Arch club).

East and south are usually best on Sundays.

Sundays, couple inches of new snow thrown in, where to go.The big city crowds are leaving the Universel heading back to the Quebec City/Levis area via 5 west. Gaspe crowd racing out 5 east. Hotel packed last night with sleds.

FarmerOld and I started out by doing the green trails thru down by Isle Verte. Nice going. One small area had 6-8 inches of new snow. Jump on 5 heading toward RDL, meet sled after sled heading east. Swing south around to Chevelliers Frontier club. Their trails are my go to Sunday perfect trails and they don't disappoint. Lunch and north to 5 and west for awhile. Pretty nice. Do the green trails along the St. Lawrence east back to RDL via the tunnels.  90% trails today really nice. High snow when entering tunnels, duck down or you will hit your helmet, (I know).

mike

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Mike

So we went east on 5. Good shape. Lots of new loose snow but good. Tough visibility with steady snow. Put the yellow lensed glasses on...better but a bit tough. Plenty of snowdust. 

Planned Isle Verte loop but when we got to that left turn someone was coming out. Looked like it was groomed before this last snow over with low traffic so is wasnt looking that good. Maybe 2 sets of tracks. Combined with steady snowfall messing with the St Lawerence view we hoped for we changed up. Asked the french guy coming out and he indicated it was “potatoes” so we stayed on 5 to 3 Pistols. We stopped at one point on trail on 5 and had one Gaspe group of 20 sleds pass by. Another group was 12-14. Trail was decent...again alot of loose stuff on top...we took 518 up to eTang Rimouski club for lunch. Great burger. 

.518 is a very nice trail. Overall 5 is great but more fields/power lines than I prefer...but at 60 mph tough to complain. Pretty good but lots of loose snow of course. 

571 to 544; was good and 85 nice. Looped 526 (just ok) back to 544 (better) in 85 (very good for late in the day) to RDL.

182 mile loop. Lots of fun. Couple beers in the round bar to swap lies about the ride with my riding partners...always a blast.

Glad the crowds are gone tomorrow.. Look forward to Mon-Tues low traffic ! Look at the map and make a plan in the morning for a run..

That looks like the clutch off the Cat, maybe?

Sorry for the bad luck. Missed seeing you  (and Eastmark) last night. Went to town with friends for dinner.

Dave, you here again tonight, or did you go home.

mike

Today FarmerOld and I made our way south on the green trails. Then did the southernmost loop, (Packington loop). Most trails were smooth or just groomed, 3 very short stretches of rough. More grooming than usually seen on a Monday. Great almost 200 mile ride. (There is gas station in one of the towns on the Packington loop open 7 days a week). Ate at Tim H in Delegis and made our way north on the green trails.

On the fore mentioned loop there is a side trail that has New Brunswick signs and mentioned Baker Lake, which I assumed is a town not far from this loop. Anyone know if this town is in fact close by and is it sled friendly with good restaurants. Might be nice to slip down there sometime.

mike

IMG_0005.JPG

Edited by mikerider

2 hours ago, skidoo420 said:

Mike yesterday we went towards Tourville via tunnels looking for Phil’s GPS had coffee at club house just before 55 then this happened!!!!

4FDB544B-4FD6-4B26-8B3B-522D8FCDF81E.jpeg

Saw this same thing on one of our 1200s this season, luckily it was the last day and close to the truck. Time to start greasing those bearings.

2 hours ago, mikerider said:

On the fore mentioned loop there is a side trail that has New Brunswick signs and mentioned Baker Lake, which I assumed is a town not far from this loop. Anyone know if this town is in fact close by and is it sled friendly with good restaurants. Might be nice to slip down there sometime.

Baker Lake is quite close to that loop, more of a village than town. There is a beautiful looking restaurant right on the lake where the trail passes, it wasn't open the couple times I have been by. The trail from there to Edmundston is actually very nice, and has been in excellent shape anytime I have been on it. It would appear that the majority head east towards Moose Valley and these trails seem quite a bit lower traffic. I thought the area was pretty neat and have looped through a few times now.

Mike, 

My wife has a cousin that owns a cottage on Baker Lake. We stopped in there this summer for a visit on our way to Newfoundland.

First thing l asked was there any snowmobile trails nearby? Pulled up the NB App and the trail ran right in front of their cottage on the Lake. It appears the local club uses the marina on the lake for their Clubhouse/restaurant during the winter.

Scout it out for us, slight chance we may head RDL way in couple weeks.

SteveIMG_1609.thumb.PNG.c87ade43c444270f3d9fe2dff314d4e5.PNG

Great loop today. Took the famed Mikerider tunnel then to Hiboux to Tourville to Explorers (closed) via  55/557/35/526/5 then to the RDL round bar. 203 miles...big fun. Great trails. Great to see the Mayor stop in the bar. Always a pleasure ! Really fun day. Light traffic.

For a few of you who mentioned coming up later in the week.   

I have been cleared by the wife for up to another week past next Sunday (I may stay longer even if you can't make it)'

I just checked at the front desk. This coming weekend there is no hockey tournament.  201 rooms taken,  80 rooms left as of now, so looking hopeful.

I will keep updating conditions all week, but right now looking good after today's warm up.

Bring your A game.  Moose Valley,  Baker Lake, and maybe a nice loop over by Rimouski.

Today was thick fog all morning.  Warm in the mid 30's.  Finally later in the morning I decided to go anyway. One mile from the hotel and bright sunshine. As I made my way SW I could feel it getting a tad colder. Maybe 33 away from town. Top layer of snow just a little sticky,  It was excellent going, carbides had a good bite as just under the sticky was hard cold trail.

Explorers Club closed, headed west to Belle Pistas club and had an excellent burger and greateau  avec sauce for dessert. Back around by the St. Lawrence, thick fog, almost could not see the trail, quickly got better. Back to hotel with 100 miles and still fog in RDL.

mike

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

Edited by mikerider
xx

Nice Mike, 12 thousand miles in 2 seasons, are you keeping it another season or trading up? I have 3500 on 2 rides this season and figure I will ride it next year and sell it with 2 years of warranty left. Crazy how far these newer sleds will go if you take care of them. hopefully it will stay cold a few more weeks, it was 60 here in Western Mass today and 55 yesterday, way wrong for this time of year. I have to wait another week before I can go again, hope it lasts, I hate black top!!