2020 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions

mikerider

No black top this morning, plenty at hotel by afternoon. Possible freezing rain tonight followed by snow, then below freezing temps rest of the week.

If I can get a deal I hope I can trade it for another Renegade 900 na.  Really like the yellow for 2021.

mike

21 minutes ago, mikerider said:

No black top this morning, plenty at hotel by afternoon. Possible freezing rain tonight followed by snow, then below freezing temps rest of the week.

If I can get a deal I hope I can trade it for another Renegade 900 na.  Really like the yellow for 2021.

mike

I am putting wheels on, like you 2 years and I try to move up, snow check gets the 4 year warranty which makes it easier to sell or trade, and I can always ride under warranty, last 4 seasons all I have had to do is grease them!! Yes if it stays cold things will stay good and I get 1 more ride, the season is way too short!! Bob.

Super trails today. Out at 8. Mostly all trails were first tracks or nearly. Real nice. Warmed up a lot. Shorter day. About 150 miles.

Took 5 to 544/565/85 thru Cabano/563 loop to 35 to Chevaliars club. Then to Poghonhamook for gas...then 35 to 561 and back thru Mikes tunnel. Very fun day and nearly no bumps at all for the day. Great ride.  

Woke up to a thin slushy wet coating of snow. It quickly turned over to a fluffy snow which is supposed to go on all day and night. Fingers crossed.

Two times this week GTRider, Mrs. GTRider and I have scored a prized window seat at LeEstiminent  Pub.  Apparently my friends have more pull than I do, and I'm a regular.  Eastmark, Lisa and friends were also there livening up the place.

Eastmark and his wife Lisa always take RDL by storm. I have put a bug in their ear they should buy the Verte Club House on Trail #5, which is for sale. They can go on in life being loved members of their Maine community and highly respected business people, or buy the relais and become legends of Quebec.

mike

Stan,  I have zero pull in this place.   But, maybe if you could get them on board as a QR advertiser???

Their beers selection are from all over the world and all over Quebec,,,,Feel like I am earning free air miles every time I drink there.

mike

1 hour ago, neksledr said:

So Mike, do tell.....why is the window seat so coveted? 

lol

I guess because there are only like 5 window tables.  They are a nicer ambience,  a little quieter,  a nice view of the downtown, they are on a raised flooring so that you have a nice view around the inside, and the fact I can never get a window table unless I am with Mr. and Mrs. GTRider.   While this is a pub, it is more of a sit down restaurant/pub. 

Terry, we shall go some night and test your RDL influence!

57 minutes ago, mikerider said:

lol

I guess because there are only like 5 window tables.  They are a nicer ambience,  a little quieter,  a nice view of the downtown, they are on a raised flooring so that you have a nice view around the inside, and the fact I can never get a window table unless I am with Mr. and Mrs. GTRider.   While this is a pub, it is more of a sit down restaurant/pub. 

Terry, we shall go some night and test your RDL influence!

Well I certainly hope you picked up the GT Riders tab! And yes, I have been under the influence a time or two whilst visiting RDL!

If I can get back up there this year before you leave, I owe you a dinner for your Dodge leasing service, always appreciated!

Snowed all day and got colder as the day went on. Few inches around RDL. Calling for 5 to 10 cm more tonight.

I did not ride today but just spoke to GTRider who just came in. Said there is a foot of new snow once out past RDL.

mike

Back home. Big smiles thinking of our 3rd Quebec trip of the season. Trails were great. Always fun. Enjoyed dinner there too as well as Symposium Sunday nite. Cool downtown area.

Yes it is a bummer anytime a club closes for sure. For us part of the allure of BSL is the number of random clubhouses. Hoping that somebody gets that I.V. club back up and running and I actually elect RDL’s Mayor Mike as the perfect candidate ! 😉

Only issue then will be the “Gone Sledding” sign permanently affixed to the door ! 

Enjoy the ride today. 

Over hill and dale type day. Saw anywhere from 3 or 4 inches of new snow to a foot as I traveled along.  Warmer, unfortunately back to black top in lots, but trails are nice. Colder snap starting tonight.   Trails today were very nice.

mike

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

Edited by mikerider

The past couple days have been mid winter conditions and mostly great trails, with lots of sunshine thrown in.

It is so nice to contact friends and tell them how good the riding is and have them drive up and join me. Surprised they believed me as they watched their grass growing in southern New England.

• Friday Jak and I did the Moose Valley run. Great fast trails until Moose Valley, then about 15 - 20 miles of groomed but very loose snow conditions. Tons of recent new snow in the mountains. We saw two moose. 250 miles.
  • Today Jack & Sandy, Jak, and new to the group Gary and I did a southern loop then the  Isle Verte loop at days end.  205 miles. First half of the day mostly hard fresh groomed trails and same with Isle Verte loops. 205 miles. Sunny both days.
  • Day room in the new section of the Hotel makes for a great days end BYOB happy hour.
  •  

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

Today's goal was the southernmost area below RDL, the Packington Loop. We left in snow flurries which quickly changed to a blue sunny sky for the day.

Trails were beautiful, traffic lighter the farther south we got. Coffee at Frontier club, and off to the Packington Loop.  We top of our gas in Packington and march on, We come to the intersection of New Brunswick signs. The forbidden Lac Baker trail!!!

We look at the signs. We gather. We discuss. We pee. We discuss some more. 

Its a GO. The trail is fun, groomed to perfection, and in seven miles we are cruising down the middle of Lac Baker. Another mile and a small sign out on the staked trail on the lake, a relais.

We pull in, and it really is a full fledged restaurant. The food truly was amazing.  I thought this area would be remote. Lots of camps on the lake, lots of people around like maybe a town near by.

We had pulled it off, another new trail and place to eat.

A great trip back and as always after a stellar day, a good happy hour.

mike

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

5 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

How many miles was the round trip to Baker Lac Mike?

I seem to remember 110 going down and 100 coming back.

Probably  90 if you went south on 85,  west on 35 to the Packington Trail,  OR  85S to the first right below Cabano.

mike

Overnight snow seemed to range from two inches to several inches as we traversed to Club Hiboux today.  The club has had a makeover on the outside and a small amount on the inside. Lunch was very good. Jack & Sandy, Jak, and I.

After lunch we dropped down to the RR bed #35. Coming off it  Jack and Jak mentioned how bad the stutter bumps were. They ride the Rene X, 850 & 900T.  Told them I was pretty comfy going over them on my 900na Rene Adrenaline. Thus started a round of back to the RR bed trying each others sleds.  Driving the 900T I found it softer on very small bumps, one or two inch. But on anything better, mine seemed smoother. ON the bigger bumps going across a bridge, my Adrenaline soaked them up much better, almost floated over them where the X's were a little too bouncy in the rear. I was so happy to have a chance to do this test as I so much wanted an X, but couldn't afford one. That want is now gone. Loved the 900T motor.

Tonight Gary from Ct., Jack and Sandy, Jak and I went to L'Estiminent Pub. Super meal, super beers. A nice relaxing evening with friends.

mike

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

The above restaurant is a nice place.  Not accessible by sled but only a few minutes by truck from the Universal.

We had a great time with a late season ride this past week.  We enjoyed the company, the trails, the food and of course the happy hour.  Saw a few more QuebecRiders at the Universal. 

For all of you still riding, enjoy this wonderful March weather.  Back in CT it has been in the 50's and 60's.

Jack & Sandi

Jack, Sandy and Gary headed home this morning. Jak also decided to leave. I will head Maine bound tomorrow morning, but wanted one day to chill. Had a fantastic time riding with the crew, Sandy was an awesome leader of the pack, keeping a fun and brisk pace day in and day out.

The past two days it has snowed almost continuously except a few hours yesterday afternoon when we got freezing rain.

The groomer report this morning looked really weak. Not much overnight. 

Late morning today the sun came out and after seeing sled after sled head out, I couldn't stand it. Suited up and rode south for a year end final Hamburger Chevalier at Chevelier Frontier club house. Sun and snow all the way down, snowing all the way back. Trails were hard packed, a couple groomed,, most smooth and those with a few bumps were small bumps absorbed nicely by the suspension.

13,140 miles on the '19 Renegade 900. Same bearings, pretty much same everything. Never had a failed start. Love this sled. Might it be time to trade? Not sure. Dream would be to keep this for solo riding and get a new Polaris Matryx 650 Legacy for when I ride with groups. Something kind a fun to drive.  Probably not in the cards, certainly not in the bank, but fun to dream.

mike

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

Mike, great dream, I had that dream, and did it, a 2019 850 backcountry and a 2020 expedition extreme, was able to go places i never could with the extreme, and the backcountry is a great trail sled. You drive twice as many miles as me each season, I still work. That 650 looks like a great sled, dreams don't retire, just do it. happy trails, Bob.