2020 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions

mikerider

On 3/8/2020 at 10:04 PM, mikerider said:

To

On 3/8/2020 at 10:04 PM, mikerider said:

Trails were beautiful, traffic lighter the farther south we got. Coffee at Frontier club, and off to the Packington Loop.  We top of our gas in Packington and march on, We come to the intersection of New Brunswick signs. The forbidden Lac Baker trail!!!

We look at the signs. We gather. We discuss. We pee. We discuss some more. 

Its a GO. The trail is fun, groomed to perfection, and in seven miles we are cruising down the middle of Lac Baker. Another mile and a small sign out on the staked trail on the lake, a relais.

day's goal was the southernmost area below RDL, the Packington Loop. We left in snow flurries which quickly changed to a blue sunny sky for the day.

Trails were beautiful, traffic lighter the farther south we got. Coffee at Frontier club, and off to the Packington Loop.  We top of our gas in Packington and march on, We come to the intersection of New Brunswick signs. The forbidden Lac Baker trail!!!

We look at the signs. We gather. We discuss. We pee. We discuss some more. 

Its a GO. The trail is fun, groomed to perfection, and in seven miles we are cruising down the middle of Lac Baker. Another mile and a small sign out on the staked trail on the lake, a relais.

We pull in, and it really is a full fledged restaurant. The food truly was amazing.  I thought this area would be remote. Lots of camps on the lake, lots of people around like maybe a town near by.

We had pulled it off, another new trail and place to eat.

A great trip back and as always after a stellar day, a good happy hour.

mike

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

Mike you mentioned you gassed up in Packington. Is the station right in the village? Don’t see a gas station on Google earth.

May head to Baker Lac then over to Moose Valley tomorrow.

Thanks Steve

On the Packington loop, we did it counter clockwise starting off Trail #35. As I recall there are two villages on loop, one is Packington and pretty sure Packington, not the other village, had the gas station. It is a left off the trail as you come up to the village.  Well signed. Just a small store with a gas pump. Easy access. Going counter clockwise the gas is before you branch off into New Brunswick. Believe the restaurant at Baker Lac also had a pump, although not positive, was not paying attention. Needed food at Baker, not gas!

Have fun, nice loop.

mike

Looped over to saint pamphile and back to riviere du-loup.  Went threw the tunnels by universal wow I'm tall and that's a tight fit lol.  Went 559 to 5 west over to 557south.  Jumped on 35 west first tracks nice carpet ride but had to watch out a couple pine trees were down.  Hit 55 south into saint pamphile.   Trails were good small chop all fresh snowed.  Lots of trails were only broke one sled wide.  Decided to run 557 back to 35 nice fresh snow sliding threw the corners lots of fun.  Right on 35 hammer down broke full width now.  Trees have been removed.   Turned onto 526 run that up to 85 small chop all the way not bad.  85 back to the hotel.  Small chop on 85 also. Didn't see tracks from a groomer all day.  Hope they are out tonight.  Thinking loop up by rimouski tomorrow. 

20200314_123635.jpg

20200314_123639.jpg

20200314_114218.jpg

20200314_094237.jpg

20200314_083748.jpg

Today's run 252 miles.  Ran 85 south to degelis 85 was a flat top highway. Filled up at the rest area and decided to run 571 up to 35 well the very beginning was groomed nice and flat then we passed the groomer. 571 was blown in with single track in places other times no tracks to follow.  Made it interesting when we came to a road and there was a good four foot plus drop to the road where it had been snow blown by the town.  I slid down the bank and eased the sleds down.  Back on 35 east groomed but loose on top so we were drifting the corners great times.  Took 35 to 5 for the powerline run back to base camp.  This was all groomed nice just watch for the drifts they sneak up on you.  Decided to take 565 over to 567 back to 85 back in the hotel great ride where is the loop tomorrow going to be?  Btw saw some guys from Maine said gaspesi trails had closed due to the snow they got? 

20200315_083133.jpg

20200315_104527.jpg

20200315_132025.jpg

20200315_155717.jpg

20200315_155611.jpg

Today's run was down 85 trail was flat and hard with the outside temp of 7degrees.  Right onto 526 nice and smooth still awsome.   We took a left on 35 got gas in pohenegamook btw it's about 5k down the lake from the north side.  On another note saw like 20 deer from the lake up to 561.  We stayed on 35 and cruised over to squatec for a top off.  From 85 about halfway across was not groomed yet.  We took 571 north was awsome nice and wide and groomed flat.  At 5 I decided it was to early to head for the hotel my great gf said she was fine with extra miles😀.  Down 5 to club de motoneige.  Dropped off the backside on 518 we ran this over to 571. This trail was beautiful as far as the scenery but alot of it has not been groomed.  At 571 we jumped up to 5 and headed in we cruised down 5 nice and smooth.  Went straight  onto 565 it is our new way into RDL.  242 miles great day see what happens tomorrow. 

20200316_151300.jpg

20200316_144048.jpg

20200316_124124.jpg

20200316_085944.jpg

20200316_151308.jpg

Today's run was much shorter grey skies and flurries today.  But the trails were groomed flat again I dont want to go home lol.  We decided to take 567 by the river this trail is very scenic with the right weather.  I suggest people drop off of 5 and check it out if you get the chance. Back on 5 we cruised over to 571 down to 544 west.  All Smoth except the occasional drift.  At 565 we drop down to 85 perfect glass think we only saw five sleds all day.  Cruise up to 544 take a left for a little detour at 40 we jump over to 526 north all flat I love this area.  At 85 we head back to the hotel.  Early start on black road tomorrow.  About 134 miles today but reached my goal of 4000 for the year.  Wish I could stay but back to work.  Noticed most club houses are closed now from covid 19.  But regular gas stations are open business as usual.  

20200317_081043.jpg

20200317_081046.jpg

20200317_121339.jpg