2020 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions

mikerider

Arrived at RDL.   Looks like about 10 to 12 inches of new snow by the hotel, hopefully more heading south and east. Groomer has not been by the hotel yet, front desk says the club called and they will be out dragging in force tonight.  Light snow just started  few minutes ago and the area does look wintry.

Driving up through Jackman, looked a little iffy for riding but probably okay. North of St. Marie,  Montmagny and across to RDL looked like it might be okay.  Few swollen streams near Montmagny.  Only saw one groomed trail the whole trip. Very few tracks tracks on a few trails, none on most, but, the storm was only yesterday.

mike

Glad you're in your office Mr Mayor! Looking forward to your reports, hoping to get up to put some miles on and enjoy a glass or two of some fine rouge. How long will you be staying this trip? Take care Mike, see you soon!

Terry

Hi Terry,    A wine or two would be great. Let's make it glasses of wine this time and not bottles!  Hope to see you this winter.

Holding off reporting much until I actually ride the trails tomorrow. This new snow may need packing if there is no base under it.

Gary,      Time to cross the ocean, isn't it?  I am not allowed to tell you that this is where Harry and Meagan are hiding out. I had to sign a non disclosure.

mike

3 hours ago, mikerider said:

Arrived at RDL.   Looks like about 10 to 12 inches of new snow by the hotel, hopefully more heading south and east. Groomer has not been by the hotel yet, front desk says the club called and they will be out dragging in force tonight.  Light snow just started  few minutes ago and the area does look wintry.

Driving up through Jackman, looked a little iffy for riding but probably okay. North of St. Marie,  Montmagny and across to RDL looked like it might be okay.  Few swollen streams near Montmagny.  Only saw one groomed trail the whole trip. Very few tracks tracks on a few trails, none on most, but, the storm was only yesterday.

mike

Arrived at the Mayor’s location about the same time as Mike, we chatted briefly and than we went out to do a trail conditions check and found acceptable to good riding conditions. As Mike said the new snow is 10/12” a loose and dry.  Once the groomers get this packed and it has a chance to firm up it will be good going.  We ran a quick 70 miles down the 85 to 565 to St Hubert, 544, back to local 44 and back to the hotel.  As you all know, once you get south of the adventurers club house the conditions get much better with lots of base and new snow to work with.  We met the groomers working the access trail into the hotel on the way in as Mike reported.  That trail too is very rideable with adequate snow cover.  We have come into RDL with conditions much worse before lol.

Looking forward to seeing REVCT and Mike this week at the Mayors!

Happy Trails

RR

7F98C403-69FE-4BB0-9CC9-9CD63B6B4129.thumb.jpeg.9552b135d8909d364a9fd1e332a5cfc0.jpeg54EC5642-AB08-4F92-8CBE-C4557BE17EC5.thumb.jpeg.8d54bc6e1b786c444dd19c669963e594.jpegBADE2DF1-BE0C-46DC-8A50-95D4B9EB8794.thumb.jpeg.a7298fdce411ef7adfe9ee2ae01a72e5.jpeg862C7690-BD48-40E3-83CD-884A1EB12A71.thumb.jpeg.72a2179df510c6424b4f642d62201553.jpegBC08AE3A-BE52-4E94-ABB7-824029C0194B.thumb.jpeg.88f41a26589f2723673e8ceb7a6a1bbb.jpeg

Edited by RoadRunner

2 hours ago, smclelan said:

Let me know Roadrunner if you and your merry crew head eastward checking trails.  I am hoping to land in PALC Wednesday night with a buddy and head for the Universal if conditions are favorable.

SM, we plan to run the rimouski/ and down towards Amqui areas tomorrow, should have a report of some type for you than.  RR

11 hours ago, mikerider said:

Hi Terry,    A wine or two would be great. Let's make it glasses of wine this time and not bottles!  Hope to see you this winter.

Holding off reporting much until I actually ride the trails tomorrow. This new snow may need packing if there is no base under it.

Gary,      Time to cross the ocean, isn't it?  I am not allowed to tell you that this is where Harry and Meagan are hiding out. I had to sign a non disclosure.

mike

Mike we fly 3 weeks today  4th feb arrive at delta on the 5th..  can't wait  ...  and as for this megan thing it will end in tears mark my words..   

23 hours ago, mikerider said:

mike

Now Mike, I'm only looking out for your health, there's no better medicine for your heart! Just ask Trailblazer, he will back me up! Hope the trails were good to you today, will be watching for your reports. In the meantime, a picture of this years wine list at the Universal would be nice to peruse....just sayin!

First day of riding for the new season. I was a little worried if the conditions would be good enough. Well, from what we saw today, it was  amazing, midwinter conditions in most areas we rode.  Yesterday's afternoon flurries left about 2 to 5 inches in most areas. Trees are caked with snow. The groomers had been over about 95 percent of the trails we rode. Jack and Sandi, Jak, and I had a great day.  Ate at Chevelliers Club House.

We started out going west along the St. Lawrence. Not as much snow there, but enough that it was very good. From then on perfection. We next headed south to trail #5 and dropped down to 561 going south. We went down the lake, it used to be 35 and is now 561 this year. Lake was kinda slushy in spots. Got gas then lunch. Continued southeast on 35 to almost Cabanno and began working our way north  weaving in and out of some of the loops off the rail bed.

Sandi did an amazing job leading followed by her posse of misfits.

FYI   My ATM card would not work this year at the ATM inside the Universel. Desk clerk believe a new ATM card with a chip is now needed. Drove down to the bank and their's accepted my card.

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

22 hours ago, mikerider said:

RR,       Thanks for the report and pics. Looks pretty nice, can't wait to get out there tomorrow.

mike

Mike, looks like you guys found some good going too today, as we mentioned at breakfast, we went east towards Rimouski and down to St Gabriel de Rimouski for a great lunch at the Restaurant de table Le Maman. I would definitely stop here again for lunch.  We to were pleased with the conditions. Yesterday when we were out the snow was loose and pliable, last night the base set up nicely and we had very similiar riding conditions as Mike described, and on top of that a Blue sky day!  One definitely will not be disappointed with the riding in this region now. We talked with a gentlemen in Rimouski who said that this good snow had just come with that storm and the riding was not that good prior.

Tomorrow we head east to meet some friends riding up from Lac Etchemin.  We will connect  for lunch at St Pamphile with them and ride back to RDL for the night. Here are some pics that resemble Mikes, just great conditions for sure

RRDAC41008-7C84-44FB-9F02-AF95AD7643C5.thumb.jpeg.9eb4cc8c0164c619f444d3112f9ce717.jpeg7572E8B9-A508-4D9B-8A47-D9FC9570F13F.thumb.jpeg.265eb388d18cbaef6e69f385480dc538.jpeg7AB23BD8-D44C-4D46-A8C6-97AF57664B68.thumb.jpeg.abb37af00d1a65084590ab479dfee22c.jpeg376A14DB-0FB8-4AAF-ABF0-39021C7C72C0.thumb.jpeg.6aaf6b9d75b62eebc2fa7ad14b11d57d.jpeg89D5DF4A-95C4-4B11-91B7-891175E34F57.thumb.jpeg.f102d86f44d99c4386e41195be1ceafb.jpegCD24B380-9282-4B0C-8C09-6E57E7CDB11A.thumb.jpeg.ce9423872bcc83b7ee1792587baaed42.jpeg

Terry. Can't believe you are thinking of wine instead of riding.  You have to ride first to earn your wine! Can't imagine you haven't been out yet.

And Tom. I am a little jealous, its in the single digits here tonight. 

Steven,  we will drink, and drink some more.

2 hours ago, smclelan said:

Awesome looking pictures! Hoping to be at the Universal Thursday evening.

SM, you should be fine coming up thru Groomers region and into Rimouski and onto RDL, there was as much snow in and around the perimeter of Rimouski as you would normally see. The Power line west of Remou is perfect as always!  Have a great ride

13 hours ago, mikerider said:

Terry. Can't believe you are thinking of wine instead of riding.  You have to ride first to earn your wine! Can't imagine you haven't been out yet.

And Tom. I am a little jealous, its in the single digits here tonight. 

Steven,  we will drink, and drink some more.

Damn thing called life getting in the way Mike, need to drink wine to ease the pain! Seriously though, getting ducks all lined up to prepare for lots of miles in Feb & March. Have done a couple hundred miles up at camp in the NEK, but getting anxious to cross the border with all of the great pics and reports you guys are posting so keep them coming! Maybe will make it up mid next week, will you still be in your office?

Yesterday made our way east along the river to Isle Verte.  Trail all the way thru to trail #5 at the Verte club house is not fully open yet.  Someone told us maybe two days they would be open. We passed crews out staking the trails in that area. Had to turn around and back track. Then made our way south to Cabanno for pizza to find our favorite pizza place not open for lunch on Wednesday, (and closed on Monday and Tuesdays).  Tim Horton's it was. Jak's turbo 900T is only taking about 3 litres more than my 900 ACE on most fill ups. He was quite pleased to see 105 on a very short run, and now will be forever known as Turbo Joe. Went south on the trails on the east side of trail #85 and came back north on the west side. All excellent. Picked up another 2 to 4 inches of fluff Tuesday night.

mike

Today did the short way to Squatech and around to Cabanno.  Stopped in Squatech to have coffee at one of my favorite stops, ' Belle Autofois Restaurant', to find it shut down and for sale. Very sad.  Ate at our favorite pizza place in Cabanno, believe its called Le Petite Bar. Jak and I agree its the best pizza we have ever had. Get the thin crust.

Another 3 inches of fluff fell this afternoon.

mike