Crossing the border.....

EastMark

Always have the passports of course but got the Maine Real ID which is the enhanced license. Didnt bring my passport. Registry told me they are good for US, Mexico, Canada.....but...thru TSA only I found out. 

Used it coming thru Jackman to Quebec. No issue. US Border Patrol informed me coming back thru Jackman though it isnt good for Border Crossings...only TSA....and he has had several people like myself misinformed. He said the computer showed we cross sledding and have passports and let me slide. He also said if I got the wrong Officer wrong day it could have been a huge PIA/delay for us. Wont happen again !

Figured my stupidity might save someone a headache.

Edited by EastMark
Cant type

A few years ago at route 91 Newport, VT I didn't have my passport.  Into Quebec, no problem.  Coming back thru U.S. Customs, a few more questions as to why I didn't have my passport but they let me in OK.  I don't know about now.

Jack & Sandi

Interesting ! The Officer actually said going into Canada you can have an expired license and they will likely let it go...but US is tougher.

I always heard Canada was tough especially DUI’s, etc.

Bottom line...If its run by any Govt....it makes no sense. Why would I expect consistency at our US border ?

Meantime cross from Mexico illegally without ever having contributed a penny to our great country....you get more rights than us and you just may get free healthcare. Don't get me going. Haha

Going forward....Im bringing my passport just to make sure they cant screw up my play time. 🙂

18 minutes ago, GSX800 said:

When it came time to renew my passport, I added the passport card for $30.  When it came time to renew my license, I didn’t bother getting the enhanced version, which of course, NY charges $30 for.

Exact same thing I did. Andrew  Coumo gets too much of my money already.

Edited by snowmaster2112

You mean never miss a photo opportunity Andrew?  It would be like a no holds barred match if Cuomo and Schumer had the same photo opportunity!  Might be better than McGregor v Cowboy in the UFC fight tonight?

Edited by GSX800

On 1/18/2020 at 1:49 PM, Bluenose said:

Legally, all you need to enter Canada is some sort of photo ID.  It's entering the US that a Passport/Nexus card is required.

Not completely  correct, the NY enhanced license is ok to come back to NY at least and  also crossed into NH from Quebec last winter with no problem (land and water)

On 1/16/2020 at 9:39 PM, PLAYHARD said:

NY "Enhanced" driver's license was welcomed at the Northway NY/QC border crossing in both directions this summer. 

You are right, the NY enhanced license allows you to cross both ways on land or water

9 minutes ago, EastMark said:

The (shocking) takeaway here is each crossing has different rules for what they accept. Amazing to me.

I will carry both just so they cant screw up my time.

You can carry whatever you want but if the dude (or dudette) in the booth hands you a little slip of paper and say's "see that building over there" .....expect AT LEAST a minimum one hour delay. I travel often with a buddy that has a pistol permit and they seem to zero in on him like flies on shit and bring on 1000 questions. 

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

You can carry whatever you want but if the dude (or dudette) in the booth hands you a little slip of paper and say's "see that building over there" .....expect AT LEAST a minimum one hour delay. I travel often with a buddy that has a pistol permit and they seem to zero in on him like flies on shit and bring on 1000 questions. 

I hate that little piece of paper, have seen it too many times!