2020 Trail Conditions

revct1

Just a quick report.  Sandi and I trailered to the DoubleTree (old Four Points) in Quebec yesterday from RDL.  Jason and Yushen drove up and are renting a two-up for the weeekend.  It is very quiet here.  About a dozen rigs and only a few sleds overnight.

This morning, Jason picked up the Grand Tour 900 Turbo with zero miles on it.  A nice looking sled.  This will give them a good ride for the weekend.

We headed east on 3 for about 20 miles to the junction with 320 just before St Anne.  3 has been groomed but it is a little thin.  A clunker in the trail every now and then. There happens to be a check point here at the junction this morning.  I showed the trail warden my paperwork because we still haven't received the stickers.  No problem.  He said 320 is a cul-de-sac but it is fine going toward L'Etape.  We run 3 until we get to the little connector to 369.  As we go up in elevation, the conditions get much better.  We get to the 369 junction and another check point.  I go to get my printout and he says "You have the paper?"  I nod my head yes and he motions for me to go along.  That was easy.

369 is fine.  This is mid winter riding and this trail is superb.  The snow cover is deep and the trees are draped with the white fluffy stuff.  The sky is blue and we are just cruising along.

We pull into L'Etape and this is packed.  Everyone is heading to the Lac.  There must be 40 - 50 sleds here.  Tank up and in for lunch.  Nothing exquisite, just good food.

Back on the trail.  We work our way over to 23 south.  From L'Etape to 23 it is rough.  It just gets so much traffic that it be groomed every hour and still have bumps.  About 5 miles down 23 and things start to smooth out again.  Sandi picks up the pace and we are off.  A lot of traffic around L'Etape but you don't have to go far and most everyone disappears.  A couple of sleds pass us in each direction.  All of 23 is fine.  It usually gets groomed for the weekend and they didn't miss this one.

As we approach St Raymond, a little more traffic.  The locals are out on a Friday afternoon.  The trail shows a little more wear near town.  We get to the Cat dealer next to Roquemont and the gas pumps are gone.  Not a big deal we can gas up in the morning in town but it was convenient with the pumps next to the hotel.  Roquemont is full.  Trailers all over and the sleds have been pulling in since we got here.  I think the trail 3 closure has shifted everyone from DoubleTree to Roquemont.

A very nice ride today but it was on the cold side, -20C.  The forecast is for cold overnight with 5-10 cm.  Tomorrow another 5 cm.  That should help the trails down here closer to the St Laurent.

Jack & Sandi

10 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

No more fuel at the roquemont?

No , we were there this week and surprised when we took of for L Etape and no gas pumps. Probably down the 23 into town, but dont know how far, Im sure Jack will post.

30 minutes ago, 800steve said:

No , we were there this week and surprised when we took of for L Etape and no gas pumps. Probably down the 23 into town, but dont know how far, Im sure Jack will post.

Just after you cross the road from the parking of Dion Moto is a trail on the left. Local short trail then back across road into gas/depanneur. We been going there for years for gas and supplies. Surely not as easy as right next to Roquemont but gotta have the gas.

Iceman

Great tip. What makes this a great site is this type intel shared.

Now....6ABAC7BE-297E-45C9-8A96-2E37482C25CD.thumb.jpeg.55bfb0adddfe900f9f1b5dfda7814216.jpegIm no french expert.....but what this next to gas ? Some kind of fancy Canadian dog park complete with french doggy bidet’s ?

Inquiring minds need to know....ha.

Safe travels Jack! Sounds like you guys are in for another great trip !

Mark

We were at RDL with Mike and Joe earlier this week.  This is our last day of this week trip.  A gentle ride back to Double Tree Quebec to the truck.  A little snowfall last night.  I haven't measured but the forecast was for 5-10 cm and maybe another 5 cm today.

Jack & Sandi

There is another gas station, depending on which way you are coming or going, with a lot of other stores. 

Just east of the 23 and 73 intersection on trail 73 is the groomer's garage.  There is a sign on 73 at Route des Pioniers, stating gaz 1 km.  It is more like 2 km but the spur runs right along the side of the road and it is very easy to get to.  There is an Ultramar, bank, McDonalds, SAQ and other stores.

Jack & Sandi