Oxygen Helmet - Heated Garage Issue

Signfan

Anyone have issues with the heated garage for the sun visor not working?  Mine won't clear the shield of fog or frost when you flip it up in it.  Left it for like 10 mins and still nothing.  Is this a common failure and if so what's the fix? I've also been getting droplets of condensation running down the inside of the visor.  Not between the lenses (I have the updated shield) but down the inside of the shield closest to my face.  Is there a cure for this issue?

36 minutes ago, Signfan said:

No it's working.  I pulled the rear light out and tested the harness going into the helmet to the garage and shield.  I only get resistance on one pair of wires.  The second set is open line.

Mine has never kept the sun visor clean while up But cleans up quickly when down. I get the water on inside to because it's to warm. It is a cold day helmet for sure. Personally if I lost 30lbs it would be fine but then I'd need a smaller helmet.

Ran mine this weekend not sure if I like it yet I don't like my head that hot.  Only way I could keep it from building ice in front of my mouth was on high.  And I also had droplets running down the inside of the shield?  The garage seemed to work fine.  Another thing guys are you tucking the wind curtain inside you jacket?   This seemed to restrict my head movements.   Second day I put it on the outside seems to work better but should be just a little longer In front and back.  Cant win.  My girlfriend has a new mission helmet that thing worked awsome no problems at all very happy with it.

Ran my Oxygen helmet last week for the first time w/o incident. On a recommendation from a friend, I did leave the setting on max / 3. As a result, the helmet did make my head feel warm at times. 

I was told the rear light would brighten when the sled's brake was applied. A bright idea :  ) if in fact that is suppose to happen. I never did verify it or if they were putting me on. 

I transitioned from the BVS2 helmet the latter of which I thought could not be better, aside from the extremely expensive heated shields, of which I went through many. 

3 hours ago, nyskidooerinnewhampshire said:

I was told the rear light would brighten when the sled's brake was applied. A bright idea :  ) if in fact that is suppose to happen. I never did verify it or if they were putting me on. 

I do not see that as possible. Your just plugged in to 12v power, no way there is a signal to helmet light. I agree the skirt is too short in back. You got me thinking leaving skirt out might be better. Anyone else try this?

7 minutes ago, Blueblood said:

Was just talking to my girlfriend about sewing some material on it making it longer.  What do you guys think?

I found on ebay a yard of Gore-Tex for 20.00 

Was going to make blanket for my passengers with it.

It may do the trick.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Gore-Tex-Performance-Shell-Material-Fabric-Sewing-Waterproof-Windproof/251584650369?hash=item3a939d1c81:g:VesAAOxye5BREjwY251584650369?hash=item3a939d1c81:g:VesAA

GutZ

Edited by MrGutz

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 8:47 PM, smclelan said:

I had a wire go bad so shield was not getting steady voltage.  By chance did your riding partners say the LED light in the back was flickering?

My light just started flickering, but the shield is fine, what is the fix...a bad wire or a new helmet...I really like this helmet...I will look at the wiring on the weekend.

6 minutes ago, smclelan said:

A new cable is my recommendation.  Plug it in, if the flickering stops take the old cable to your dealer for replacement under warranty.  Having a spare is always good.  That is a positive point of the Oxygen, 4 years warranty.

Thanks Steve, I was on my last trip with 1 cable and realized I was screwed if I lost it, you are going nowhere if you loose your cable!!

13 hours ago, smclelan said:

A new cable is my recommendation.  Plug it in, if the flickering stops take the old cable to your dealer for replacement under warranty.  Having a spare is always good.  That is a positive point of the Oxygen, 4 years warranty.

I "think" the helmet is 4 years and the shield/cord is 1 year, hopefully they are both 4 but not sure.

Also carry a copy of your purchase receipt for the helmet or lens or cables. I've had issues getting the lens replaced without in Quebec.

Which I have not argued.... even though ALL Oxygen Helmets are under warranty.

GutZ

So after a trip to the dealer their conclusion is the helmet works as designed.  It does create some heat on the flip down visor, but not enough to clear condensation.  I am finding riding with the main visor cracked open for a minute or so will clear everything up when riding with a little speed.  I'm disappointed in this feature of the helmet which in my view was over marketed, but still generally happy with the helmet overall.  The main shield works great and it is by far the warmest helmet I've ever owned.  No more frost bite or windchill on the neck for this guy.  Cord management system is also a great idea that works really well.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:20 PM, Signfan said:

Anyone have issues with the heated garage for the sun visor not working?  Mine won't clear the shield of fog or frost when you flip it up in it.  Left it for like 10 mins and still nothing.  Is this a common failure and if so what's the fix? I've also been getting droplets of condensation running down the inside of the visor.  Not between the lenses (I have the updated shield) but down the inside of the shield closest to my face.  Is there a cure for this issue?

Here is what I found.  When my sun visor fogged, I put it up and just like you after a few minutes I brought it down and it was still fogged.  But it seemed that once it was back down the fog would quickly go away.  I'm assuming the fog goes away from the heat of the shield.  What is strange though is if that is truly the case, then why does it fog in the first place?  I was wondering if the shield is fogging on both sides but when lifting it maybe the garage is only removing the fog on the side closest to your face, hence when you lower it the shield removes the fog from the front side????  Don't know, but I am mixed on this helmet.  Want to like, then it only takes one small issue and I'm ticked off the rest of the day because I spent $600 on it.  Then next day there are no issues and I love it. Rinse, repeat, etc.....

8 minutes ago, doubler said:

Here is what I found.  When my sun visor fogged, I put it up and just like you after a few minutes I brought it down and it was still fogged.  But it seemed that once it was back down the fog would quickly go away.  I'm assuming the fog goes away from the heat of the shield.  What is strange though is if that is truly the case, then why does it fog in the first place?  I was wondering if the shield is fogging on both sides but when lifting it maybe the garage is only removing the fog on the side closest to your face, hence when you lower it the shield removes the fog from the front side????  Don't know, but I am mixed on this helmet.  Want to like, then it only takes one small issue and I'm ticked off the rest of the day because I spent $600 on it.  Then next day there are no issues and I love it. Rinse, repeat, etc.....

I think the helmet is sealed around your neck and your breath condenses on the sun visor when it is in the top of the helmet, I see the same thing with mine and like others said a second or 2 with the shield cracked and it is clear, and like others, the warmest helmet I have ever worn, that with the absolute 0 jacket and you cannot feel the cold at 30 below, wish I had this stuff 25 years ago!!

21 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

I think the helmet is sealed around your neck and your breath condenses on the sun visor when it is in the top of the helmet, I see the same thing with mine and like others said a second or 2 with the shield cracked and it is clear, and like others, the warmest helmet I have ever worn, that with the absolute 0 jacket and you cannot feel the cold at 30 below, wish I had this stuff 25 years ago!!

I also have the Oxygen helmet, Absolute 0 jacket and pants, damn good gear! You will never be cold, if anything heat management can be a challenge. Thin balaclavas and base layers.

I agree the warmest helmet i have ever owned.  I not sure if thats good or bad. The shield seals tight and is draft free so i like that.  My eyes were always tearing with other helmets.  I run hot with my cheap Irish skin. This helmet should have better venting.  How does the humidity in the helmet exhaust? 

I also hate that it came with the amber sun visor.  On a sunny day no where near dark enough for my blue eyes.  I just bought the smoke one and put it on.  That was not as easy as the instructions indicate.  Even found a video from BRP where he takes it off and says how easy it is.  Sure it was easy coming off, but the video didn't show how to put the new one back in.  It's obvious how, but it still wasn't easy.  Pushing and pushing but could not pop it onto the pegs.  Needless to say now I am in one of those moods again with this helmet. 

Edited by doubler

14 minutes ago, doubler said:

I also hate that it came with the amber sun visor.  On a sunny day no where near dark enough for my blue eyes.  I just bought the smoke one and put it on.  That was not as easy as the instructions indicate.  Even found a video from BRP where he takes it off and says how easy it is.  Sure it was easy coming off, but the video didn't show how to put the new one back in.  It's obvious how, but it still wasn't easy.  Pushing and pushing but could not pop it onto the pegs.  Needless to say now I am in one of those moods again with this helmet. 

my friend is wearing his favorite sun glasses instead of using the flip down sun visor, I tried it and it works great.

2 hours ago, Mac said:

I agree the warmest helmet i have ever owned.  I not sure if thats good or bad. The shield seals tight and is draft free so i like that.  My eyes were always tearing with other helmets.  I run hot with my cheap Irish skin. This helmet should have better venting.  How does the humidity in the helmet exhaust? 

It doesn't.  That's the design flaw for sure.  They need to incorporate something like the AMS system in it like the ckx mission helmer has, but with no mouthpiece.  An actual wired heated flip down sun visor would be the trick as well.  Like I said still a great helmet.  Despite my disapointments I'm still glad I bought them.