Please

Kyles dad

1 hour ago, Kyles dad said:

Keep right!!!!

Just got back from a nice 800 mile loop. 
Way to many people running down the middle of the trail.

Please keep your hands on the handle bars and stay right.

thank you

There still seems to be folks in the snowmobile community who are continuing to promote hand signals to approaching sleds about the number in your group. 
JUST STOP IT!

I agree about hand signals. Who would go around a sharp  corner and take their hands off the car steering wheel.  My  bitch is when people do meet the first rider in a group a lot of people don't slow down knowing there is more riders coming.  Snowmobiles are made to be driven with two hands. Only my opinion. 

all my close calls have been from people using hand signals.it seems to me that when i meet you on a turn your first response is to signal and then move to the right .i rather have you on your side then that hand signal. and if your one of those people that get annoyed because we don't signal GET OVER IT. enjoy the ride and have a nice day

59 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

I agree about hand signals. Who would go around a sharp  corner and take their hands off the car steering wheel.  My  bitch is when people do meet the first rider in a group a lot of people don't slow down knowing there is more riders coming.  Snowmobiles are made to be driven with two hands. Only my opinion. 

Thats why I got and installed the Ridelite on my sled this year. I feel liberated now that I am not taking my hands off the bars and especially when it's in corners.

Safer for me and safer for others. Simple, superior & low cost product that works great

Hand signals are useless information. What does it change? 

If you are not riding like there is a sled coming at you from the other way around each corner. You are doing it wrong. 

Keep Right. 

BOTH HANDS on the handlebars AT ALL TIMES!!  Hand signals suck.  Never cross the imaginary yellow line down the middle of the trail. Right turns are easier than left turns therefore when turning right always hug tight the right edge of the trail (the guy coming the other way is turning left and probably over the yellow line)!  Also lower your speed when passing oncoming sleds. 

1 hour ago, Florida Snowman said:

BOTH HANDS on the handlebars AT ALL TIMES!!  Hand signals suck.  Never cross the imaginary yellow line down the middle of the trail. Right turns are easier than left turns therefore when turning right always hug tight the right edge of the trail (the guy coming the other way is turning left and probably over the yellow line)!  Also lower your speed when passing oncoming sleds. 

Agree 100% but I find its easier to stay in my lane when going around left turn. I let her hug the right side of trail while turning left. When turning right I slow a bit to make sure I stay in my lane. Turning right is more difficult for me. I love it when a group of 8 go by and I can see all of em at same time because they are too close to each other and all 8 signal. I say to myself "Are you kidding me"

Edited by Snobeeler

Another thing I  think about is the difference between say  a 2005 sled and a 2018 sled. The 05 sled you rode down the trail 55 and you were on your toes. The 2018 and newer sleds, and we discuss this, so many trails are so flat and straight you can go 70 and its like sitting in a chair.  Everyone knows it doesn't take long to get to 70 on any of the new sleds. Lots of people you meet are going faster than 70 too. Only my thoughts. 

3 hours ago, iceman said:

Hand signals are useless information. What does it change? 

If you are not riding like there is a sled coming at you from the other way around each corner. You are doing it wrong. 

Keep Right. 

Well said,Thank You !!!

On the blind twisties which we have a lot of on the trails near me I always ride with 2 fingers on the brake lever, never fails there is always a few sleds every time I go out seriously in the middle or on my side in those corners. When I see the first sled I back off cause it happens often that the next sled or two are using more than their side of the trail trying to keep up with their buddy. 

50 minutes ago, grumpysanta said:

TWO HANDS--keep right - AND turn your HEADPHONES down so you hear my horn when i go passed..  RIDE SAFE 

Yeah and look in your rear view mirror as you pass so you can see my one finger salute!😁😁😁😁😁

1 hour ago, grumpysanta said:

Did you get out much around your house >?

Been out two weekends, my place to Tremblant trails were decent. Last weekend on Sat we went from my place to Duhamel. Trails were decent most of the way there via Vendee, But mild weather and heavy traffic were hard on them, and they were beaten up on the way back via lac des Plage until we hit the railway bed that holds up well. 

On 1/27/2020 at 5:17 PM, 800R MXZ X said:

90% of the people I see...don’t notice people are behind them. Best practice is to assume someone is always coming the other way.

Any kind of signaling guarantees 3 bits of (useless) information:

#1) They're looking for your fingers instead of looking at the trail directly in front of them!

#2) They have no clue how many riders are behind their group!

#3) They're in 50% control of their handlebars right now! 

And there is only a 50% chance of all the above.

I only try to signal on straight aways, but ive been rethinking that too...

In the Qc we always get questions about the RideLites, no one knows what they are, so I leave my in blink mode in hopes people slow down while passing each other.

Later

GutZ

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 5:17 PM, 800R MXZ X said:

And they should ban the ridelites. 90% of the people I see with these have the light green and don’t notice people are behind them. Best practice is to assume someone is always coming the other way.

Have been waiting to reply to this for some time now. I have gone back and re read all of the comments here and agree with most and totally disagree with some like this one. We all ride differently and in different areas. I personally (nothing new for me) have had more than a  dozen rides this season alone where I do not see ANYONE for 100 miles or MORE. And when I do it sometimes results in a “holy shit” moment. Being a “remote bush basher” I have always felt a moral obligation (to the best of my ability) to signal others while running these remote areas. In towns and busier areas is a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY and my outlook is vastly different. 

I have known about the RideLites for years and this year knowing I was going to be doing more big solo rides was the time to get one. As another poster mentioned “these machines are getting faster and more capable” and I for one admit IM NOT. Anything that can make mine or another riders ride more safe than I’m all for it. 

i am extremely pleased with it and it’s durability so far. My moral obligations are met, no lifting hands off bar and I feel I have done my duty while keeping both YOU and I as safe as possible. I still run into the occasional group in the bush who feels they don’t have (or want) to signal and to you I say “piss off” but most realize the importance and where they are riding and do signal. 

So while the above commenter said “they should ban RideLites” .........this is my take........

if I was “King” for the day I would immediately pass a law that all manufactures have one mounted on the sled upon build.

i would also make it mandatory while riding remote areas with long stretches of “nothing in between” to have and use one. I could care less if someone is behind them and they don’t know it. Because that person too would have one on and it would be self explanatory.

again this is all just my opinion

On 1/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, PLAYHARD said:

Any kind of signaling guarantees 3 bits of (useless) information:

#1) They're looking for your fingers instead of looking at the trail directly in front of them!

#2) They have no clue how many riders are behind their group!

#3) They're in 50% control of their handlebars right now! 

100% agree. Coming into a corner and taking your hand off your steering mechanism is not safe. Stay right and all will be fine.

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Have been waiting to reply to this for some time now. I have gone back and re read all of the comments here and agree with most and totally disagree with some like this one. We all ride differently and in different areas. I personally (nothing new for me) have had more than a  dozen rides this season alone where I do not see ANYONE for 100 miles or MORE. And when I do it sometimes results in a “holy shit” moment. Being a “remote bush basher” I have always felt a moral obligation (to the best of my ability) to signal others while running these remote areas. In towns and busier areas is a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY and my outlook is vastly different. 

I have known about the RideLites for years and this year knowing I was going to be doing more big solo rides was the time to get one. As another poster mentioned “these machines are getting faster and more capable” and I for one admit IM NOT. Anything that can make mine or another riders ride more safe than I’m all for it. 

i am extremely pleased with it and it’s durability so far. My moral obligations are met, no lifting hands off bar and I feel I have done my duty while keeping both YOU and I as safe as possible. I still run into the occasional group in the bush who feels they don’t have (or want) to signal and to you I say “piss off” but most realize the importance and where they are riding and do signal. 

So while the above commenter said “they should ban RideLites” .........this is my take........

if I was “King” for the day I would immediately pass a law that all manufactures have one mounted on the sled upon build.

i would also make it mandatory while riding remote areas with long stretches of “nothing in between” to have and use one. I could care less if someone is behind them and they don’t know it. Because that person too would have one on and it would be self explanatory.

again this is all just my opinion

Amen to that-anything you can do safely to forewarn others is of value!