Please

Kyles dad

1 hour ago, iceman said:

I have started hand signaling while driving my car and truck now. Feels safer. Kinda cold with window down but i wear one glove on left hand. So far so good. 

Don’t forget to use your blinker too and make sure your headlights are on

people who don’t signal (by some method) while riding in the bush are ignorant, selfish & obtuse

I am beginning to question if there is a new generation of riders that don’t give a crap, feel invincible, don’t know how dangerous it is to use what ever part of the  trail they feel like or all of the above. I have been riding for many years and it seems like in the past you would always meet Once in a while the odd sled or sleds that are running the middle of the trail or cornering on the wrong side. It does seem to me to be getting worse ever year and this year it is every weekend I meet on coming sleds that think the whole trail is theirs to use. Multiple times this year I have had to take evasive action hitting the brakes hard and going off the trail to miss a sled totally on my side in a corner. There is some serious education missing somewhere, how hard can it be, it’s keep tight right, not dive right if you see a on coming sled.

35 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

people who don’t signal (by some method) while riding in the bush are ignorant, selfish & obtuse

Is that a compliment?

i resemble that remark

LOL

you will wait a long time to get a signal from me

i do signal though when someone likes to use all the corner and i am coming the other way and I see it

i head straight for them just so they know how it feels 

This thread is comical.  I completely agree with riding right (I do all the time and agree everyone should keep right), but not signaling is way offside.  I tend to think that the ISMA has done their homework on this topic.

http://www.snowmobile.org/safe-riders-videos.html

Some of these hand signals are legal requirements that you must do as a rider or you can be charged.  Cops have been handing out tickets to guys in Timmins Ontario this winter for not signaling.  You signal when you safely can, not as the first thing you do when meeting oncoming sleds.  First get your sled positioned properly on the trail (this should be no big deal if you're the guy riding right).  If you don't have enough control of your sled to be able to signal safely driving with one hand then slow down.  You're riding too fast.

1 minute ago, Signfan said:

Cops have been handing out tickets to guys in Timmins Ontario this winter for not signaling. 

Well with speed limit of 50km and this brilliant law for signals its no wonder I got zero desire to put skiis on snow anywhere but Quebec.

signal if you want its a free country. I do not. 

my choice

This is what the CCSO is promoting

https://www.ccso-ccom.ca/en/hand-signals/

Quebec is one of my favourite places to ride too.  FCMQ is promoting the same thing, but does state it's a personal choice of the riders to determine when it's safe to signal.

https://fcmq.qc.ca/en/safety-informations/hand-signals/

Anyways two sides to every story.  If we all just ride right this topic would be a mute point.

51 minutes ago, Cnc said:

I am beginning to question if there is a new generation of riders that don’t give a crap, feel invincible, don’t know how dangerous it is to use what ever part of the  trail they feel like or all of the above. I have been riding for many years and it seems like in the past you would always meet Once in a while the odd sled or sleds that are running the middle of the trail or cornering on the wrong side. It does seem to me to be getting worse ever year and this year it is every weekend I meet on coming sleds that think the whole trail is theirs to use. Multiple times this year I have had to take evasive action hitting the brakes hard and going off the trail to miss a sled totally on my side in a corner. There is some serious education missing somewhere, how hard can it be, it’s keep tight right, not dive right if you see a on coming sled.

Couldn’t have stated this better myself. And yes I do agree it’s getting worse. What I see is machines now having way more capability than what your average rider has. Otherwise they wouldn’t be cutting straight lines in the corners encroaching on your side and creating a possibly deadly situation.i guess shear stupidity and laziness comes into play often as well. I cut corners ALL THE TIME....but ONLY when I can clearly see and I will NOT be 1 inch on your side when we cross paths and YOU will not have to slow down or take evasive action because I did so. And apparently MOST other people do this as well as I see your fresh tracks on fresh grooming almost daily. I take with great seriousness hugging so far right in a corner which I can not see out of to the extreme. And I always try to keep in my brain this one little thing......if and when it happens someday.....and you know some yahoo is gonna side swipe you GET THAT LEFT LEG UP IN THE AIR off that running board if you possibly can the millisecond before impact. Yes CNC, I too have had to take evasive action multiple times this season but I’m used to it. Over the years I have had to go back south to LeCabanon parking lot or further south on a Friday afternoon more times than I could count. You wouldn’t believe how many times in a single hour it’s happemed to me over the years. It sickens me every time but I’m used to it by now.

Edited by snowmaster2112

5 hours ago, iceman said:

Weekends suck

too many amateurs juiced up

Yes Ice weekends suck and I prefer weekday riding but unfortunately the crew I ride with these days are all still working. 

10 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Have been waiting to reply to this for some time now. I have gone back and re read all of the comments here and agree with most and totally disagree with some like this one. We all ride differently and in different areas. I personally (nothing new for me) have had more than a  dozen rides this season alone where I do not see ANYONE for 100 miles or MORE. And when I do it sometimes results in a “holy shit” moment. Being a “remote bush basher” I have always felt a moral obligation (to the best of my ability) to signal others while running these remote areas. In towns and busier areas is a WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY and my outlook is vastly different. 

I have known about the RideLites for years and this year knowing I was going to be doing more big solo rides was the time to get one. As another poster mentioned “these machines are getting faster and more capable” and I for one admit IM NOT. Anything that can make mine or another riders ride more safe than I’m all for it. 

i am extremely pleased with it and it’s durability so far. My moral obligations are met, no lifting hands off bar and I feel I have done my duty while keeping both YOU and I as safe as possible. I still run into the occasional group in the bush who feels they don’t have (or want) to signal and to you I say “piss off” but most realize the importance and where they are riding and do signal. 

So while the above commenter said “they should ban RideLites” .........this is my take........

if I was “King” for the day I would immediately pass a law that all manufactures have one mounted on the sled upon build.

i would also make it mandatory while riding remote areas with long stretches of “nothing in between” to have and use one. I could care less if someone is behind them and they don’t know it. Because that person too would have one on and it would be self explanatory.

again this is all just my opinion

You miss the whole point of my comment, you should always be riding right weather someone is coming or not. If you are having holy shit moments then someone is riding down the middle of the trail or on the wrong side. Pass so many sleds the are just running the middle of the trail and cutting corners off.

1 hour ago, 800R MXZ X said:

You miss the whole point of my comment, you should always be riding right weather someone is coming or not. If you are having holy shit moments then someone is riding down the middle of the trail or on the wrong side. Pass so many sleds the are just running the middle of the trail and cutting corners off.

I didnt miss anything. I ride more right than the vast majority of tracks I see out there and often wonder why there are not more accidents.. And your taking my holy shit comment "out of context". Ever ride 150 miles at a very fast clip , see absolutely no one and meet someone at the crest of a hill or corner (where there is literally only inches on each side EVEN when both riders are completely on their own side) ? Happens to me EVERY trip. Over 100K in QC and never totaled a sled, ran someone off the trail or had any type of collision. I must be doing something right.

49 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

I didnt miss anything. I ride more right than the vast majority of tracks I see out there and often wonder why there are not more accidents.. And your taking my holy shit comment "out of context". Ever ride 150 miles at a very fast clip , see absolutely no one and meet someone at the crest of a hill or corner (where there is literally only inches on each side EVEN when both riders are completely on their own side) ? Happens to me EVERY trip. Over 100K in QC and never totaled a sled, ran someone off the trail or had any type of collision. I must be doing something right.

Wasn’t looking to start an argument but yes I ride more miles a year then most. Every ride is 200 + miles. And here in NH we don’t have the big trails like Quebec does, just got back from a week long trip up there.

stay safe.

No subject is more polarizing for snowmobilers than this one. I really don't get why but there seems to be no middle ground. I personally think signaling how many are in the group is a silly investment in blind faith but I admit when I see a group coming at me on a straight stretch practically falling off their sleds trying to signal me I will give them signal. I think everyone needs to remember that no matter which opinion you of signaling you follow, it is just that....your opinion. As aggravated as you may be that someone does not signal back they may be just as pissed that you are trying to get them to signal

10 hours ago, scorpionbowl said:

Ok guys...global warming, world peace, and this topic won’t be solved in this thread. One thing everyone here has in common is safety, so let’s all ride safe, have fun, and accept our differences...

Exactly! Beginning to think this isn't QR anymore.....?

Admitted hand signaler here.  Only when control is possible and following sleds are not right with me (which is when it is most useful).  Consider it a courtesy.  Only learned of signaling from organizations such as FCMQ promoting it. 

To keep my hands on the bars I now run a Ridelite and I think its a good idea.  

12 hours ago, scorpionbowl said:

Ok guys...global warming, world peace, and this topic won’t be solved in this thread. One thing everyone here has in common is safety, so let’s all ride safe, have fun, and accept our differences...

Exactly, as long as there is no name calling and swearing I actually enjoy listening to everyone's opinion even if it differs from mine. That's what makes the world go round.

12 hours ago, iceman said:

12E81AAD-FEF7-473B-B3D1-D45DE03CEE4A.thumb.jpeg.0b74b2664ae7011db666cc3dc50ac29e.jpeg

Well the cops did show up last week,  2 of them on sleds coming toward us and guess what they gave us the hand signal count down. Or Wait a minute, they could have been trying to get us to stop, first guy one finger , one moment please second guy, closed fist, was he shaking it cause we didn’t stop? 

Like I said earlier it is surely a personal choice, to signal or not.. 

I am curious though, for those that do signal and want to see others signal them from the opposite direction. What does it change? Do you see the last one give you the fist and now you can use more of the trail? Do you ride differently after getting the all clear? I just don’t get it. The best offense is defense.. 

anyway 

I say this with peace and love. 

Agreed, signaling is a false sense of something, but I'm not sure what???  If the last guy signals that he is the last guy in his group, what does that mean?  Now there are no other groups coming???  Never!  You always ride as if someone else is coming, be safe people!  Stay to the right at all times...its simple.

33 minutes ago, iceman said:

Like I said earlier it is surely a personal choice, to signal or not.. 

I am curious though, for those that do signal and want to see others signal them from the opposite direction. What does it change? Do you see the last one give you the fist and now you can use more of the trail? Do you ride differently after getting the all clear? I just don’t get it. The best offense is defense.. 

anyway 

I say this with peace and love. 

First of all I was lucky enough to be born into a snowmobile family, my father open A SKI-DOO dealership 1967 so I've been riding snowmobiles for 50+ years in Ontario, Quebec & N.B.  Over those years if I wasn't riding alone I was usually leading the group and as everybody on this board  that has been riding for years like me has probably had their fair share of close calls with people riding on the wrong side of the trail. I personally  don't care if the oncoming person signals me as long  as they're on their side of the trail.  I, on the other hand, will always signal and the reason why I signal is because it's usually family and good friends behind me and if I can get some of these trail racers to slow down a little bit as they go by my group I feel my hand signal has worked.