Close to the border?

Goose713

Hi,

Looking for a little info...Is there any decent riding close to the US border or near Montreal?  Looking to do a quick day trip or maybe overnight and just looking for something relatively close to NY.   I have a couple of QC trips planned in February and March further north.  This would just be a last minute thing.  I see open clubs and even some recent grooming on the map, but just looking to see if anyone rides these areas?  Thanks for the input!  Think snow!

Let us all know how it turns out.

I have ridden several times just over the boarder from NH and NE kindom of vermont. If they have decent snow the riding can be OK. The trails are generally narrower than up north, plus many more road crossings. Also ATVing is king there. Far more of them even in midwinter than sleds. Many areas the trails are shared and you will hit lots of roads where you have to run the side of the roads for miles sometimes. You can tell that ATVing has basically replaced snowmobiling for most folks in that area.

Virtually anywhere north and east of Montreal, or North and East of St.George is where it gets good. Id spend 2 and1/2 hours in the truck and ride the good stuff.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Goose713 said:

Shawinigan is a little far for this trip.  Trying to see if I could make a day run just over the Plattsburgh border, but have never heard anything about this area.  I know snow can be thin, but most is showing open on the map.

I can't say that they are good from being on them, but as I was driving home from Shawinigan last Sunday afternoon, between Montreal and the border (closer to the border) we watched a small group of sleds running the trails (south) that run along the side of Rt15.  The trails looked covered and they were moving at a very good speed.  Where they started and where they were heading is unknown, but the trails were rideable and "appeared" to be ok.  that's all I know.

Update!  
My brother and I decided to take a trip to see what we could find.  For us,  time was limited and also snow near us is limited. We went for a day trip on Friday.  About 3 hours of truck time from Albany.  Crossed the border and started looking for a place to park.  We started looking in a small town called Hemmingford and drove north along the trail.  We ended up at a gas station/truck stop/resto bar.  Asked inside and it was fine to park for the day!  Ended up parking the truck next to the police truck and trailer!  We set out on tq5 for most of the ride.  In this area trails are wide and flat and mainly fields.... fields,   And more fields!  As far as the eye can see!   Still fun to ride.  Snow cover was very limited but clubs were doing their best to fill in any bumps from farmers and field transitions.  We saw a couple groomers during the day.  Icy base without much loose on top.  Some places were fantastic,  others not so much, but where it was bad, it wasn’t bad for long.  Overall,  I would ride again if I only had a day, but if you have more time I would head further north.  I am headed up further north in a couple weeks for a few nights and will give a report then as well!  

5D76D3E0-4278-4F34-85E3-39A32AA94119.png