Riding for Kobe

snowmaster2112

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Pretty damn quite and -3 C here in Parent this a.m.

nice quiet breakfast at the Central awhile ago

heading back to truck in St Jean-de-Matha today about 250 miles

will be back next week with “the band” to terrorize some part of the Federation trails.

9F487F91-84FB-4FBB-BCDF-566A07329FB5.jpeg

What building is that?  I didn't know Parent had anyplace this nice to stay?

1 hour ago, mcstar said:

Lombre du vent (something like that) cabins 

1km from depanneur/ gas station on private trail. Wooded setting makes you feel like your out “ in the bush” but your right in town.

i wouldn’t consider staying anyplace else while in Parent. Owners André ( THE man in Parent) and Jeanie are FIRST class, both speak fluent English. And if you ever have a mechanical problem there is NO ONE in Parent that is more equipped the André at dealing with it. Has 100X50 shop and several employees on site.

one person = 125.00

two =.            150

three.  =.      175

four. =.      200. Taxes all included

full stocked kitchen, microwave, stove, coffee pot, best internet in town, flat screen w/direct TV and a phone you can call anywhere on

On 2/1/2020 at 7:43 AM, smclelan said:

Haha. I remember that stone fireplace. Jean Guy is one tough ole guy.  The last night Andyman and I stayed there he let us park our sleds inside his generator barn in the heat, it was -40° that night. The barn has since burned, but at the time he had everything an outfitter would ever need stored inside.

Yes Steve, I parked in that garage many times, he had the exhaust from the generator wrapped around the walls to get a little heat out of it, and enough tools and baling wire to get you out of a jam, cooked dinner for us many times at 8 to 9 pm, a real gentleman!!

As I sit here eating “my usual” ......I thank God for Monday’s 

95 miles of pure heaven from Parent to Kanawata. Saw absolutely mo one and trails were minty mimt

groomer was filling up at gas station in Parent when I pulled in yesterday and I knew he was heading to Wemo

0273846E-D280-49CA-81B6-CADCFE676657.jpeg

Mario here at Kanawata says 30 people last night and 30 more tonight and tomorrow. 

You certainly wouldn’t know it as it’s like a ghost town right now with only me here. The nicest thing about that is I can actually sorta use the internet.....LOL

5 hours ago, quebec bob said:

Yes Steve, I parked in that garage many times, he had the exhaust from the generator wrapped around the walls to get a little heat out of it, and enough tools and baling wire to get you out of a jam, cooked dinner for us many times at 8 to 9 pm, a real gentleman!!

Did you look close at the generator??  A power takeoff shaft came direct off the diesel engine in the the generator, no guards or anything to stop a person from getting too close.  He had everything from a kitchen sink to outboard motors in that building!! LOL

2 minutes ago, smclelan said:

Did you look close at the generator??  A power takeoff shaft came direct off the diesel engine in the the generator, no guards or anything to stop a person from getting too close.  He had everything from a kitchen sink to outboard motors in that building!! LOL

Yes, I saw that set-up, I own a foreign car repair center and a tire store, so I have been in the shop for 48 years...I looked around inside his garage, he had a ton of stuff to fix any thing that might break, a real jack of all trades.But safety was not his forte, I always wondered if something like bad wiring or even the generator caused that fire. I remember looking at it after it burned, one hell of a fire to melt a steel building...under the wrong conditions he could have burned half the country side down.

6 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Mario here at Kanawata says 30 people last night and 30 more tonight and tomorrow. 

You certainly wouldn’t know it as it’s like a ghost town right now with only me here. The nicest thing about that is I can actually sorta use the internet.....LOL

Yes, Mario has been very booked this season, almost all the places in the bush have been full...no snow in USA...everyone is riding Quebec...you use to be able to fly by the seat of your pants and get a room...do not try that this year, plan ahead and not by calling for a room in the am, but by calling days ahead at minimum. It is a crazy thing to be out all day, on mint trails, see almost no other sleds, and everyone is full!!

9 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

1km from depanneur/ gas station on private trail. Wooded setting makes you feel like your out “ in the bush” but your right in town.

i wouldn’t consider staying anyplace else while in Parent. Owners André ( THE man in Parent) and Jeanie are FIRST class, both speak fluent English. And if you ever have a mechanical problem there is NO ONE in Parent that is more equipped the André at dealing with it. Has 100X50 shop and several employees on site.

one person = 125.00

two =.            150

three.  =.      175

four. =.      200. Taxes all included

full stocked kitchen, microwave, stove, coffee pot, best internet in town, flat screen w/direct TV and a phone you can call anywhere on

Thanks, I actually figured it out shortly after I asked you. Doesn’t appear that they have a restaurant though. Would you recommend this for someone that puts an emphasis on food? I’m not about roughing it, when I get done at the end of the day I want a nice dinner and a full breakfast in the morning.

13 hours ago, doubler said:

Thanks, I actually figured it out shortly after I asked you. Doesn’t appear that they have a restaurant though. Would you recommend this for someone that puts an emphasis on food? I’m not about roughing it, when I get done at the end of the day I want a nice dinner and a full breakfast in the morning.

Just ride sled (1.5km) over to the Central Hotel in town. Good food & atmosphere

Jeanie at the L'Hombre du Vent told me yesterday morning she is booked up with all four cabins every day in February on thursdays/fridays/saturdays/sundays

Rolled back into St-Jean-de-Matha at 5:30 yesterday from Parent. Never passed another sled on trail till after Giraldo dam some 170 miles from Parent.

Finished up the 5.5 day solo ride with 1522 pristine miles. Going back up with "the band" (my usual riding partners) on saturday for another week of riding.

Probably wont have a "thread" for that trip as I get all the entertainment I need when i'm riding with my buddies.

Trails are all superb. My best recommendation from last trip would be do the 83 from Parent all the way west to Senneterre. Beyond insane conditions.

8 minutes ago, DareDog said:

what do you do to keep your ipad from freezing up/turning off in the cold?  

I have a thick soft case with another "softer" yet case sorta like a "down" ski jacket material. Never have a problem.

scroll back up and look at pic of Jean-Guy at Haltaparache you can see my case laying on the table

Edited by snowmaster2112
spell

On 2/3/2020 at 8:11 AM, snowmaster2112 said:

One hand only Playhard......LOL....LOL

I thought we were cutting down on hand signals???!!!

LOL

Now we need a QR Beacon, it lights up when we approach each other? 

GutZ

33 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

I'm thinking Satellite Transponder, Like the SPOT.

GutZ 

Yeah, why can't they make something that uses GPS (for sleds too) that when they're approaching each other getting closer from opposite directions... a warning light/alarm will go off on our dash? I guess you could never trust it anyways like hand signals as it could malfunction or be an older sled....

Bottom line, keep right, just like you would on a windy road in your car.

6 hours ago, zeusand said:

Yeah, why can't they make something that uses GPS (for sleds too) that when they're approaching each other getting closer from opposite directions... a warning light/alarm will go off on our dash? I guess you could never trust it anyways like hand signals as it could malfunction or be an older sled....

Bottom line, keep right, just like you would on a windy road in your car.

Maybe we all need to start running Waze