Riding for Kobe

snowmaster2112

An interesting pic

Jean-Guy keeps track of the temperature every morning 

here a calendar showing this January and last January. Obviously a lot warmer this year. He also told me there was a total of 20ft of snow up there last year and him and his son had to shovel the roof 4 times. 

And get a load of this.......told me this past May 14th he went sledding on 18 inches  of snow there.

E83F898D-4964-4CC6-93D3-7EB97D1EDE96.jpeg

15 hours ago, Pipeman said:

That was my guess, always wanted to stay there but not open in winter for years. So now someone took it over and it is open ?

To be clear for everyone....Haltaparache is NOT open to the public anymore in the winter and has not been for 13 years

Jean-Guy is there all winter alone or with his son. He’s a GREAT guy and if your in a pinch up there don’t be shy. He’ll help you in anyway he can. He has a radio/phone that works great as I called my wife and buddy from there. Don’t go there looking for gas as he only has what he needs for his side X side and snowmobile 

Haha. I remember that stone fireplace. Jean Guy is one tough ole guy.  The last night Andyman and I stayed there he let us park our sleds inside his generator barn in the heat, it was -40° that night. The barn has since burned, but at the time he had everything an outfitter would ever need stored inside.

6 hours ago, jak said:

Really enjoy your posts & pictures Snowmaster, great adventures. Couple questions, do you carry a satellite phone when you ride alone like that?  And you must speak French to communicate with all these interesting folks you meet? Stay safe.

No and no

amd somehow I manage just fine

Landed in Pikogan at 6 pm 260 miles today 

i have to say I would pic the west side 396 trail if I could only ride one. Much faster in the power lines

Kenny’s uncle wasn’t home up near Joutel so I went to his house in Pikogan and had dinner and hung out catching up. It’s only been 7-8 weeks since I saw him and Peanuts gone. Neil Peart’s gone. Kobe is gone. And the poor souls in the LSG tragedy. Goes to show many things in life can happen suddenly. 

Looking at a 300+ day tomorrow with possible destination 100 Lacs

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

I’m ....

back on on the road again..........”I’m on my way.”.......

think I will spool up some REO in the playlist today for the helmet tunes

Hadn't thought of them that way, but makes perfect sense:

Lost In A Dream

Keep Pushin'

Ridin' The Storm Out

Roll With The Changes

Time For Me To Fly

Back On The Road Again

Only The Strong Survive

Take It On The Run

Keep The Fire Burnin'

Live Every Moment

Find Your Own Way Home

Smilin' in the End

Thanks for sharing your adventures Snowmaster!  I'm always impressed with people that do the things they love instead of coming up with excuses why they can't!

Safe trails!

On 1/30/2020 at 1:59 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

I see they fresh groomed the 83 last night. Well.......someone’s gotta do it. Heading to Parent for the night but first not without going to Wemo and back tracking.

No beavers yet this trip. But I’m looking.............

here yesterday at 360/M20 intersection 

0CC32658-2C45-45E6-A8BB-B1A16E153AF1.jpeg

I was headed west to Parent Thursday late afternoon and you were headed to Wemotaci, you were 4 miles before Wemo on 83 we were both going 75 trying to beat the dark, trail was mint!!

On 2/1/2020 at 6:16 AM, snowmaster2112 said:

To be clear for everyone....Haltaparache is NOT open to the public anymore in the winter and has not been for 13 years

Jean-Guy is there all winter alone or with his son. He’s a GREAT guy and if your in a pinch up there don’t be shy. He’ll help you in anyway he can. He has a radio/phone that works great as I called my wife and buddy from there. Don’t go there looking for gas as he only has what he needs for his side X side and snowmobile 

I stopped to see Jean Guy, he was installing 6 ft pine trees with ribbons across the trail on both sides of his property, where the trail goes right thru his private property. He has a white dog and also he works outside and sleds are going thru at 75mph, so he is trying to slow them down...hope this works, it is a very important trail, he is a great guy, please use good judgement when passing on his land, many thanks, Bob.

30 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

I stopped to see Jean Guy, he was installing 6 ft pine trees with ribbons across the trail on both sides of his property, where the trail goes right thru his private property. He has a white dog and also he works outside and sleds are going thru at 75mph, so he is trying to slow them down...hope this works, it is a very important trail, he is a great guy, please use good judgement when passing on his land, many thanks, Bob.

Yeah he had those up when I was there too. He said some guy almost took out his Econoline parked off the trail side 

Damn it Bob wish I knew it was you I would have LOVED to meet you

here is NEW KEY SIGNAL for ANYONE who sees and identifies me on the trail..........tap the top of your helmet with a flat palm of your hand and I’ll stop

Pretty damn quite and -3 C here in Parent this a.m.

nice quiet breakfast at the Central awhile ago

heading back to truck in St Jean-de-Matha today about 250 miles

will be back next week with “the band” to terrorize some part of the Federation trails.

9F487F91-84FB-4FBB-BCDF-566A07329FB5.jpeg