Saddle bag experts !

EastMark

More here on QR than anywhere I know...experience. Riding 4 or 5 days starting Saturday with my wife. Looking to be around 750 mile trip.

Have done 2 nites before a few times. Have a grasp on the basics but smart enough to know I cant think of everything. Any tips on what or how you guys pack ?

Have tow stuff, x belts, x gas, x relays, tools, sled security lock, flashlights, cell battery pack, x shield cord, x bungee cords and bungee nets, ratchet strap, lighters, battery compact jump pack, waterproof matches, saw, emergency blankets, siphon, GPS with maps, paper maps, etc

also have x cash, x socks, x gloves, gauntlets, x head sock , x hat, street clothes, shoes, passports, x glasses, copies of hotel reservations, called the credit cards for travel....and plenty of Aleve. 🙂

Some other pack tip do’s and dont’s , “must have”, or “nice to have” items you guys travel with.... without me going overkill ?

16 minutes ago, EastMark said:

More here on QR than anywhere I know...experience. Riding 4 or 5 days starting Saturday with my wife. Looking to be around 750 mile trip.

Have done 2 nites before a few times. Have a grasp on the basics but smart enough to know I cant think of everything. Any tips on what or how you guys pack ?

Have tow stuff, x belts, x gas, x relays, tools, sled security lock, flashlights, cell battery pack, x shield cord, x bungee cords and bungee nets, ratchet strap, lighters, battery compact jump pack, waterproof matches, saw, emergency blankets, siphon, GPS with maps, paper maps, etc

also have x cash, x socks, x gloves, gauntlets, x head sock , x hat, street clothes, shoes, passports, x glasses, copies of hotel reservations, called the credit cards for travel....and plenty of Aleve. 🙂

Some other pack tip do’s and dont’s , “must have”, or “nice to have” items you guys travel with.... without me going overkill ?

1 minute ago, markusvt said:

No such thing as overkill.  Pack what you don't plan to use at the bottom.

Spare keys.

Large outside trash bags.

Snacks.

Electrical tape.

Duct Tape.

Was just going to mention tape, also a small  coil of brass or stove pipe wire. Couple of bottles of gas line antifreeze the good stuff not heet. 

An extendable flex head magnet for the nuts or bolts that always drop in the bottom of the belly pan.

Also, just can back from a trip with a friend that always carried a bottle of gin and a couple limes, great for making a gin and tonic with a slice of lime!  LOL

Don’t overthink it either. There are a lot of good folks all over Quebec and on trails. I started making a list 25 years ago. It is broken up into categories including Truck, Trailer, Sled, Snowmobile Suit, Gearbag, Saddlebags. Whenever I wanted something I wish I had with me I added it to the list. The list is not real big, just includes must haves. Before each trip I print the list and cross them off when they are packed. Then you don’t need to keep trying to think of something you forgot.

3 minutes ago, Snobeeler said:

Don’t overthink it either. There are a lot of good folks all over Quebec and on trails. I started making a list 25 years ago. It is broken up into categories including Truck, Trailer, Sled, Snowmobile Suit, Gearbag, Saddlebags. Whenever I wanted something I wish I had with me I added it to the list. The list is not real big, just includes must haves. Before each trip I print the list and cross them off when they are packed. Then you don’t need to keep trying to think of something you forgot.

Ha as a l started to read your post, for just a second there I thought you were making a list of all the good folks in Quebec!😁😁😁😁😁

Mark,    I tend to be a minimalist.

1. Extra clothes for a cold snap.

2. Good bundle of cash: it will pay for the bail to get you out of jail and will bribe a local person to take your sled to the shop to get it fixed and give you a ride to a hotel.

3. Good weather forecast.

4. Game Plan:  If a storm is coming, know which nearby town will be fun to spend a couple of days snowed in.

5. A younger strong person:  Someone to unstuck you when you go off the trail.

mike

Eastmark it looks like you have the essentials very well covered. You have 2 sleds to pack luggage or riding two up?

Likely biggest challenge will be convincing your wife to limited the amount of clothes required for saddle bagging.

750 miles in 4 days would be a lot for many women. Tricky balance between having an enjoyable trip vs turning it into a marathon. Weather always the unknown between beautiful riding days vs cold challenging days.

From some other posts looks like you are planning on travelling the Bas St. Laurent and Gaspe area?

Sounds like you have a great list. I would make sure that you have a GPS that works on both sleds. I'd also explain to her on paper maps, where you are and where you going and where you were so that God forbid something happens to you, she can get help or better yet like grumpy says a satellite phone especially with your wife. 

9 minutes ago, zeusand said:

Sounds like you have a great list. I would make sure that you have a GPS that works on both sleds. I'd also explain to her on paper maps, where you are and where you going and where you were so that God forbid something happens to you, she can get help or better yet like grumpy says a satellite phone especially with your wife. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some great advice as I expected here ! Thank you. Keep it coming. 

Yes wife has her own sled and bags. She rides a 19 TCat 137 with a trunk pack and we will put the saddlebags on for the week. Im expecting a backpack to bungee on top might appear for her too. 😉

As planned our longest day is about 190 mi from Lac-Etchemin to RDL...day 1...stopping in Tourville for lunch and gas...then on to RDL.

On day 3 returning to Mayor Mikes from Amqui to RDL we have a few trail choice options that will both reduce some miles if needed.

On day 4 which is similar distance going back From RDL to Lac-Etchemin but on different trails...We have an option of going RDL to Montmagy and stay at l'Oiselière  if we need  to.....then Wed AM blast back the last bit thru the Sud ski area and load up before driving back. Going to call an audible on that one since there is other hotels in that area if choice 1 is booked.

So I tried to plan some good miles days with options. Weather looks perfect. Says about 6” new Thursday nite before we get there....then clear sailing after that snow. 🙂

Here is a lodging suggestion for anyone travelling with your spouse in the Montmagny area.

We stayed one night here last summer on our bike tour. Beautiful place with lots of charm and history.

https://aubergedesglacis.com/?lang=en

IMG_1595.JPG.d704a2e67193f977357e31f31afb4d74.JPGIMG_1596.JPG.b0698e53f920a1a659ddf73d7fd61560.JPGIMG_1597.JPG.208509af763c0a8b8c438f68971d7fd6.JPG

If your wife would enjoy spa experience, instead of diverting to all the way to Montmagny, go to St. Paul-de Montminy and go here: https://www.appalachesspa.com/en  It is a beautiful place with outdoor hot pools, etc. it is about 30m SSW of Montmagny between TQ35 + TQ55. (If you drew a line between Montmagny + Lac Etchemin, it’s about in the middle)

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

2 hours ago, BOBLER said:

Fuses, specific items for sleds you are riding that are known to fail at some point

Insert other media 😅

jackshaft-and bearings ,front driveshaft and bearings,chaincase assy,rear drive axle assy,fuel relay turbo bolts,,,can yuo guess what sled i'm riding?   looks as though i may need to purchase a pull behind sleigh,,suppose that could effect my fuel mileage HAHAHA.better add extra fuel to my list,,,,or maybe a different sled 😆

On 2/3/2020 at 7:00 PM, EastMark said:

As I read thru your list I got to thinking I need to add YOU to MY list of things to bring!

What about snacks? Snickers or granola depending on commitment to health?

NH Mouse packs gourmet jerky & a thermos of warm water, so you might wanna bring him!