Gaspe Trip - March 13 (Pre Reserve Hotels?)

Grimmer

Hey guys.....I ride most of Quebec EXCEPT never rode Gaspe.  I live in Niagara region and thinking of leaving truck at Quality In and starting from Matane.  Is this too far to drive up or should I be leaving from from some point more south?  We have limited days because my son is on march break.  So my thinking is to do the North, East and South shore of Gaspe down to the 595 then up through the Chic Chocs back up to Matane.

How's that sound?  thinking around 300km days......dont want to rush and prefer riding in daylight.  I am completely open to suggestions...changes etc.  Thinking of pre-booking Matane but that's it.  Was hoping to ride and stay wherever we feel.  Think this would be a problem?          

Edited by Grimmer
Added content

Remember the days will be longer. That's a plus.

4 hours ago, MrGutz said:

LOL, Dewalt Job Box, love it!!!

But is it LinQ compatable?

GutZ

GutZ, a friends sled:

- long time saddle bagger

- Building Contractor

- Non BRP supporter!

Would think the box was build for the sled, 144 chassis.5D295006-E757-492B-B674-668324DBA796.thumb.jpeg.2fa1f60bf6c2783e3eee8adf776b417f.jpeg

Grimmer, here is a possible plan.

Day 1. Matane to Mont Saint Pierre or Auberge LaMarre 

Day 2. Mont Saint Pierre to Perce (Rock)

Stay at Table du Roland

Day 3. Perce up to Murdochville, across the Chic Choc trail to LaCache, stay at Relais LaCache. Be sure to see the sled museum at Copper Hotel in Murdochville.

Depending on time can head back north to Matane, if you have two days available to ride go south from LaCache to New Richmond then back north through the Matapedia Valley to Matane.

B4B09022-214E-458E-AF42-81529824F596.png

10 hours ago, Grimmer said:

Hey guys.....I ride most of Quebec EXCEPT never rode Gaspe.  I live in Niagara region and thinking of leaving truck at Quality In and starting from Matane.  Is this too far to drive up or should I be leaving from from some point more south?  We have limited days because my son is on march break.  So my thinking is to do the North, East and South shore of Gaspe down to the 595 then up through the Chic Chocs back up to Matane.

How's that sound?  thinking around 300km days......dont want to rush and prefer riding in daylight.  I am completely open to suggestions...changes etc.  Thinking of pre-booking Matane but that's it.  Was hoping to ride and stay wherever we feel.  Think this would be a problem?          

How many days do you have to ride?

Grimmer,remember march break is prime time for hockey tournaments,sometimes room avail becomes diminished because of the kids off school,can't remember if this is the same time as in ontario,qc could be different?worth investigation,ive been stung in qc before at this time..

Just back home form an epic 5 day trip in the Gaspe. Not often you get 5 sunny days, no storms, no blowing drifting snow to complete a whole trip.

Planned on staying at Copper  in Murdochville Wednesday night. Tuesday night we called to make reservations and they had no rooms available so we changed our route a bit and stayed at LaCache.

Think for the next few weeks if your a larger group needing multiple rooms would want to be booked a couple night ahead.

Edited by Fuse6

Ok guys...…just got back from riding.  Thanks for all your replies.  

FUSE6---- Awesome !  Thank you.  will definitely try that route out and thumbs up on the hotel and museum suggestions.  We definitely want to see the mountains.   

VIPER2 ---- 3 up to 6 days.  Depends on conditions and weather etc.  Again...open to suggestions but we really want to get up into the Chic Chocs so its looking like 5 days.    

Thanks guys.....I have this thing almost nailed down.  Going to drive up to Matane....F#$%K it.  Its almost 14 hours but hey....who cares.  Stay at Quality Inn in Matane?  (Suggestions)…..then start my ride mostly unplanned.  Will do as suggested and just call ahead in the AM.  

LAST QUESTION....besides Pearce Rock what else would you guys consider a MUST SEE or MUST STAY?  

Another launch option is Mont Joli which is 45 min less drive than Matane.

Hotel Options

1. Motel Mont Joli, older motel but rooms are good. No restaurant anymore. Reason we used it in 2017 and last week is their rescue service. Left our truck keys with front desk, have break down they have a guy that will come with your truck and pick you and sled up. In 2017 one of our group had to be picked up in Murdochville. Last week one of our group had to be picked up in LaCache when a chain case grenaded.

2. Brand new Quality Inn in Mont Joli with good trail access. Not sure if they have a restaurant, Normandin family restaurant right across the road.

Nothing wrong with starting from Quality Inn in Matane.

Mont Joli to Matane area is perfect start point for a 5 day 1,500- 1,600 km loop.

If doing 5 days be sure to ride the 587S trail instead of trail 5. Beautiful ride up through the Matapedia valley. One of those secret trails should be reserved for QR riders only. 

Stop at Albertville club house for lunch if timing right. The 587N trail runs through the windmill farms. From the one lookout can see 100 windmills down the valley.

7AB20B68-4152-437B-831E-29F25B39A5B3.thumb.png.d835f71e8747e6f3fe3df4494d066072.png

You said you’ll start from Matane and we did that last year and spent 6 days on the peninsula.   We normally start at Rivière du Loup at the Universel. If you start in Matane you can do a hybrid of this.     Day 1-Rivière du Loup to Matane at the Riotel.   Day 2-in Mont St Pierre (both motels are similar).   Day 3 Chandler at the Motel Chandler via the 597 (that is a quick day so you would have time to go to Perce and see the rock).   Day 4-New Richmond via the 597 north to the Chic Choc trail and the 595 south to the Francis.   Day 5-Amqui (either the Selectotel or L’Ambassadeur).   Day 6- Rivière du Loup.  The 597 has a gorge below Murdochville which is nice.   The Chic Choc trail is a favorite of ours.    We avoid 5 between Grand Valle and Perce because we have run into huge bumps both times we did it.   The Gaspe is great.   We have been up there 8 times.  

On February 18, 2020 at 7:02 PM, Fuse6 said:

sure to ride the 587S trail instead of trail 5. Beautiful ride up through the Matapedia valley. One of those secret trails should be reserved for QR riders only. 

Si! Bueno! Definitely a fav!

And as much of both green interiors as possible, plus Chic Choc trail to Copper in Murdochville!

No need for southeast shore, fair sacrifice to loop up and miss that. 

Just booked the B&B in Perce. After I leave Perce and work my way up to the Copper....it's only 167km.  Should I make my way over the LaCache or stay at Copper?   Trying to keep the days between 250-275 but wondering if the interior requires longer days.   

Heading to LaCache would give me about 270km

Edited by Grimmer

3 hours ago, Grimmer said:

Just booked the B&B in Perce. After I leave Perce and work my way up to the Copper....it's only 167km.  Should I make my way over the LaCache or stay at Copper?   Trying to keep the days between 250-275 but wondering if the interior requires longer days.   

Heading to LaCache would give me about 270km

Last week we left Perce, rode to Copper for lunch then went to La Cache for the night.  Easy one day trip as the trails are pretty fast.