Joliette/Grand-Mere/Riviere Mattawin/St-Zenon/Joliette big loop photo ride-report 15 february2020

towing

Here is the 300 miles loop we did from home yesterday, Saturday February 15, 2020

carte_zpsoplsudt0.jpg

It is one of our classics that we do every season, many miles but easy to do because there are many fast segments. Yesterday conditions were also ideal: cold to have beautiful solid trails that last all day (-22C at 8:15 when we started) and good visibility to be able to ride easily. In addition being able to do it directly from home: we are blessed!

DSC01390_zpshzsbuljt.jpg

We did it starting with the southside. As expected most of the trails were freshly groomed

dsc01403_zpswqmrqcer.jpg

Here in St-Barthelemy area, we even passed the dozer which was finishing his run

dsc01411_zpsfhfyjfsc.jpg

DSC01413_zpsnnkvkwra.jpg

Its a good temperature indicator when you see the snow dust staying in the air like that...

dsc01414_zps7lq9pcms.jpg

When we make this ride, we always cut between  #3 and #63 near Louiseville on #350 trail , it's more direct.

dsc1420_zpsvclp3lxe.jpg

As long as the little Rivière du Loup is good which was the case: solid and marked

DSC01425_zpszdnrutmt.jpg

The only problem at these temperatures is my gopro that I can't keep alive, it keep shutting off itself. I had to turn it back on maybe 12th time just to get there so I finally give up and left it off. Here St-Barnabé sector.

DSC01430_zpslroskvpx.jpg

DSC01434_zpsy9vvsnn8.jpg

Here west of St-Etienne des Grès

DSC01443_zpsrer1fjl0.jpg

after the stretch from the above pic, we had to turn left at the junction to follow #3 trail and  there is this clown face stuck to a tree ??? there are several of them in different places in this sector that have been there for years ... I had always wonder what was the meaning ???

DSC01454_zpstchmgtq0.jpg

After refueling, we cross the St-Maurice near the Gabelle dam. The last storm having left alot snow last week, the river is a bit bumpy but it's not bad

DSC01462_zpst2gsem4t.jpg

East of St-Maurice river, pleasant surprise: #3 trail was mint!

DSC01470_zps3hjqerkv.jpg

DSC01472_zps0er5xqaw.jpg

We got on the St-Maurice river in Grand-Mère (trail M19)

DSC01483_zpsmyk3ai5x.jpg

We then went straight at #23 trail junction to continue on the river

DSC01485_zpswbbqoal0.jpg

Be careful to follow the stake trail, it's a clear water spot on the left! The trail is well marked and it's impossible to miss it, just follow the safe route..

DSC01488_zpsrw2jmscw.jpg

The river trail was a bit bumpy but is still rideable at a good pace. The scenery is as beautiful as ever

DSC01496_zps3rx7qsia.jpg

DSC01515_zpsdxgdwhd3.jpg

Here the little trail as we got out from the river and pass under the #155 car road bridge

DSC01521_zpsohhrhit3.jpg

Then back to perfects conditions

DSC01534_zpstd4rmqdu.jpg

DSC01535_zpsvhmxrqwj.jpg

DSC01537_zpsbkr5okct.jpg

The conditions were so good that we arrived at Marineau at Rivière Mattawin for lunch at 12:10 with 130 miles on the dreammeter

DSC01545_zpsie2tger6.jpg

We shared there a good lunch with Cobra from here on QR that was starting his vacation alone in the area. I was knowing him from the many messages we had exchange in the past about the conditions and more, and the timing was good so we hook up there for some riding together after our meal.

dsc1547_zpsicvmueiz.jpg

The #360 was nice and fast with his as always superb views.

DSC01557_zpszq9tjhrj.jpg

DSC01568_zpskbz1kquz.jpg

Given the nice trail conditions, we chose to expand the ride a bit by looping on the M20 trail.

DSC01571_zpsj8oaj8lh.jpg

This trail had never deceived us and was even nicer this time. The picture do not do justice to how good it is to do this stretch

DSC01576_zpspkkbjnq1.jpg

a beautiful large glacier on the mountainside, outstanding when the sun shine

DSC01581_zpseoi8bnok.jpg

Good luck for trying to respect this sign!!!

DSC01587_zpsh3jmwbv1.jpg

DSC01594_zpskglejixb.jpg

The last 20% of the length is a little slower but so beautiful

DSC01602_zpsq6vvuk4w.jpg

We took a break at the #345 junction and we then continued south

dsc1611_zpsnqnaxpds.jpg

DSC01621_zpsnghlqhdp.jpg

We took another break at the Taureau reservoir dam. It was just 3:45 pm and it was going so well that for a moment I had considered looping around the reservoir on the #360 and pass through St-Michel des Saints but by doing a quick calculation, we already had a 300 miles ride with the initial plan so I decided to be reasonable and keep it more relaxed. Big thank you to Cobra for one of the very few pic where we are both Kristine and me on it

dsc01623_zps5mxzalvh.jpg

And another one of Cobra and me

DSC01625_zpsiojvkvrm.jpg

We then crossed the dam and continued south. This red renegade have a darn nice look!

DSC01631_zpslkmmrog4.jpg

We met a dozer who was starting his run very close to the Cabanon where I stopped to refuel.

DSC01635_zpszy2tc48f.jpg

We then continued on the #23 south of the Cabanon where we passed this other dozer which was doing his south loop

DSC01642_zpsboejgqeo.jpg

We arrived at Réal Massé around 5:15 pm to taste a good vegetable soup and have a last good chat with Cobra. With my bad frenglish and the limited Kristine's 4 english words vocabulary, he had a good challenge but when people sharing the same passion meet, it all go well and we had a very good time together (for us at least 😂). Beside being a gentleman, Cobra is a very good experimented rider and we consider ourself lucky to had the chance to share a ride with him.

DSC01644_zpsdfttedmt.jpg

We left around 6:15 pm in home direction. The trail conditions were still good even in the evening on this cold day and we've been home a little before 8:00 p.m. with  309 miles on the dreameter, the smile still from ear to ear from this very nice ride.

In summary, the conditions are at their top right now, can't ask for better. Hopefully mother nature cooperate and the winter conditions continue so that we can still enjoy it for a while!

For more details on the trails in the area and more: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

:drinks:

Alain

I have learned and now have been (schooled) by the master Alain !!! Bravo mon ami.....best trail report EVER ....and all with freezing camera and Kristine (4 words of enlish) on the back.

My wife wouldn't last 10 miles....LOL   So good to see you guys had a phenomanal ride. Cobra had a good time for sure !!!  We have been in touch and looking forward to a ride with him. 

Those pics at the dam are (send me to be blown up and framed) for sure pictures. Such clarity....your camera is FANTASTIC !!!

BRAVO !!!!!!!

On 2/16/2020 at 9:09 PM, viper2 said:

Great report and pics Alain, I am sure I am not the only one who fires his laptop up on a Sunday night looking for your report! 

Thanks Rick! I create expectation! 😄 I was doing my photo report since so long that many people told me the same. When I was at Marineau at lunch with Cobra, an other QC rider reader that was there had took a couple minutes to say hi tu us and was telling me that he was following my reports religiously! 

On 2/16/2020 at 9:13 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

I have learned and now have been (schooled) by the master Alain !!! Bravo mon ami.....best trail report EVER ....and all with freezing camera and Kristine (4 words of enlish) on the back.

My wife wouldn't last 10 miles....LOL   So good to see you guys had a phenomanal ride. Cobra had a good time for sure !!!  We have been in touch and looking forward to a ride with him. 

Those pics at the dam are (send me to be blown up and framed) for sure pictures. Such clarity....your camera is FANTASTIC !!!

BRAVO !!!!!!!

Thank you snowmaster but the student had surpassed the master here!!! 👍  We are also very lucky to have a big bunch of sledders that made ride report here on QR, all in their own styles. Each one is a great add on to this great forum, the only one where you can find this!

I had to admit Kristine is a real trooper to ride on the backseat for 300miles. Cobra was pretty amazed, looking at her that was following me, leaning in the curves and snapping pictures at the same times... he told us:"now I know how magic happened!" 😄

I'm still searching a replacement for kristine's 2005 straight 4mp sony camera, this old stuff is hard to beat but begin to be wear out a bit... as for my gopro, I will need to install a bloc heater on it!!!😅

On 2/16/2020 at 9:20 PM, P Hardy said:

Thanks for taking the time to post Alain, it is greatly appreciated by those of us who don't get out near enough!

You are welcome P Hardy! it's a part of our pleasure to share a bit of the fun we had on our rides!

21 hours ago, zeusand said:

Great report and photos as usual! 👍

Thank you zeusand! 

12 hours ago, Blueskyride said:

Great report Alain! Thanks for letting us ride along...vicariously! 

You are welcome Blueskyride! It's exactly what we would like to have more this season: blue sky ride! the pics chaser we are really appreciate the sunny blue sky days

9 hours ago, grumpysanta said:

GREAT report like USUAL  you guys..

Thank you grumpysanta! I saw your ride on FB, you really have the twin of JG sled!

Beautiful report.  I remember when we met it was the camera flash from a moving sled that alerted me.

Those GoPros can be such a emmerde.    Once I get fed up enough I give up too.  My older Hero would run all or most of a day in the waterproof housing with it being charged by a battery pack - made its own heat from running and charging.  My Hero 7 no such luck yet. I am actually working on a heater solution for mine. Not proven yet, so not sharing yet.

14 hours ago, actionjack said:

Beautiful report.  I remember when we met it was the camera flash from a moving sled that alerted me.

Those GoPros can be such a emmerde.    Once I get fed up enough I give up too.  My older Hero would run all or most of a day in the waterproof housing with it being charged by a battery pack - made its own heat from running and charging.  My Hero 7 no such luck yet. I am actually working on a heater solution for mine. Not proven yet, so not sharing yet.

We are on the same boat! My old hero 4 had did way colder rides than this one and was still running... the 7 is really caprisious at cold. But when it work, the captured images look like a magic carpet ride! so nice that I don't look back at the hero4 at all. We need to be creative to keep it alive, I am me too in search and development!

2 minutes ago, aj17ca said:

Great report, and great pics. Thanks. I will use some of this info planning future trips!

You are welcome aj17ca ! It's especially for this that I make those report: approved tested rides! ready to be tried 👍

• 2 weeks later...

When you were heading east on the 360 after lunch you made a loop north off the 360 then back down to the 360/345 to the dam. Up by your waypoint #3 marker. What is this section of trail like? What is the trail number? It doesn't say on the map. Thanks. We are staying in St Michele for three days next week and i was planning on a day trip out to the riviere mattiwan for lunch and back?

Edited by aj17ca

9 minutes ago, aj17ca said:

When you were heading east on the 360 after lunch you made a loop north off the 360 then back down to the 360/345 to the dam. Up by your waypoint #3 marker. What is this section of trail like? What is the trail number? It doesn't say on the map. Thanks. We are staying in St Michele for three days next week and i was planning on a day trip out to the riviere mattiwan for lunch and back?

It is the M20 trail, an orange trail with identification M20. I really suggest you to ride it for your day ride to Marineau/Mattawin for lunch. I would say keep the #360 to go in the morning and try it when you come back. It is a trail really fun to ride, different from the #360 and the scenery is different also. It is a pretty fast trail, a bit more than the #360 for the first 80%and then a bit less fast but still nice. I sure you won't regret it. It will add a 20 miles to your ride compare to the #360 trail path.

go for it and enjoy!