Le tour de la Gaspésie 2020

wng-2

Had a pretty nice trip to the Gaspe Peninsula. Three of us left Southern NH/Maine on 8 February, and  drove to, and launched from Wilderness Pine Campground in Monticello, Maine. We stayed in Fort Kent, Maine that night.. Day two started with sled trouble. We got a late start, and encountered some trail breaking conditions on our way to Degelis, Quebec, and picked up our fourth guy. Stayed in Rimouski, Quebec. Day three started with more sled trouble, short Day to Matane. By day four we figured out what seemed like a non charging/dead battery issue, was really a bad starter issue. Started the sled the rest of the  week with a rope wrapped around the clutch,sans the plastic clip used to hold the rope onto the clutch. We toured the entire Peninsula clockwise staying in Mont Saint Pierre, Perce, Carleton, and back to Rimouski. The last day we rode to Degelis, dropped our friend at his truck, and continued to Maine via New Brunswick. I planned on buying a day pass at the Quebec/New Brunswick border where there used to be a check point in past years. It is not there anymore. At a road crossing, we were met by FOUR Provincial Policeman, who very politely wasted about 30 minutes of our long day and gave us each a $172.50 fine for no trail pass. No pass is no pass, I should have planned better. However New Brunswick, your way of treating tourist has been duly noted. My tourism dollars will certainly be spent elsewhere in the future.New Brunswick must enjoy a very low crime rate... Made it back to Monticello without incident where George at Wilderness Pines had a warm cabin waiting for us after a 275 mile day.1500 miles total for the trip. Overall great trip, and great trails. Only encountered bad trails between Gaspe and Perce on Wednesday. The trail out of Perce was groomed and nice when we left Thursday Morning. some photos below.

Le tour de la Gaspésie 2020

Edited by wng-2
Edit

wng-2 where was checkpoint at the NB/Quebec border in the past and where were you when they wrote you up? I was always under the impression you could go to first place a pass was available

6 hours ago, viper2 said:

wng-2 where was checkpoint at the NB/Quebec border in the past and where were you when they wrote you up? I was always under the impression you could go to first place a pass was available

In the past, the checkpoint was right on the trail at the border. Quebec 85/New Brunswick 12. Not sure where we were, certainly several miles in. I did not see any club houses. I do want to be clear that I acknowledge being wrong for having no trail pass. Things change in twenty years, perhaps this all has to be done online now. I believe in supporting the trail system, and planned on buying a day pass that day. I guess what really  irritates me is that FOUR provincial policeman were sitting there stopping people.Seems like there would be some crime they could have been fighting. Perhaps this is a good thing, if they are catching impaired riders. However,  I don't see the trail pass thing as even a law enforcement issue. I would rather my "fine" for such a violation go to the Snowmobile federation in support of the trail system, vs. to the Province as a run of the mill traffic violation. It's just another lesson learned. Quebec is where I like to ride, we bought season passes for the one week trip. In the future, we will get the appropriate NB passes ahead of time, or avoid that province completely. The latter is a more likely scenario.  

1 hour ago, wng-2 said:

Quebec is where I like to ride, we bought season passes for the one week trip. In the future, we will get the appropriate NB passes ahead of time, or avoid that province completely. The latter is a more likely scenario.  

If you feel strongly enough about it, send an email to New Brunswick tourism:

https://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/

An initiative started there a couple of years ago in which more money was put into sledding in the province as they have recognized it as their only winter tourism option. To be frank, it is quite easy to buy a 3 day or 7 day pass online which you could have had on your phone etc. but if you feel you were unduly hassled, they may appreciate your feedback. After a trip there one year which I enjoyed very much, headed back the next year and spent money on 7 day trail pass, gas and hotel to find that trail conditions had not been accurately reported. Sent an email to New Brunswick tourism which was forwarded to the NB sledding organization. A couple of emails back to forth to them, including a ride report from my previous visit, and my concern was made known.

The northern part of the province is an excellent place to ride when conditions are good - you just have to make sure conditions are good - the trail reporting system still has not changed.

Edited by slomo

47 minutes ago, slomo said:

If you feel strongly enough about it, send an email to New Brunswick tourism:

https://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/

An initiative started there a couple of years ago in which more money was put into sledding in the province as they have recognized it as their only winter tourism option. To be frank, it is quite easy to buy a 3 day or 7 day pass online which you could have had on your phone etc. but if you feel you were unduly hassled, they may appreciate your feedback. After a trip there one year which I enjoyed very much, headed back the next year and spent money on 7 day trail pass, gas and hotel to find that trail conditions had not been accurately reported. Sent an email to New Brunswick tourism which was forwarded to the NB sledding organization. A couple of emails back to forth to them, including a ride report from my previous visit, and my concern was made known.

The northern part of the province is an excellent place to ride when conditions are good - you just have to make sure conditions are good - the trail reporting system still has not changed.

Thanks, I may do that. I do want to reiterate that I understand we were in the wrong for no pass. I planned on buying one at a checkpoint that no longer exists. Ignorance is no excuse, we should have had passes to be on that trail system. Two of three sleds were ailing, and I had an injury. We just wanted to get back to the truck via the quickest route, and planned on buying a one day pass to accomplish that. I would rather have been forced to pay for a season pass to ride the lousy fifty miles, vs. pay a traffic violation. I have NEVER had a good snowmobile experience in New Brunswick. They have all been bad for one reason or another. I will likely avoid that province for snowmobiling as long as I continue to do the sport. Even if it means trailering to different locations.

Edited by wng-2

56 minutes ago, iceman said:

Sorry to hear this, like you said though no pass is no pass. 

Look on the bright side $172.50 is cheap. Try that in Quebec $640. 

Lesson learned. 

Indeed. However,  The other point is I had no intention of "trying" it. The more I think about it, the more I think New Brunswick can kiss my fat ass.

6 minutes ago, doo4adoo said:

I am going through this weekend. Turns out they have a free weekend you just need to go online and fill & print it out.

I actually saw that and  printed it out before the season. I recommend that if you use use that, you affix it to the sled exactly as directed. Those gangsters will likely fine you if not.

11 hours ago, wng-2 said:

In the past, the checkpoint was right on the trail at the border. Quebec 85/New Brunswick 12. Not sure where we were, certainly several miles in. I did not see any club houses. I do want to be clear that I acknowledge being wrong for having no trail pass. Things change in twenty years, perhaps this all has to be done online now. I believe in supporting the trail system, and planned on buying a day pass that day. I guess what really  irritates me is that FOUR provincial policeman were sitting there stopping people.Seems like there would be some crime they could have been fighting. Perhaps this is a good thing, if they are catching impaired riders. However,  I don't see the trail pass thing as even a law enforcement issue. I would rather my "fine" for such a violation go to the Snowmobile federation in support of the trail system, vs. to the Province as a run of the mill traffic violation. It's just another lesson learned. Quebec is where I like to ride, we bought season passes for the one week trip. In the future, we will get the appropriate NB passes ahead of time, or avoid that province completely. The latter is a more likely scenario.  

Those cops charge New Brunswick residents if they don't have permits. I don't think it would look good for them to be charging N.B. citizens and giving non resident tourists a free pass. That's likely why they weren't sitting at the border waiting for tourists. They were doing the job that many Ontario sledders wish the Ontario Provincial Police would do a whole lot more of. As mentioned you wouldn't think of trying that in Quebec as they have no tolerance and big fines. Sorry you got charged but I''m pretty certain that some of that money will find its way back to the trail system via government funding or grants..

11 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Those cops charge New Brunswick residents if they don't have permits. I don't think it would look good for them to be charging N.B. citizens and giving non resident tourists a free pass. That's likely why they weren't sitting at the border waiting for tourists. They were doing the job that many Ontario sledders wish the Ontario Provincial Police would do a whole lot more of. As mentioned you wouldn't think of trying that in Quebec as they have no tolerance and big fines. Sorry you got charged but I''m pretty certain that some of that money will find its way back to the trail system via government funding or grants..

I did not expect a free pass. Just an opportunity  to purchase a trail pass, even at a punitive cost, vs. a  traffic violation. I hope some of the fine does indeed go to the trail system. I was wrong, the fine has been paid online, I had to search to get that accomplished, as the website on the ticket did not help. Lesson learned, this won't happen again, to me.

On 2/19/2020 at 4:44 PM, wng-2 said:

I did not expect a free pass. Just an opportunity  to purchase a trail pass, even at a punitive cost, vs. a  traffic violation. I hope some of the fine does indeed go to the trail system. I was wrong, the fine has been paid online, I had to search to get that accomplished, as the website on the ticket did not help. Lesson learned, this won't happen again, to me.

Permits are available by ordering on line or going in person to any Service New Brunswick location.