Team Iceman 2020 #3 Abitibi

iceman

Tuesday 25 February 

Splendid stay as always at Hotel Matagami. Busy place the restaurant/bar gets alot of business from the people there in town. Out and heading down the 396 to 93 to La Sarre. Left at 9:30. Trail is nice. Has held up well just like the Lebel side. Grooming map shows 93 groomed to La Sarre. Seeing more activity with the colder temps. Gotta luv it. We are off. Nice temperature this AM cold is good. Have not run this trail down this direction in a long time. Same with the Lebel side yesterday’s ride seems we have done it the opposite way the last few times. Nice to shake things up. Trail has some spots where it’s open and the drifts have taken over but just a little bit. We run to first warming hut. Here we chat with two couples from North Bay, real nice folks we chatted at breakfast with the one gentleman. Met the rest of gang at first hut. They were leaving breakfast as we went in. We say goodbye and they follow us from the warming hut. The one gentleman says you guys can go first we don’t ride that fast. Okie dokie. We hammer down to second warming hut. We are there maybe 10 minutes they pull up. They ride pretty fast. We are leaving they are taking a break. Beautiful finish to St Felix for gas. It’s noon. Another gang we met at Forestel from Ontario. Parry Sound i think. They are headed up to Matagami. Eating lunch at the gas station. Nice store there got everything. Including Pizza and hot food. We have the usual full tank of super, Today is Reese’s peanut butter cups and a Pepsi. 

Finished we head off out 93 for La Sarre. Groomed and nice. Much more traffic headed east judging by ski tracks, well used since this morning  Its fast and fun. Quick run to Local orange trail I head south then back to 93 and on up to La Sarre. It’s been nothing but good trail today. Headed into gas we pass one groomer, nice. We fill up and get supplies for the hotel. On the way to Villa mon Repos here are 2 more groomers one following the other, I am thinking they must have just left the barn and will each take a different route a bit further out. Or if its a new technique I like it. Double grooming good just like double cheeseburger it’s twice as good. Good sign for the morning. Into hotel and what do we find? Villa Repos now has a Boston Pizza Restaurant in it. I like it. 

220 miles. 

Tomorrow we will recalculate and decide some things. We got a pretty good storm coming. I need to decide where to be. 

On 2/24/2020 at 5:41 PM, iceman said:

Big straight next to road, then for him a sweeper to the right. Only he went straight. You could see he locked her down the fluff helped slow him but he was in there pretty good. Obviously a lack of talent here.

Why does this sound so danged familiar?!

9 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Heading towards Amos for lunch. Am I going to see any monkeys today ?

Undecided as of yet. Thinking Amos tonight that may change. Where to for lunch?

36 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Amosphere at high noon. Would like to finally meet you.

Unfortunately I do not think it’s today. Just not gonna be there by noon. 

7 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

We’ll be hanging there till almost 2 I imagine ..........,

Then maybe i will check there on the way by

i think Val d’or tonight

“G” DAMNIT......!!!!!!..........I “effen” knew I should have waited......MY BAD.........we were getting anxious because we had to do another 130 miles at 1:30............well that just means next time will be for sure.........I’m finally gonna meet Quebecbob tomorrow night if we all make it to Parent in one piece. I wanted to ride a couple miles with (and see) just how “quick Nick” is..........

at Faillon we’ll before dark. We are eating at 730

i chose shrimp cocktail appetizer and seafood Alfredo ......stand by for pics

imternet tough here tonight and I’m the only American here again. Place is full

23 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

“G” DAMNIT......!!!!!!..........I “effen” knew I should have waited......MY BAD.........we were getting anxious because we had to do another 130 miles at 1:30............well that just means next time will be for sure.........I’m finally gonna meet Quebecbob tomorrow night if we all make it to Parent in one piece. I wanted to ride a couple miles with (and see) just how “quick Nick” is..........

Yes indeed. Would have been fun. Another time. For sure.

Wednesday 26 February 

Vacation day today. Some extra sleep and late breakfast, rolled out of La Sarre at 10 am. Dinner at Boston Pizza was good. We definitely liked it. Breakfast also real good. Leaving town (for those familiar with La Sarre and going to Villa mon Repos) as you cross the train tracks then the road to get back to the trail there was a serious structure fire 🔥 on your right leaving right near train tracks. Street was blocked off. Not sure what is was(never noticed to be honest) but it is no more. We slept through all the action. 3 excavators pulling it all apart as it was smoking bad still. One excavator actually inside foundation in the basement, quite a sight to see. They had to drop red ribbons blocking off scene to let us through, so did not stop in middle of their scene to take pictures. Anyway was surely a big, hot fire. Nothing left. But smoking ruins. 

Out onto local trail fresh groom hard pack. We don’t get far I get a call from snohorse, check engine light on lost power and it stopped by itself. Hmmm? I am thinking well at least I am right here near town. Swing around he is waiting. Not happy for sure. We pull key off, put it back on, and try it. Starts runs fine no check engine light on, no codes, nothing. Strange but OK. We are going. 

Local to 93 for the loop above La Sarre. Not groomed recently but still nice a few open places drifted a bit. Back around and then  Local orange back to 93. Direction Amos to try to make the rendezvous with Snowmaster. We push hard trail is perfect. Couple places today the 850’s needed scratchers. No choice drop em. My Apex zero issue with heat. No scratchers for me. Pull into Amosphere 1:45, he gone. We tried. Gas there in Amos then backtrack to 307. Down to 83 all nice. Arrive in Malarctic and just east of town same radio call as this morning 850 shut down again. Hmm now 2 times in one day. He waits a second then tries it, it starts fires runs fine just like this AM. Now it’s troubling though. We abandoned plan to run longer diwn local from 83 to 309 then up to Val D’or. We go straight to Val D’or the 83. Straight to Beric Sport. Explain the trouble they take it in to put it on the computer. Doesn’t take long verdict is in.....

to be continued 

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Chris, were will be on the trail by 8am. 225 miles to get to lombre. suposede to snow, who knows how nuch. but our plan is to go and get there, see you there, Bob.

26 February Wednesday 

continued......

now I am no mechanic but when the mechanic plugged in sled and ran , showing 32 output from Stator, he says supposed to be 55. Says stator is bad needs new one. Could be ok but not sure how long. Says when it quits it quits. Houston we got a problem. Now the dance begins. Here at Beric Sport in Val-d’Or the do not have the part. They call Seneterre, negative no part,  no time to install anyway. Amos has the part. Amos has no time tomorrow or even friday to do job. Royaun Noranda no part.

here they can order part but with storm everything will get blocked in Montreal and they wont get parts delivery Friday morning maybe Friday afternoon so too late. 

Then I ask why we cannot get part from Amos and have Val d’Or where sled is now put it in. Dealers cannot give each other parts they tell me. Everything needs to be ordered from Montreal when you need something. Maybe because of warranty claim? It is covered? Anyway ain’t happening. Mechanic boss says no time to do job anyway. They are short one mechanic and slammed with work. And we would have to go to Amos buy stator from there, $813 canadian. However when I asked how he gets the $813 from Bombardier back (since part is warranted) they said he probably would not get it. Anyway sorry if all that is confusing.

We bail out of there, to Gas Depanneur and return to hotel. A bit dejected after the sweet start we had. Now while Shawinigan should get a big dump of snow 30cm in 48hrs they say. Out here says 15-20cm. But with high wind and not much vis. Not sure it’s the best day to find out if the stator will last all day or not?  

Tell me what would you do?

Go out into storm, take a chance it stays running

or

??????

me i sense the end of this run. 

Might just need to wait out storm, head back Friday morning. Get BCX somewhere it will be fixed up by next friday close to my house. 

Regroup and prepare for Cote Nord and try it all again. 

Snohorse surely not happy with his ride right now. I told him that’s snowmobiling. He knows. Could be anything anytime anywhere. 

220 Miles

Edited by iceman