Joliette/St-Donat Black Mountain photo-ride report 22February2020 ***new video added 14e post***

towing

Here is the map of our yesterday ride February  22, 2020  Joliette/St-Donat

carte_zpsdrerfepb.jpg

With the very mild temperature forecasted and the very cloudy weather we hesitated to go to the Black Mountain knowing that we would probably not see it at its best but we had still tried our luck. About -5C at start from home under a very cloudy sky. Here in the St-Ambroise de Kildare sector

DSC01663_zpsl6jayfyu.jpg

The propane crisis in the fall left its mark here and I would like to take this opportunity to thank this farmer in St-Ambroise sector who still let us pass through his unharvested corn field

DSC01667_zpscyuri5ay.jpg

at the shack north of St-Ambroise we continued on #43 trail

DSC01670_zpsaco9j14z.jpg

The #43 is beautiful but it is definitely a slower/more winding trail. Here a bridge that will need repairs in the St-Alphonse de Rodiguez sector

DSC01681_zpsjwb4sqve.jpg

DSC01699_zps0n5jinvc.jpg

Here, crossing the Ouareau river via the shared bridge for snowmobiles and ATVs

DSC01702_zpsvsz5v8rj.jpg

On the other side the trails are distinct although they cross and overlap few times and it is a bit confusing in some spots

DSC01708_zpso5xqq3qa.jpg

We then took #310 to go through Notre-Dame de la Merci where we refueled at Pétro-T gaz station. Their large parking lot makes it an interesting place as a starting point for many snowmobilers.

DSC01722_zpskb8b4lvd.jpg

We then continue along the #125 car road via a local trail for joining the #33 and then the # 317 trail

DSC01727_zpsgsdfpdqh.jpg

To finally head towards the Black Mountain

DSC01734_zpsyrsrusmh.jpg

It's starting to rise...

dsc01736_zpsxixkdy40.jpg

It's starting to get snowier ...

dsc01738_zpsr10elrmc.jpg

And we arrive at the top just a little before noon. We were darn lucky: the sky has completely cleared and the sun was there! 

dsc1742_zpsmugeziej.jpg

And gray jays are also!

dsc01743_zpszoydazga.jpg

With the mild weather, the decor was not frosty as sometimes but we were still very lucky to have had the sun with us. The temperature was mild and we ate a small snack right there to take advantage of all the beauties of the spot

DSC01744_zpsdhymkthh.jpg

dsc1745_zpsm9blexys.jpg

We stayed there for a good hour and a half. In no hurry, we took advantage of the moment to admire the magnificent view ...

dsc1778_zpsqn6fh4oh.jpg

DSC01779_zpsw37z7om2.jpg

And we had fun with the gray jays who had fun with us too I think

dsc1784_zpslawlzaps.jpg

dsc1781_zpsobbbbosn.jpg

On a clear day like that the view is simply spectacular ...

dsc1783_zpsdk79thoj.jpg

Sometimes there no need to being so equipped !!!

dsc1786_zpsigvcbvve.jpg

Kristine's technique with her old 2005 sony without zoom (which takes most of the photos from our reports) is just as effective!

dsc01804_zpsqq63hppr.jpg

The result...

DSC01805_zpsonh48bck.jpg

We had a lot of fun with them and I almost drained my whole Go-pro battery just during the time we were there ... surely some nice videos to come when I have time for the editing...

DSC01815_zpse4piehft.jpg

We finally left a little past 1:30 p.m.

DSC01825_zpsdxp9yziz.jpg

Here coming down from the mountain

DSC01830_zpssdlbncdd.jpg

I forgot to indicate it in our route map but we went to see the Mont des Cenelles a little further. Vegetation has grown and it is starting to be more difficult to see well

DSC01838_zpsjpzh1wc1.jpg

The best part of the view is directly from the trail going down, really beautiful...

DSC01841_zpstaftnsev.jpg

We then continued on the #33 trail and completely went around Archambault Lake

DSC01844_zpsejr42biy.jpg

And then headed  east towards Coin Lavigne

dsc1846_zps27qxzqra.jpg

DSC01848_zpsqhqqn7bk.jpg

Here at the junction of the restricted acces trail of Parc du Mont-Tremblant

dsc1850_zps0kfvtfwb.jpg

A little further on the #33 trail we encounter this: a loader bogged down on the trail

DSC01859_zpsopx4cxje.jpg

They had to use a bigger one to get it out of there ... They did pretty much damage to the trail

DSC01861_zpssyeu9jkw.jpg

But 5 minutes later we crossed the dozer which was already on the way to repair the trail damage

DSC01864_zpsq8pbztbo.jpg

DSC01866_zpsrtmlvtil.jpg

So we continued with very good trail conditions

dsc1868_zpsi6r5nqtc.jpg

And stopped to fuel up at Coin Lavigne

dsc1872_zpsyk1n1pdq.jpg

We then continued on #33 trail, the section which had been announced closed earlier in the week but which was now re-opened and groomed

dsc1873_zpsyxoeqnwa.jpg

We took the #343 to join the #63 trail

DSC01877_zpsyfdkn6vs.jpg

that we took to go down south. Here passing at the Domaine Bazinet outfitter

dsc01880_zpsngg00og2.jpg

We continued south and the trail conditions remained very nice for a mild Saturday. Here just north of Ste-Émilie de l'Énergie down the big hill.

dsc01885_zpsnqozejxo.jpg

And here passing at St-Jean de Matha ...

DSC01890_zpsaoba2zyb.jpg

We stopped to eat in St-Félix de Valois around 6:15 pm to take a good break. this section was the only one of the ride really worn out at the end of the day. Then we came back through Joliette. We finally arrived home around 7:45 pm with 219 miles on the dreammeter for the day, very happy with our visit to the Black Mountain which was even better than expected with the sun that showed up, and our ride with really good trail conditions on most of the route despite the mild weather.

We must admit that time flies and we will be entering March next weekend, so now is really the time to ride before it is too late! For ourselvest, we are taking our snowmobile vacation from next Sunday for a week and at the same time a ride report break. Continue to post your own ride reports!

Otherwise,  Pays de la motoneige trail conditions web site is always a good place to have details of the conditions in Lanaudière / Mauricie: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

Think snow!

Alain

Edited by towing

Hi Alain,

Thanks for taking us on another ride. You hit the mountain at the perfect time. 

Sony made one heck of a camera in 2005. Kristine really knows how to use it. The photos are terrific. 

We hope you have great weather and smooth trails on your vacation.

2 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Those pics of the Jays are incredible and your trail reports are a  splendid read as always mon ami. 

Thank you Chris! It was a funny ride 😊

1 hour ago, GT Rider said:

Hi Alain,

Thanks for taking us on another ride. You hit the mountain at the perfect time. 

Sony made one heck of a camera in 2005. Kristine really knows how to use it. The photos are terrific. 

We hope you have great weather and smooth trails on your vacation.

You are welcome Jim! I had tried many time to replace that darn old sony but found nothing on the market that can take pics instantly while moving without having to go with an action cam This old thing had 2 buttons, one for power and the other to shoot... the newer stuff is more complicated and have many buttons that are accidently hit( kristine keep it in her mitts). Newer is not always better! 

I too wish the best for your trip, have fun and enjoy every moments!

17 hours ago, mikerider said:

As always, enjoyed your report and pictures.  The pictures of the jays were very special. I never tire of seeing those friendly birds.

mike

Thanks Mike, I never tire of playing with them! and they let us take some great shots of them, pics and video I just miss time this week for editing video but I will make something nice with that in the next weeks. They are part of the nature's beauties 😍

Edited by towing

6 hours ago, towing said:

Thanks Mike, I never tire of playing with them! and they let us take some great shots of them, pics and video I just miss time this week for editing video but I will make something nice with that in the next weeks. They are part of the nature's beauties 😍

I sure wish we had those Jays down in the states. When I tell people back home about them eating out of your hand I think they think I’m making it up. Until I show them the pictures.....

Alain......where are you guys heading for your “annual” trip this year ?

Ok....I think what I’m gonna do is capture a couple (should be relatively easy) and take them back to the finger Lakes region in NY and see if they multiply. LOL

at the Central having breakfast  with two locals

15 sleds in back parking lot....mostly Ontario Plates.....imagine that

Edited by snowmaster2112

7 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

When I tell people back home about them eating out of your hand I think they think I’m making it up. Until I show them the pictures.....

I got the same reaction years ago but I didn't have pictures to prove it. LOL

13 hours ago, neksledr said:

They are here Chris, this one feeding from by hand during hunting season in New Hampshire this year!

IMG_20191122_104848296.jpg

What's amazed me is that they are instinctively friendly to humans even like this one in the middle of the wood. Those from the Black mountain may have being tamed from all people going there with food but I meet somes in remote area that were even coming into our hands

13 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

I sure wish we had those Jays down in the states. When I tell people back home about them eating out of your hand I think they think I’m making it up. Until I show them the pictures.....

Alain......where are you guys heading for your “annual” trip this year ?

I got the same reaction from many people here that had never the chance to encounter them

2 hours ago, viper2 said:

Great report Alain, where are you headed on your trip this year?

I had not pull the trigger yet, still watching the weather but likely big chances it will be toward Saguenay Bill land...

image.gif

• 4 weeks later...