Governors Lodge - NB

Signfan

They have a beautiful lodge, it was closed for a couple of years and just reopened this year.  I have never seen the inside a room, but know many that have stayed and were happy. You may want to contact them and ask what is available for services and open times. The Atlantic Host in Bathurst is an option in that area and always a sure bet.

Thanks 

That's kinda my plan.  

Day 1 - Edmunston - Bathurst - stay at Atlantic Host

Day 2 - Bathurst - Governors Lodge - stay at Governors Lodge.  Day will consist of a loop towards Miramichi and out into the Acadian Peninsula a touch before heading back northwest

Day 3 - Governors Lodge - Edmunston.

Looking at roughly 300 km days with the third being a touch shorter as we will have a 10 hr drive home to complete same day.  Any recomendations for where to stay in Edmunston the first night?  Figured I wouldn't have issues finding a hotel there.  Any must see's or must ride trails we should hit up in this loop?

11 hours ago, Signfan said:

Thanks 

That's kinda my plan.  

Day 1 - Edmunston - Bathurst - stay at Atlantic Host

Day 2 - Bathurst - Governors Lodge - stay at Governors Lodge.  Day will consist of a loop towards Miramichi and out into the Acadian Peninsula a touch before heading back northwest

Day 3 - Governors Lodge - Edmunston.

Looking at roughly 300 km days with the third being a touch shorter as we will have a 10 hr drive home to complete same day.  Any recomendations for where to stay in Edmunston the first night?  Figured I wouldn't have issues finding a hotel there.  Any must see's or must ride trails we should hit up in this loop?

I have stayed at the Travelodge, large parking lot, pool, trail on periphery, older motel, ground floor walk out rooms available (think I had room 202 but don't quote me). The NB map shows it as a Quality Inn which was changed at least 2 years ago. Appears to be a restaurant proximate, but double check.

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/travelodge/edmundston-new-brunswick/travelodge-edmundston/overview?CID=LC:TL:20160927:Rio:Local

travelodge.jpg.f46f2b002aa733043e2a01de0655bd38.jpg

While in Edmundston, try to visit one of the two Pirate restaurants in town - lobster rolls available all year round, as opposed to just during the lobster catch seasons, and other seafood....the hotels near there also get some good reviews but can't vouch personally for them.

1148492130_piraterestaurant.jpg.3c8fcd6a22a0ef2fb90a9e8021af4207.jpg

Just for fun, consider going a little further south on the four lane and look at Grand Falls - two good trail side hotels there as well and perhaps less town pavement.

https://www.choicehotels.com/en-ca/new-brunswick/grand-falls/rodeway-inn-hotels/cn858

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotel-rooms.64008.html?iata=00171880&ssob=BLBWI0004G&cid=BLBWI0004G:google:gmb:64008

Have a good trip!

I have stayed at the Days Inn,  just a little further south of Edmundston. They have good rooms, very snowmobile friendly, very close to the trail, large parking area with no issue leaving your truck and trailer there. Only real drawback is proximity to food in the evening, they do have a decent continental to get you going in the morning.

For your first day Edmundston to Bathurst I would go via Serpentine Lodge which is very close to the intersection of the 23 and 58. Alyre the owner is quite a character and serves up a good burger. Fast trails in this area, you will click off miles quick. The trails around Mt Carleton are nice if they are groomed and you have time. Just a heads up,  in the interior you are buying fuel at the lodges and club houses and they are all right around $2.00/liter - bring cash.

Second day I would personally explore the trails north of Bathurst and end up in Campbellton for the night. Jacquet river area trails are nice and have lower traffic.

Third day would be Campbellton to Edmundston via Moose Valley. Easy day. The 17 out of Campbellton is a nice winding railbed. On a clear day, The Squaw Cap lookoff on this railbed is worth taking the time to see. Moose Valley is a real nice area, wide fast trails, nice lodge with good food, a destination for sure.  If you need to get to Edmundston quick from Moose Valley, the 17 is fast. If you have the time, the trails to the north that that parallel the 17 are a little more scenic, albeit slower.

Just my two cents

Edited by P Hardy

How do I make a full 300 km day on day 2 in that itenary?  My original thought was to go into Campbellton, but was struggling with how to make the mileage work.  Definately going through Moose Valley.  That was on my day one itenary.

Signfan,

We did a 5 day trip, 1,900 km in Northern New Brunswick in 2018. Yesterday on our drive back home to Lindsay from our Cote Nord Trip we decided we will do NB again next winter. 

We started in Edmunston at the Travelodge which worked fine. As PHardy said the Days Inn is on south side of Edmunston right on the highway. Only negative is no restaurant on site. We did a big loop similar to what P Hardy suggested except reverse. 

First day left Edmunston headed north up to Moose Valley Lodge. That’s a beautiful ride. Ended up in Bathurst that night. Next day we left Bathurst and rode out to the end of the Acadian Pennisula. We will not do that ride again. Majority of the ride out is an old rail bed. Must of crossed 100 driveways and roads. Not much to see and relatively flat. Got to ride on the bay at the ocean but other than to say we did it was a been there, done that ride, don’t need to do it again,

Ride from Bathurst down to Maramichi then back west to Serpentine Lodge is a great ride also. Have to meet the Serpentine Lodge owner and his beautiful husky dog. Real character.

85% of NB riding is forestry roads. Fast running. Were we normally may do 300 km on a Gaspe loop 400 km in NB is doable in the same number of hours. 

Gas isn’t a problem but you do have to have a plan and hit the lodges in the interior. There is also new gas depot at Mont Carleton now. 

The trail that runs parallel with the highway from Grand Falls north to Edmunston is more of a getting from point A to point B type of run vs being a scenic need to do that again trail. 

The snowmobile club at Bathurst has a really good website with daily updates on grooming and trail conditions. Can’t think of the site address at the moment. 

Really enjoyable riding where your headed. Have a great trip.DFF450F2-34E3-40C9-A261-5B7817A08955.png.acd0ccf7ef0e7405e1b971a039c8bd75.png

1 hour ago, Signfan said:

How do I make a full 300 km day on day 2 in that itenary?  My original thought was to go into Campbellton, but was struggling with how to make the mileage work.  Definately going through Moose Valley.  That was on my day one itenary.

This is an option for day one:

image.thumb.png.b984beed9fe884b48f1a3e26d6a57781.png

Option for day two:

image.thumb.png.fdcd3a6c3733ebe511d1649397b259f5.png

1 hour ago, Signfan said:

Is the run up through Campbelton a better choice than down towards Miramichi?

Mirimichi does have some nice trails, but their grooming isn't quite as consistant as it is further North, it's great when you hit it right though. The Bathurst club has a huge area, 3 groomers and groom constantly. They even groom to Serpentine which is 180Km one way.  http://www.bathursttrails.com/en/conditions

As you can see on the map, there are lots of loops to extend your day, and the miles go quick in NB, we've seen a moving average of 70km/hr up there, which is good for being able to stop lots and still not get in late.

Ok you convinced me.  I like the itenary.  Thanks for the advice.  Hope to get this run in mid March.  Its 250 km for the last day which is manageable with the drive home still to do.  Thanks for the advice.

7 hours ago, P Hardy said:

This is an option for day one:

image.thumb.png.b984beed9fe884b48f1a3e26d6a57781.png

Option for day two:

image.thumb.png.fdcd3a6c3733ebe511d1649397b259f5.png

Mirimichi does have some nice trails, but their grooming isn't quite as consistant as it is further North, it's great when you hit it right though. The Bathurst club has a huge area, 3 groomers and groom constantly. They even groom to Serpentine which is 180Km one way.  http://www.bathursttrails.com/en/conditions

As you can see on the map, there are lots of loops to extend your day, and the miles go quick in NB, we've seen a moving average of 70km/hr up there, which is good for being able to stop lots and still not get in late.

9 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Signfan,

We did a 5 day trip, 1,900 km in Northern New Brunswick in 2018. Yesterday on our drive back home to Lindsay from our Cote Nord Trip we decided we will do NB again next winter. 

We started in Edmunston at the Travelodge which worked fine. As PHardy said the Days Inn is on south side of Edmunston right on the highway. Only negative is no restaurant on site. We did a big loop similar to what P Hardy suggested except reverse. 

First day left Edmunston headed north up to Moose Valley Lodge. That’s a beautiful ride. Ended up in Bathurst that night. Next day we left Bathurst and rode out to the end of the Acadian Pennisula. We will not do that ride again. Majority of the ride out is an old rail bed. Must of crossed 100 driveways and roads. Not much to see and relatively flat. Got to ride on the bay at the ocean but other than to say we did it was a been there, done that ride, don’t need to do it again,

Ride from Bathurst down to Maramichi then back west to Serpentine Lodge is a great ride also. Have to meet the Serpentine Lodge owner and his beautiful husky dog. Real character.

85% of NB riding is forestry roads. Fast running. Were we normally may do 300 km on a Gaspe loop 400 km in NB is doable in the same number of hours. 

Gas isn’t a problem but you do have to have a plan and hit the lodges in the interior. There is also new gas depot at Mont Carleton now. 

The trail that runs parallel with the highway from Grand Falls north to Edmunston is more of a getting from point A to point B type of run vs being a scenic need to do that again trail. 

The snowmobile club at Bathurst has a really good website with daily updates on grooming and trail conditions. Can’t think of the site address at the moment. 

Really enjoyable riding where your headed. Have a great trip.DFF450F2-34E3-40C9-A261-5B7817A08955.png.acd0ccf7ef0e7405e1b971a039c8bd75.png

Thsys the 2nd person that has told me to avoid the Acadian Peninsula.  I will take the advice.  Thanks 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....😉 The advice of the saddle baggers above is good considering your type of trip. Here's a few pics from my day tour of the peninsula - I find it interesting to see how people live in the different areas in which we sled...

1133834638_IMG_2545(Medium).thumb.JPG.3fedb9b1677128e03c2019fd35523368.JPG

677101465_IMG_2546(Medium).thumb.JPG.cfccc0e27257d4926ef9e1d604195de8.JPG

725185284_IMG_2555(Medium).thumb.JPG.0e62d5a3055929f44f94c372f9768c2c.JPG

676774108_IMG_2559(Medium).thumb.JPG.b3e63acb25d3cf13e535b00979cf4fb3.JPG

I know you've been planning this ride for quite some time so hope it all works out well! BTW those lobster rolls in Edmundston are prepared in the Maine style. There are differences.