TQ3 Tadoussac to La Malbaie

Grampsledder

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know the story why this critical section of trail is closed? I met up with a FCMQ Official on the trail going South from the Ferry on 2/11/2023 and he was Francais only so I don't know if I got the story correct or not. Does it have something to do with the guy who runs the Sled Dogs through that section? There are maybe 6 or 7 Arret signs in about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile stretch. Seems reasonable to stop at them to watch out for the dogs ..... is it that people weren't stopping? It's a tough place to close the trail.

Trail Closure.png

9 hours ago, capril19 said:

Does anyone know the story why this critical section of trail is closed? I met up with a FCMQ Official on the trail going South from the Ferry on 2/11/2023 and he was Francais only so I don't know if I got the story correct or not. Does it have something to do with the guy who runs the Sled Dogs through that section? There are maybe 6 or 7 Arret signs in about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile stretch. Seems reasonable to stop at them to watch out for the dogs ..... is it that people weren't stopping? It's a tough place to close the trail.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_02/517422021_TrailClosure.png.d1e60deecc88176ff47a9c8f49cc3f99.png

Yup…too fast passing through

https://cihofm.com/news/vitesse-excessive-bosco-charlevoix-ferme-sa-piste-de-motoneige/?fbclid=IwAR1DCpm8r2LknR68Zeiu1RokED-kxHq78O-ROpcLMGdvbUccYLJ2I2jGKzk

Bosco Charlevoix de Saint-Siméon has made the decision to close access to the federated snowmobile trail that crosses its private land, until further notice.

In a publication on social networks this weekend, the guided dog sled excursion company pointed to the excessive speed of a snowmobile operator, who was driving "at 100 km/h in an area of 30 km/h", according to the testimony of owners Antoine Laforest-Côté and Roxanne Lazzaroni.

"You literally spent 10 seconds taking the lives of 6 of my dogs," we read. "We have made sure to put a lot of signage on our field so that we can share the track with those who enjoy doing this recreational sport. ".

Bosco Charlevoix's team opens the door to the Les Aventuriers Snowmobile Club to find a compromise. Until then, the fence will remain closed.

Not wanting to take any risks, the owners ask the snowmobile operator to respect their decision and "not to pass on the sides of the fence". "We are sorry for all those who have made the effort to respect the speeds, but an accident is one too many and we can't afford it. We tried to share our land, but unfortunately because of one person, many will see access to this snowmobile trail removed," concludes the message.

When I’m not sledding I spend a lot of time with my hunting dogs, currently training a 7 month old who will take place of my 12 year old…AkA… my best friends.., I completely understand how this fellow must feel loosing 6 dogs… and he only closed the trail… vey lucky that slender wasn’t dealing with me… another moron has severely injured us

6776E130-34CE-42FF-95C8-F7BB9057B5AE.jpeg

9FA53A6B-BB5F-473F-8A6E-DA42EBC477AC.jpeg

Sorry for the confusion.

the translation is not great. 

No dogs were killed there was no collision and accident with the dogs. 

he is just saying at the speeds sleds are passing and not respecting the limit and the stop signs. It can happen very quickly and before it does. Now the trail is closed. 

confusion or not..we need to find a way to wake people up...seems like no matter what we do...there is always someone with zero respect ...that's a big deal being closed....land owners have all the power...over sledders, fisherman, hikers, hunters...it's not getting better...when ever you get to thank or do something for someone opening up their land to us...just do it!!

12 hours ago, quebec bob said:

confusion or not..we need to find a way to wake people up...seems like no matter what we do...there is always someone with zero respect ...that's a big deal being closed....land owners have all the power...over sledders, fisherman, hikers, hunters...it's not getting better...when ever you get to thank or do something for someone opening up their land to us...just do it!!

Sadly this is todays world

me first and f everyone else. The future is not looking bright. 

Thanks for the article Iceman. It's very unfortunate because there is no way around it right now. You get to the fence and have to turn around ar go back. If you don't have enough gas coming from the Ferry you're up shlit's creek. There's no excuse for not slowing down on that section of trail. Like I said, there's maybe 5 or 6 crossings where the sled dog trails cross the snowmobile trail and they are clearly marked and it's only a 1/2 mile or so that you have to pay attention to the signs .... seriously, some people need to have their sleds taken away for doing stuff like this which effects all of us.

My 'home base' for snowmobiling is the Chalets at the base of Mont Grand Fonds ski area where there is a secondary trail that goes from the ski area up to the Clubhouse for the Adventurers. For the first couple of miles leaving the downhill ski area there are probably 7 or 8 cross-country ski trail crossings and also some Raquets (Snowshoe) crossings. So you just take it easy and slow down on that section and pay attention to possible skiiers and others for about 2 or 3 miles at most. About 6 or 7 years ago they had a fatality on that trail. Luckily it was still kept open.