Team Iceman 2020 #4 Cote Nord

iceman

Great adventure, I got stuck on the wrong trail 3 weeks ago in the big storm and the 2 guys with me were swimming to their chest in snow, and not too happy about the dig out...3 sleds, like you said , hard to pick the trail in snow, stuck happens!! Hope you can get that reverse going, hard to live without it. I rode almost 30 years before they had reverse, boy it was a great addition, be safe,Bob.

4 minutes ago, NH-Moose said:

Great stuff Don and Phil. But I’m having trouble seeing the pictures of your sled stud. They’re not loading 😉

They say if there are no pictures it didn’t happen. Right? Ask Phil’s aching back..No pictures were taken however imagine me sunk you have seen it before. Just like that but deeper. 

I could have never mentioned it with no photos existing right? LOL 

You need to come next time. We are getting from Sept Isles to Havre we will be trying again. 

11 March Wednesday 

Snow has stopped this morning. Sun and clouds. I pull side cover on my Apex to have a look at linkage and a good look at chaincase. Linkage looks all there to me but I know is a sensitive adjustment there and its needs to be just right. No obvious chaincase leaks, oil in chaincase clean and full. Suit up and head to visit this Yamaha dealer. Arrived 9:30 walked in chatted with service manager, explaining I had been to Sept Isles yesterday. Being the same owners he took my receipt from yesterday, just entered the info his computer. They pulled my sled right in and handed it back. No charge, of course. Let’s see how it goes. Now I know I am not the only one here that when you know something might not be 100% on your sled, you ride all day with that little exta thing to have in your mind to throw around. Just the way it is. 

Nice ride leaving Baie Comeau not groomed but enough tracks to be nice. All the way to Clubhouse. After Clubhouse groomer has gone west. Lots of tracks going east. Have ridden on most of his work. We have just our usual spot hard right, not touched. Works well. Here trail was groomed late last night its frozen more solid. As we go west here come 3 guys going east. They are using it all up. The fresh groomed trail is soft and after three sleds going north its back to if it hasn’t been groomed. Been that kind of year. Just cannot catch a break with grooming. Storms and Mechanical issues. We wrestled sleds to Forrestville. Groomed in town in Forrestville and then we had lunch and headed for Escoumins. Worst section we seen all trip. Was beat up Sunday when we left, now its beat up rough and freshly snowed on. I think it helps a little, but then not sure. This would be the worst leg of the day conditions wise. Snohorse is nursing a bad back for real and no, not from digging me out, he had it since last run. So this section was rough with a bad back. 4:00 at Pel  Chat, we are done for today. Not big day. But good enough. Snowmobile’s are for snow right? 

Demain cest un autre jour

Edited by iceman

On 3/9/2020 at 11:00 PM, iceman said:

I surely did not see where it was punched through. We are just two. Riding like that is not my thing. If it was my bag then surely I would not be on my Yamaha for that. 

Strength in numbers is surely a good thing, 

i would never have been to Havre in the first place without Team Vermont. 

Where are you? I am not that familiar at all with what is where after Havre. 

How far up? 

Mr. Iceman, we left Labrador this morning at 7:am trying to get back to Sept-Îles before the next winter blast, luckily today’s snowfall was at our backs as we traveled 180 miles back into Harrington Harbour.5ED39F48-29FC-4B6D-BF39-9F98B2316A59.jpeg.d44acf3c8d56aa6cdd6b4d21027c66ad.jpeg

DF431419-CCEC-4913-AACF-3434CDFDF274.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Miles long said:

Mr. Iceman, we left Labrador this morning at 7:am trying to get back to Sept-Îles before the next winter blast, luckily today’s snowfall was at our backs as we traveled 180 miles back into Harrington Harbour.5ED39F48-29FC-4B6D-BF39-9F98B2316A59.jpeg.d44acf3c8d56aa6cdd6b4d21027c66ad.jpeg

DF431419-CCEC-4913-AACF-3434CDFDF274.jpeg

Nice ride there. Someday I may just get up there. Hope you make it back to truck before the blow.

next time we trailer to sept isles too. 

Love to meet you sometime for sure.

12 March Thursday 

Woke up and decided we were pulling the plug on this one. You just need to know when its time to get out. With the forecast for Friday looking so so and possibly alot of snow in Saguenay. My original plan was to ride to Chicoutimi then back here Friday night. It was time to go. But not before a quick 75 miles. We suit up and run west on 3 to Clubhouse. Freshly groomed and beautiful we make short work of that. We continue north toward the Pel Chat trail this section rarely disappoints. Today it was awesome. Fast run up on grooming to perfection. We turn around where groomer does and blast back down to Hotel. 1 hour and a 20 minutes 75 miles. Load sleds in trailer get changed. Black trail dry and sunny. 4.5 hours to home. My sled goes to Moto Thibault and trailer we drop at my shop. Got home in time to catch up to Playhard and Joseph for dinner at St Hubert. Nice to hang. We will regroup and if the border does not get closed we will be at it again in 9 or 10 days. 

This trip, a little of everything for sure. Nice weather, practice in storm sledding, no grooming to nicely groomed. Everyone is different. 

Until next time.

Side note came home to learn one of the Mrs students back from Greece and Italy showing signs of Coronavirus. Awaiting results of test. Schools closed here today as precaution. If he tests positive then she will be tested. 

I need to get back on the trail.

4 minutes ago, dooright said:

We will regroup and if the border does not get closed we will be at it again in 9 or 10 days.

Have a real worry of the same , border getting closed

It’s getting out of control. Hopefully it does not come to that. At this point anything is possible. 

2 minutes ago, Blueblood said:

I just went across the border into Canada they didn't even question us?  Well I'm here now if I'm stuck I'll chase snow 😃

Never a bad idea.

might be a reality. Be careful what you wish for. 

4 hours ago, dooright said:

We will regroup and if the border does not get closed we will be at it again in 9 or 10 days.

Have a real worry of the same , border getting closed

YES, I HAVE THE SAME THOUGHTS, I AM LEAVING AT 3 AM TO GET ONE MORE WEEK IN, this is really crazy, local super market has no parking left, people were waiting to get in before they opened, we got ready for this mob mentality 2 weeks ago.