RDL Spring Trip

TheBigLake

Good morning!

Ran into mikerider on Wednesday when we pulled in, only to be reassured that we made the right decision to come here to ride.

Jumped on the machines yesterday not really knowing where we wanted to go. Sunny days usually call for a TQ5 powerline run to Rimouski, but ended up heading down past Cabano on 85. The lake and it’s surroundings looked beautiful, but a wicked temperature drop once you get close to it. Grabbed 561 and headed toward Pohénégamook, but ran into a small issue. Caution tape was run across the trail where a guy was working on his sap lines. Thought the trail was closed (plenty of snow BTW...like mid winter riding conditions) but went up and asked him if we were good. He said yes, just go slow. Every 100 yards for two miles was a caution tape ribbon across the trail, but that guy had a wicked sugar operation, it’s massive.

Chevaliers clubhouse burger and small poutine hit the spot for all five of us. 

Watch the lake when you get on it. It’s fantastic slightly off the beaten path, but dig down a foot or so and you’ll find slush. Gassed at Irving halfway up the lake. 

Just 155 for the day but it was absolutely perfect. No rush, just some great cruising. Mikerider evidently took our recommendation when we ran into him in January with roadrunner that he visit L’Estaminet (restaurant) in town. He isn’t exaggerating, the place rocks and we hit it every night we are here. I have to say, the restaurant here at the Universel hasn’t come up in the world especially in the last year. We’ve been running down the street for a McMuffin every morning rather than waiting forever for something mediocre and overpriced here. However, the rooms are still excellent and the nordic spa can’t be beat!

If you’re looking for a nice last run, RDL is the spot.

CB2B7EB7-B7CB-4861-BF24-22A53FD0142A.jpeg

Great pics showing the awesome conditions.  I am really hooked on L'Estaminet Restaurant.  Their food and atmosphere is addicting. I am indebted to you and your crew for suggesting it. Still working my way around the world with their beers from around the world, although so far my favorites have been the beers made in Quebec.

mike

We left a day early and came home yesterday. I nearly took a fall heading down the stairs to door 6 at the hotel...caught a pant leg under my boot. Saved myself from taking a digger but strained a few muscles in process. All is well, hanging home with wife and dog getting the camper and truck ready for a three week FL stint starting in 10 days.

We left on sled Friday morning with no destination planned. It was snowing lightly but we knew it was going to come down harder. Made it down TQ5 (fantastic) to Roche Blanc for an early/long lunch. 557 has a detour BTW if you use it to head down to 35. Grabbed 35 in heavy wind and snow, found a huge old tree came down right across 35 about five miles East of 557. The 900T Renegade X yarded it around as best it could to get it cleared. There were places we only ran 35-40 tops as visibility wasn’t good. From the Explorateurs up 526 we had a blast...30-35MPH through 6-10” of snow was superb. When we got near the tower on 526, there was a 6’ drift blown across the trail. Enough room for one sled width to get through unless you went over it. Another L’Estaminet dinner, another shot at the Universel spa and we are back in the homeland. If any of you are looking for fantastic March riding, I wouldn’t consider going anywhere else. It’s a home run and the hotel isn’t crowded at all. Snow cover is mid season levels but the temps are ideal. 

Taking the aux lights and Curve skis off my sled tomorrow, as it’s heading down the road on Friday. Ordered a new Renegade XRS 900T with QAS for next season. Something to look forward to!

Stay safe and have a great year!

A96AB7B3-A52B-4D9F-9149-FEFEBC34D017.jpeg

Great write up and pictures.  RDL season didn't get going to almost mid January, but the conditions the rest of the winter were superb!  And looks like they still are.

Glad you got down to L'Estimenet Pub. I am so hooked on that place and thank you and your friends for telling me about it. January 2021 is a long way away. 

mike