Quebec Restricting Movement

iceman

13 hours ago, MichiganRev said:

I've been coming to Quebec since 1995 and believe me there is no comparison. Don't get me wrong the UP can be good, but that is going to be mid-week riding.  A lot of times in the UP to get from point A to point B you only have 1 trail that will take you there, in Quebec you might have 4, 5 or more options, makes a big difference. In Quebec, even on the weekends, if you want to get out away from the crowds you can, in Michigan you can't.  Haven't rode in Michigan on the weekends in many years and have no plans to. These last few years I've been doing most of my riding in the Lac St. Jean area. It's a 14 hour drive and many liters of fuel and it's worth every bit of it.

I started riding Quebec in 1988, never ridden anywhere since, wouldn't mind trying backcountry in BC, but for trail riding, Quebec is no1 on earth, hands down!! With the US exchange rate right now is the time to buy Haltaparche, not sure what penalties an American would have to pay to bring that much cash over the border, then you need 250 to 300 more to get it where it needs to be. He has a really great following, about 200 fisherman annually and he only charges them 75 Canadian a day for fishing brook trout. With the limited business he does he pulls 75k a year, with no overhead and a lot of cash. I know this traveling fishing business very well, been doing it for 40 years. You could do really well there year round with fishing, snowmobiling and 4 wheelers. But it is a lot of work, you have to love it, turning your play time passion into work, that's another thing all together.With all that said I would really love to own that place, it would be a nice change for me, nobody likes paying a repair shop for brakes and tires, but vacationers are thrilled to show up on your door step, spending like drunken sailors and making memories, I certainly enjoy every minute I spend in Northern Quebec!!

22 hours ago, iceman said:

Police will be in place on roadways to restrict non essential movement into or out of 8 regions as of 4pm Saturday.

•  le Bas-Saint-Laurent       
  • - l’Abitibi-Témiscamingue       
  • - la Côte-Nord       
  • - le Nord-du-Québec        
  • - le Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean       
  • - la Gaspésie et les îles de la Madeleine      
  • - le Nunavik      
  • - les Terres-Cries-de-la-Baie

Small sacrifice to stay alive.

6 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Ditto! Verbatim!

Thanks to the addiction-meister New England Bob's ad in the Berkshire Snow Seekers ne

6 hours ago, zeusand said:

Yep, did my first gaspe trip with him. Just talked to him a few days ago. He's doing well!

We did a few trips with Bob probably 15-18 years ago. learned alot and met some great people with Bob. Good to here He's doing OK

This site, and quadding the Mass state forests (or any motor toys anywhere) are the methadone/binky.

Wasn’t familiar with New England Bob so googled him and came up with this QR post from 2012. Some interesting reading and history for Bob and a few other characters.

18 hours ago, zeusand said:

Once you ride in Quebec you'll never want to ride the states again

My trip down memory lane - I remember my first trip to Quebec.  It was quite by accident.  I had been reading about Quebec in the magazines.  I think it may have been Snow Goer that had the section in their magazine about great places to ride across the US and Canada.  Back in 1995, my buddy and I were supposed to meet my then nephew and circumnavigate the Michigan UP.  Trip was all planned, then a few days before we were to leave, warm up and rain.  Trip canceled.  My buddy and I both had vacation, so I said let’s try Quebec.  I called Alain at Motel Saint Agathe as he advertised a lot in the magazines at that time.  He told us to come up, the trails are like white carpets.  Man was he right.  We had the greatest of times.  After years of riding Tug Hill, and around our homes outside of Rochester, WOW WAS HE RIGHT!  25 years of the best riding in the world.  Can’t wait to go back again!

In 2013 we did circumnavigate/saddlebag the entire UP.  We caught it just right, good snow everywhere.  It was a good time, and good riding all week, until Friday afternoon for the last 50 miles back into Sault Ste. Marie, it was like Tug Hill on steroids.

There is nothing like Quebec!  

My first trip to Quebec was in 1972. Kern's Inn in Eustis, Maine held a safari trip, I believe sponsored by Schlitz Beer.  One day sledding up up to Lac Megantic, stay the night, and back the next day. One of the workers for the trip got a list of the 100 or so people making this trip, drove to the border, and handed customs the list of people that would be crossing. We never actually went thru the border crossing, but instead had permission to cross at a remote place in the woods, I remember doing the trip on a '72 Cat Cheetah 440.

By 1976 we were riding out of our Eustis camp and doing day rides into Quebec, often going to the Lac Megantic area. By the '80's doing one or two night trips into Quebec quite often.

The good news in all this, if we can find any good news, is this pandemic occurred at close to the end of the season and not at the beginning. We all have a tough road ahead of us in getting through it, but just maybe the thought of next season and the hopes that all this is behind us by then can help in some small way. Stay safe.

On 3/28/2020 at 6:12 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

i just want to go back to Haltaparche and live out my days with Jean-Guy & Gypsie. With all seriousness I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life there. He's only going to be around a few more years and could get me "up to speed" with everything there. My dream would be to make it like the "Joncas"  or "Meekos"  but only more spectacular. All my friends (snowmobiling) and others would come to visit and we would have a grand ole time. 

From what I have seen in my years riding Quebec,the locals don't take kindly to non Canadians owning things that generate income like you speak of.Camps ,cottages,homes yes.I am probably wrong and someone here hopefully can correct me, but I can't recall any current  American owned places I travel thru that lasted for long.

11 hours ago, NSHM said:

From what I have seen in my years riding Quebec,the locals don't take kindly to non Canadians owning things that generate income like you speak of.Camps ,cottages,homes yes.I am probably wrong and someone here hopefully can correct me, but I can't recall any current  American owned places I travel thru that lasted for long.

If something like that ever came to reality it would appear to be owned by my longtime French Canadian friend and just run by this crazy ass American from NY

10 minutes ago, GSX800 said:

You and 50,000 of your closest friends!  Sometimes your right rubbing the brush is not as far right is the oncoming half drunk Tucker Hibbert wannabes far left!

Guess social distancing is not going to work there.😩

On 3/28/2020 at 9:41 PM, P Hardy said:

Figure I'll throw this in here.

How does the Upper Peninsula of Michigan compare to Quebec?

Quebec is way nicer, but the UP does a good job maintaining the trails.  They just get way more traffic, so they need constant snow to keep things good.   A little tighter in terms of stops, but when you need to ride it's not a bad second choice.   Off trailing is fun, lots of two tracks and typically lots of snow.  Just have to stay out of the swamps.

We started riding in Quebec in the late 70's in Eastman and the eastern townships.  Then to St. Raymond, Mont Laurier thru the 80's and 90's.  Eventually we covered most of Quebec from Gaspe to Abitibi, Havre St Pierre to Matagami with a couple trips to Ontario thrown in.  We don't ride anywhere else.  Quebec is unsurpassed for trails, scenery,  and it's great people.

Sandi & Jack

4 minutes ago, revct1 said:

We started riding in Quebec in the late 70's in Eastman and the eastern townships.  Then to St. Raymond, Mont Laurier thru the 80's and 90's.  Eventually we covered most of Quebec from Gaspe to Abitibi, Havre St Pierre to Matagami with a couple trips to Ontario thrown in.  We don't ride anywhere else.  Quebec is unsurpassed for trails, scenery,  and it's great people.

Sandi & Jack

Sounds familiar, we started in the late 80s, early 90s in the St Agathe, St Donat area and thought we were in heaven, looking at the local map we saw up north was a place called La tuque, but it looked like it was way too far . Little did we know there was a real big Province for us to explore in the decades to come. Got 5000 miles in Quebec this season, 200 miles in Vermont, and very happy with the ratio.

6 hours ago, ChrisWright said:

Quebec is way nicer, but the UP does a good job maintaining the trails.  They just get way more traffic, so they need constant snow to keep things good.   A little tighter in terms of stops, but when you need to ride it's not a bad second choice.   Off trailing is fun, lots of two tracks and typically lots of snow.  Just have to stay out of the swamps.

Pretty reliable snow off Superior most years in the U.P.!

Ride out of Jackman a lot and saddleback to Quebec, tend to take Friday off and come back Sunday afternoon in less than 10 minutes pass more sleds than the 3 days in Quebec, and the trails in Jackman are beat up, unless it’s a cold under 10 degree day. Always curious if everyone in Jackman have DUI’s or is it they just don’t have passports?