GPS recommendation

schooter

I am looking for a recommendation for a GPS.

Would like to buy one unit that can be used for both snowmobiling and car.

Typically to be used in the US, but want to be able to add the trail maps for Quebec.

Any Pros and Cons would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Schooter

I have been using a garmin 276c for two years and I like it a lot.

It has a bright clear screen. Its nice if you are out on the trail when the sun goes down. I have had no too cold issues with it.

I bought the auto navigation kit ( 010-10510-00) which has detailed street maps for North America, power adapter, mounts and memory.

I bought the trail software from gpsquebec.ca. I can plan my trips turn by turn and don't have to worry about looking for signs as much (especially at night). I mostly saddlebag and it can be frustrating at intersections with no signs (especially at night).

Good luck with your purchase.

IMG_4878-1.jpg

I've been using a Garmin Legend Cx in my truck & on my sled for the last 2 winters. I've had it to Amos & Hearst on the sled & as far south as Atlanta while on holidays w/ the truck/

I use Topo Canada when sledding & City Navigator North America when in the truck.

Can't say enough good about the garmin 276C. Have used it in Quebec for the last 3 years, replacing an earlier lowrance hand held, and it has performed well. On 10 day saddlebag trips it is on my handlebar RAM mount, sometimes for 12 hours a day. Never malfunctioned. Never had issues with the cold.

I run topo canada, the gps quebec trail map overlays, and City Navigator for NA. You can swithch between the three seamlessly while underway. The color is great and the screen has great visibility in snow-glare enhanced sunlite.

I have it hardwired, but even in extreme cold (-30F), I've gotten 6 hour battery life on the internal battery pack. The 276C is worth the extra bucks.

timbo

I went with a Zumo from Garmin last year after using a Garmin V for the last 6 yrs.

The Zumo has a built in MP3 player which is nice as I eliminated my other one. It also has an XD card slot for picture viewer.

I loaded the Quebec maps on it last year and it worked flawlessly in ALL weather!!

The Zumo dosn't recall/store tracks as nice as some of the other units but it has tons of goodies and a great large touch screen. Works great with gloves on. It is designed specifically for motorcycles but I have found it just as good for a sled.

They are pricey though. You can even get a "550" model with satellite radio and bluetooth options. Expect to pay 500.00+ for that one.

Here is a pic of mine on my machine last year.

After doing a little more digging I found this comparison, Still very confusing

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_compari...sion-chart.html

Last year four of us bought Garmin Rino 530 HCX. The GPS works super and you also get a 5 watt radio good for 10-12 miles. With a headset installed in the helmet and a push to talk button we have communicators all well as GPS. The battery lasts all day and is 50-60% charged 10 hours later. I was gonna hard wire mine but thought why bother. Handlebar mount works great and costs only $20. The free Quebec trails downloaded from this site works perfect and you won't be disappointed.

I will second the vote for the Garmin ZUMO, I have a Zumo 550. It is purpose built for motorcycle use with left hand controls (so you dont have to lift off the throttle to operate it) and touch screen, water and vibration proof. In my opinion it is perfect for the sled and outstanding in the car but a litttle on the pricy side.

I went with a Zumo from Garmin last year after using a Garmin V for the last 6 yrs.

The Zumo has a built in MP3 player which is nice as I eliminated my other one. It also has an XD card slot for picture viewer.

I loaded the Quebec maps on it last year and it worked flawlessly in ALL weather!!

The Zumo dosn't recall/store tracks as nice as some of the other units but it has tons of goodies and a great large touch screen. Works great with gloves on. It is designed specifically for motorcycles but I have found it just as good for a sled.

They are pricey though. You can even get a "550" model with satellite radio and bluetooth options. Expect to pay 500.00+ for that one.

Here is a pic of mine on my machine last year.

How did the zumo work with low temps? (below zero) I am considering this one myself. I now use a 60csx which works great, its just that the screen is a little small.

No problems at all with screen freezing all the way down to -25F.

You have to discipline yourself with this unit though. The buttons and touch screen can be used with gloves on and you can easily change things while moving with one hand off the bar.

Did you compare the NUVI vs ZUMO?

Just trying to justify the cost difference and benifit

Did you compare the NUVI vs ZUMO?

Just trying to justify the cost difference and benifit

No I didnt even consider the Nuvi. I wanted the most rugged and durable unit they make. It's like anything else.....you get what you pay for. I'm sure a Nuvi would be great if you were to only use it in a vehicle.

I have been using a garmin 276c for two years and I like it a lot.

Entire agreed. I've been using a 276c since 04-05 season, and this year I am running a 478 with a XM receiver (for music and weather maps, of course!)

http://www.nac.net/photos/IMG_0034.JPG

and just to get everyone in the mood:

http://www.nac.net/photos/IMG_0241.JPG

http://www.nac.net/photos/IMG_1268.JPG

If you need advice on mapping, let me know.

Do you guys have any trouble with the GPS that is run off the cigarette lighter or that is hardwired to the sled? Does the alternator on the sled produce enough power to run the unit all day long if the sled is not equipped with a battery for electric start? I am in the market for a GPS and am considering the Nuvi 500 or Zumo 550. Does anyone have any experience with each of these units? I have a 500ss for a sled.

Thanks,

Karl

Have run my Garmin GPSMap60CS for 3 years on my accssy outlet for all day riding. When I turned the sled off the GPS would use its batteries. I could go a whole week on 2 AAAs that way. Have had some backlighting issues, not to mention 3 weeks underwater on my handlebars. It works now just as it did until it went under. Most Nuvis don't record track logs - I think. Its awesome to have ALL of the trails in your GPS while you're riding.

I've always hard-wired mine to the battery on the sled. That way you can leave the backlight on full-strength [for the heat] and not worry about internal batteries. It's too bad manufacturers don't give you the option to do this, so I do it myself [with a fuse]. [As a bonus, you can plug in the satellite phone and talk without the noise from the sled running]. Either way, I don't think power from the battery or alternator is an issue. A GPS probably takes 50 times less power than a heated shield.

No I didnt even consider the Nuvi. I wanted the most rugged and durable unit they make. It's like anything else.....you get what you pay for. I'm sure a Nuvi would be great if you were to only use it in a vehicle.

the nuvi 500 is made for motorcycles and is waterproof like the Zumo

Do you guys have any trouble with the GPS that is run off the cigarette lighter or that is hardwired to the sled? Does the alternator on the sled produce enough power to run the unit all day long if the sled is not equipped with a battery for electric start? I am in the market for a GPS and am considering the Nuvi 500 or Zumo 550. Does anyone have any experience with each of these units? I have a 500ss for a sled.

Thanks,

Karl

Hi Karl,

I have run mine of the alternator without electric start for the past 4 years. Mine is a Gamin GPSV. I just wired a 12V socket to an existing accessory plug under the cowl and used the Garmin cigarette adapter. Works great. When the engine is off it switched to battery power. It also gives me a place to plug in my cell phone charger if I needed it.

The Rev accessory plugs are regulated DC power (about 13V running) so you should have no problem using any of the cigarette lighters. Be careful if you bypass the cigarette adapter as some reduce the voltage going to the unit.

I would buy the Garmin GPS276c if it was just for use on the sled. Very durable. Great on a boat also. It's OK in the car....

Can the zumo or Nuvi use the quebec maps?

• 2 weeks later...
Entire agreed. I've been using a 276c since 04-05 season, and this year I am running a 478 with a XM receiver (for music and weather maps, of course!)

http://www.nac.net/photos/IMG_0034.JPG

and just to get everyone in the mood:

http://www.nac.net/photos/IMG_0241.JPG

http://www.nac.net/photos/IMG_1268.JPG

If you need advice on mapping, let me know.

Thanks, and great photo's too.

Bob

I just purchased a Garmin 76CSx. Now I can be one of the techy guys. LOL I got Andyman and Mubs to get it loaded up and a little training for me today. They loaded all the PQ and New Brunswick trails on it. I am looking forward to using it this winter. I know on many, many occasions I have pulled up to a poorly marked intersections and guessed which way to go (usually the wrong guess).

Now all I need is a sled to mount it one, should have that solved this week.

I just purchased a Garmin 76CSx. Now I can be one of the techy guys. LOL I got Andyman and Mubs to get it loaded up and a little training for me today. They loaded all the PQ and New Brunswick trails on it. I am looking forward to using it this winter. I know on many, many occasions I have pulled up to a poorly marked intersections and guessed which way to go (usually the wrong guess).

Now all I need is a sled to mount it one, should have that solved this week.

Where did you get the NB maps?

Power supply:

Can you run any of these units off of a heated visor RCA jack, or do you need the 12volt jack (if not hard wiring)?

Dozer

I buy the Garmin power cable, and wire into the same wiring harness that feeds the helmet shield heater.

Power supply:

Can you run any of these units off of a heated visor RCA jack, or do you need the 12volt jack (if not hard wiring)?

Dozer

I am real sure you need the 12v jack (for Garmin units). The 12v gets reduced to 5v in the male end of the cord.