Border Crossing Pool

iceman

16 hours ago, scorpionbowl said:

For sure there’s no spot for typical Quebec riders in the states and it’s not an easy transition to make if u need to. I’m fortunate that I have a home and off grid camp in Vermont and I’m perfectly happy acting like the people we see in la tuque and monts valin who load up there sleds with all the supplies they need for the weekend.

its very similar to what groomer posts about his camp. You load up all the food, beverage and supplies u need. Once u ride into camp it’s probably 10 degrees inside, so u light the wood stove and start to unpack and settle in. Before u know it, it’s 80 inside and dinner is ready, as are the drinks. After an early breakfast, u get in a good ride before the crowd comes out. Later in the day, you ride to all the other local camps and socialize. It’s something I’ve always enjoyed and look forward to doing, even more so this year...

Looks like I will be doing the same thing. Head to Island Pond, park the truck, load the tote sled and head ten miles up Lewis pond road to the Poker Palace Camp. the person that owns the camp is very kind in letting us ride out of his camp. we do the same thing, get the ride in early, chill for a while, and decided where we are going to visit. If I can't cross the border it's the best place to ride in Vermont.

• 2 weeks later...

I turned on the truck radio and only caught part of the story such that I may have got it wrong, BUT, sounds like Maine's two US Senators are trying to get the US/Canada border open such that people from states and provinces with low Covid-19 rates would be able to cross back and forth.  

There may be a glimmer of hope.  I plan to send a message to Senator Angus King in support of this.

mike

48 minutes ago, mikerider said:

I turned on the truck radio and only caught part of the story such that I may have got it wrong, BUT, sounds like Maine's two US Senators are trying to get the US/Canada border open such that people from states and provinces with low Covid-19 rates would be able to cross back and forth.  

There may be a glimmer of hope.  I plan to send a message to Senator Angus King in support of this.

mike

Covid numbers have really taken a turn for the worst in the past week in both Quebec and Ontario. New restrictions are being implemented again the past couple days on a regional basis in Quebec. Montreal, Quebec City and the Chaudiere Applaches are the areas having the problems.

Starting to wonder if we will be able to travel to Quebec from Ontario this winter the way things are going.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/world/canada/coronavirus-quebec-ontario-lockdowns.amp.htmlB362A1B9-8A97-4F60-94C1-0EB1EDF94A58.thumb.png.691835ba11bb69d1082c1b0276d77a51.png 

This was posted today on FB from 

LeCabanon

At this point I would be happy to just get into New Brunswick this winter.

Sometimes I travel through New Brunswick to get to Riviere du Loup. I see miles and miles of beautifully groomed trails in NB and no sleds on them.

mike

Correspondence from the FCMQ

PRESS RELEASE

News from your federation : The Fédération des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec welcomes the 2020-2021 season with enthusiasm

Terrebonne, October 1st, 2020 - The Fédération des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec (FCMQ) is proud to announce the beginning of its 100% online trail permit sale for a second consecutive year. The goal of this procedure is still to lighten the club volunteers work load and to make the purchase of trail permits faster and more convenient for members. Through this system, volunteers can thus devote the maximum of their time to trail maintenance, a colossal task for volunteers. In addition, online purchases allow snowmobilers to purchase their trail permit seven (7) days a week, 24 hours a day without having to leave home. Snowmobilers can therefore immediately acquire their trail permit with a $1,000,000 civil liability insurance from Intact Insurance, the official insurer of the FCMQ*.

The current health crisis has forced the FCMQ board of directors to overlook its operations in order to face these unprecedented times. Several establishments and in-trail procedures managed by club volunteers will be overlooked in order to respect Public Health guidelines. Information provided by the government of Quebec, stipulates that we will not be faced with a second COVID-19 related provincial closure, leading the board of directors to see the upcoming season with much enthusiasm, placing aside any potential plan. In the event of regional closures, please be assured that snowmobile member contributions will be used for trail network improvement and maintenance during this time.

A new feature has been implemented this year!

In order to satisfy our customers, we wish to provide a certain latitude when purchasing a daily trail permit. As you know, unforeseen events can compromise your riding date.

The FCMQ has revised its procedures concerning the sale of your daily trail permit.
Therefore, you have up to 72 hours prior to your riding date to make a change. Details at fcmq.qc.ca

Contest - Your best winter purchase

The FCMQ has set up a contest to promote the annual trail permit and to thank the snowmobilers who make their purchases during the pre-sale period from October 15 to November 15, 2020. The participants must go to the Fédération des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec website (www.fcmq.qc.ca) and purchase an annual trail permit or an antique annual trail permit in order to be automatically entered in the contest. Participants have a chance to win one of four (4) prepaid VISA cards, valued at $1000.00 CDN each. Details at fcmq.qc.ca

The FCMQ interactive trail map

The 2020-2021 interactive trail map is online. We invite you to consult this user-friendly map, and to test the distance calculation tool.

Happy browsing!

The interactive trail map is well supported by Chrome and Edge web browsers. It is always recommended to use the latest versions. Internet Explorer is no longer supported.

Please note, for this season, there will be no printing of the trail map, nor of the services guide. We recommend you consult the web version of the trail map or you may also purchase our iMotoneige application to obtain all of the required information needed for planning your trips.

Thank you for understanding this temporary service interruption.

Online Customer Service

In constant evolution, the FCMQ's website now has a new Online support section to improve the Frequently Asked Questions, also making your research much easier. All of the information needed at your fingertips.

This section will allow you to target specific subjects’ categories, thus facilitating your research. If you don't find the information you are looking for, you may also communicate directly with the FCMQ's customer service department via an interactive form system. Simple, fast and efficient!

About the FCMQ

The Fédération des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec, a sectorial tourism association, is a not-for-profit organisation that has been serving its members for more than 45 years. It is dedicated to the development and promotion of safe snowmobiling throughout Quebec. The FCMQ defends the interests of its 198 member clubs and their 100,000 individual members. More than 4,500 volunteers contribute in excess of 800,000 hours annually towards the maintenance of the provincial snowmobile trail network.

*Some conditions apply, details to FCMQ.QC.CA

-30-

Media relations - Fédération des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec (FCMQ)

medias@fcmq.qc.ca 514 252-3076 ou 514 268-2649

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire

2 hours ago, mikerider said:

At this point I would be happy to just get into New Brunswick this winter.

Sometimes I travel through New Brunswick to get to Riviere du Loup. I see miles and miles of beautifully groomed trails in NB and no sleds on them.

mike

More likely to get to Quebec.  Canadians from provinces that are not part of the maritimes (NB, NS, PEI or NFLD) can't get into New Brunswick without a 14 day quarantine.  They will be the last province to open up to other countries.

2 hours ago, Signfan said:

More likely to get to Quebec.  Canadians from provinces that are not part of the maritimes (NB, NS, PEI or NFLD) can't get into New Brunswick without a 14 day quarantine.  They will be the last province to open up to other countries.

Unless New Brunswick accepts a certified negative Covid test result before entering.

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

Unless New Brunswick accepts a certified negative Covid test result before entering.

Yeah like I said it'll happen in Quebec ahead of New Brunswick for sure.  They've had 200 cases in New Brunswick total throughout the entire pandemic.  Next to nothing and that's largely due to closing there borders (not just to the US, but also to most of Canada) and a lockdown in the spring that stopped community spread.

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/08/13/news/neighbors-maine-and-new-brunswick-have-had-very-different-covid-19-stories/

If the border re-opens it will be into Ontario or Quebec long ahead of the maritimes regardless of what a test result states.

In a few days the US/Canada border will open for 'compassion' crossings. This includes visiting family members and couples who have been in a serious relationship for at least a year.

I for one will be visiting my 'love child' this winter. 

3 hours ago, mikerider said:

I for one will be visiting my 'love child' this winter. 

You want me to call you daddy? 

#Who’sYourDaddy?

Check this out for the stupidest thing you've ever heard.  Someone at CBSA should be fired over this.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/border-canada-us-covid-19-1.5759947

I completely understand the border closure and don't disagree with it.  US also has the right to set their own rules and Canadians should follow them.  CBSA imposing a 14 day quarantine on someone who was denied entry and had no contact with US residents is ridiculous though.

She was told that the moment she crossed the Canadian checkpoint, she had entered American territory, even if she was denied entry to the United States, checkpoint, she had entered American territory, even if she was denied entry to the United States,

once she arrived in the neutral zone she technically left Canada. The CBSA people are just following the nonsense rules being imposed on all of us. 

welcome to 2020 stay tuned for 2021 the show goes on.

6 minutes ago, iceman said:

She was told that the moment she crossed the Canadian checkpoint, she had entered American territory, even if she was denied entry to the United States, checkpoint, she had entered American territory, even if she was denied entry to the United States,

once she arrived in the neutral zone she technically left Canada. The CBSA people are just following the nonsense rules being imposed on all of us. 

welcome to 2020 stay tuned for 2021 the show goes on.

I can hear the carnival music already !

1 hour ago, Signfan said:

Check this out for the stupidest thing you've ever heard.  Someone at CBSA should be fired over this.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/border-canada-us-covid-19-1.5759947

I completely understand the border closure and don't disagree with it.  US also has the right to set their own rules and Canadians should follow them.  CBSA imposing a 14 day quarantine on someone who was denied entry and had no contact with US residents is ridiculous though.

I guess your daughter giving birth is no longer a reason of compassion under somebody's interpretation , bad judgement on some ones part. Maybe she needs some official paper work to be able to comply with the rules, but it does seem a little over the top. You would think or hope if it was any where near legitimate the issue would be quickly resolved. I am sure this would be heart breaking for any mother/daughter!!

12 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

I guess your daughter giving birth is no longer a reason of compassion under somebody's interpretation , bad judgement on some ones part. Maybe she needs some official paper work to be able to comply with the rules, but it does seem a little over the top. You would think or hope if it was any where near legitimate the issue would be quickly resolved. I am sure this would be heart breaking for any mother/daughter!!

The USA does not have the land border open for “compassionate” crossings. It is the Canadian Government that opened the border into Canada for “compassionate” crossings. 

However, I guess she can fly to the USA just cannot drive. According to the article. 

Seems perfectly logical just like most of these Covid Rules. Drive in not ok, fly in is good to go. 14 day quarantine on return. 

Read it.

Earlier this month, Canada broadened its eligibility criteria for people coming to the country from abroad on compassionate grounds earlier this month. 

The changes governing family reunification include exceptions for certain extended family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents including couples who have been dating for at least a year, including their children, grandchildren, siblings and grandparents. 

"This allows close family members to enter Canada, but they are not exempt from quarantine," said immigration lawyer Krishna Gagné. 

The rule does not apply to people entering the U.S. 

Despite border closure, flights allowed to U.S.

Mersy said she was shocked to hear from U.S. border agents that she could go see her daughter and new granddaughter in New York if she took a plane there. 

"If I had known what to expect, I would never have tried to cross the land border, I would have taken a plane," she said. 

While trips via the U.S. land border are closed to non-essential traffic, Canadians can still fly to the United States for leisure travel. 

By contrast, Canada prohibits Americans from entering by any mode of transportation, unless they obtain a special exemption, such as those for family members.

"If that makes sense, I'm not sure," said Gagné, "but when she comes back for Canada, she will have to quarantine for 14 days."

Amazing, cannot drive but you can fly, seems much safer to be alone or in a much smaller group in your car rather than having to go into an airport and be seated with 150 other passengers in close quarters for hours , then negotiate another airport. Just seems like common sense to me. Believing that we all live in 2 free countries some of these rules seem like people are being punished , but have broken no law. It is time to standardize the rules on both sides and inject a little common sense into it at the same time.We are going to be in this another year ,but I think we can do better than this.