RDL 2021: Plan B

mikerider

• 5 weeks later...

Let us hope so, Mark.  Right now Quebec has had over 50,000 cases and  almost 5,000 deaths.  They have over half all of Canada's cases.

I think it is time you and I go into business and reserve all the hotel rooms in Aroostook for next winter and sub let them.

8 hours ago, mikerider said:

Let us hope so, Mark.  Right now Quebec has had over 50,000 cases and  almost 5,000 deaths.  They have over half all of Canada's cases.

I think it is time you and I go into business and reserve all the hotel rooms in Aroostook for next winter and sub let them.

AroostookRider.com .......just doesn't have the same ring to it! LOL

Let's hope we are all riding our favorite Quebec trails next winter and having drinks with fellow riders in the bar at night.

8 hours ago, mikerider said:

28 minutes ago, smclelan said:

Let's hope we are all riding our favorite Quebec trails next winter and having drinks with fellow riders in the bar at night.

But just in case Mike, put me down for one Room 2 Beds, I'll get you dates!!

LOL

GutZ

1 hour ago, MrGutz said:

But just in case Mike, put me down for one Room 2 Beds, I'll get you dates!!

LOL

GutZ

Card, check or cash?   

Doo it with one bed so I can sublet the other bed and save you some money!   Press '1' now.

16 hours ago, smclelan said:

Amen brother.Just want to be done w/this yr.

I want to give an update on Maine and how it may affect sledding in the state this winter, especially should the Canada border stay closed.

Maine is starting to slowly open up. Except for three counties, (not good areas to ride), the other thirteen counties have opened their hotels and restaurants including inside dining. Social distancing must be observed as to the layout of tables inside restaurants.

Maine has a fourteen day quarantine for out of state tourists. However, New Hampshire and Vermont residents are now exempt due to the low number of cases in those two states. Maine will also allow anyone from ANY state to skip the fourteen day quarantine  if the out of stater gets a Covid test from their home state before entering Maine.  They must be in Maine within seventy two hours after having the test. When you arrive at a hotel in Maine, and in order to get a room, you will have to sign a waiver that says you took a test in the past seventy two hours and the test came out negative. At the moment you do not have to show paperwork showing your test results, but that is subject to change.

So Maine is still looking good as an alternative to Canada should the border not open.

About four weeks ago I sent an e-mail to our governor suggesting she allow people from states with low Covid outbreaks to enter Maine as tourists. Maybe she listened. After all, she is a fellow kayaker and fly fisherman.

mike

5 hours ago, mikerider said:

I want to give an update on Maine and how it may affect sledding in the state this winter, especially should the Canada border stay closed.

Maine is starting to slowly open up. Except for three counties, (not good areas to ride), the other thirteen counties have opened their hotels and restaurants including inside dining. Social distancing must be observed as to the layout of tables inside restaurants.

Maine has a fourteen day quarantine for out of state tourists. However, New Hampshire and Vermont residents are now exempt due to the low number of cases in those two states. Maine will also allow anyone from ANY state to skip the fourteen day quarantine  if the out of stater gets a Covid test from their home state before entering Maine.  They must be in Maine within seventy two hours after having the test. When you arrive at a hotel in Maine, and in order to get a room, you will have to sign a waiver that says you took a test in the past seventy two hours and the test came out negative. At the moment you do not have to show paperwork showing your test results, but that is subject to change.

So Maine is still looking good as an alternative to Canada should the border not open.

About four weeks ago I sent an e-mail to our governor suggesting she allow people from states with low Covid outbreaks to enter Maine as tourists. Maybe she listened. After all, she is a fellow kayaker and fly fisherman.

mike

Let's take her Snowmobiling!! Add her to the fold.

GutZ

17 hours ago, mikerider said:

Let's ask our wives if we can take her, then compare notes on how they reacted.

Yep!  And while we're at it let's lock our wives and our dogs in the trunks of our cars for a couple of hours and come back and see who's happy to see us!

(I gotta get a dog)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 2:21 PM, PLAYHARD said:

Yep!  And while we're at it let's lock our wives and our dogs in the trunks of our cars for a couple of hours and come back and see who's happy to see us!

(I gotta get a dog)

I would love to be there when you opened that trunk💣💣💣!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maine has now opened its border to 3 more states where its residents can come to Maine without quarantining and without taking a test first.  NY, Conn, and NJ were jest added. NH and Vt. were added a few weeks ago.  

Personally, I think no way is Canada going to let Americans cross the border this winter with our high rates of Covid. Keep a plan B handy!!!

mike

• 2 weeks later...

I must be missing something, because the Universal in RDL is at the bottom of my list for places to stay in Quebec, terrible experience there!  Prefer the smaller outfitters and try to avoid the big hotels like the Delta and Universal...

We are looking at Maine as well for a Plan B, coming from Ohio the UP of Michigan is closer, but Maine is on the list of places to try.  The North Shore of MN is excellent as well, if they have the snow - but that is a long haul for most!  Hopefully this shit passes and Quebec is a go!

I agree the small outfitters are a nice experience when saddlebagging.  But for staying in one spot for two weeks and doing day trips, I enjoy the amenities of a big hotel and a town with lots of restaurants and bars. I have had nothing but great experiences in RDL.

Be curious to see what the vibe is come early registration deadline time if no crossing date has been set.......

I love the ease of Universel RDL. Just discovered the little village with good food downtown this last season. Its cool too.

And of course I also love the smaller places to stay as long as food/drinks is onsite. Its all good.

8 minutes ago, EastMark said:

Be curious to see what the vibe is come early registration deadline time if no crossing date has been set.......

I can't help but to think it will be a sizeable impact on the bottom line of the FCMQ, clubs, and service providers if the border is not open for next season.  The biggest percentage of members on this site are from south of the border.  The percentage seems to similar to riders I meet at Relais, hotels, and restaurants when riding.  It will be devastating to the sport. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Kevin,     Won't seem right not seeing you this winter. Take care.

Thanks Andy.     Quebec getting over a thousand cases in a day is pretty scary.  Maine gets two or three dozen per day, and more than that we are in a panic.