RDL 2021: Plan B

mikerider

5 hours ago, Pipemaster said:

I’ll second that. Just ordered new version.

Ordered mine also. Got the New England Snowmobile Map  X package. It includes 5 states. Cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the .kmz files on my Iphone and into Guru maps. UPDATE:   Ok got the 5 states that were included on Guru app using Itunes. You can also import using email. Looks like a nice program.

Edited by Snobeeler

3 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

Ordered mine also. Got the New England Snowmobile Map  X package. It includes 5 states. Cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the .kmz files on my Iphone and into Guru maps. UPDATE:   Ok got the 5 states that were included on Guru app using Itunes. You can also import using email. Looks like a nice program except, Only certain states are included that allow for detailed base map of streets. New York is, Maine is not. Need to purchase upgrade to Guru Pro to get Maine streets. It is $50 for lifetime or $2.50 per month. Has anyone just purchased the Maine snowmobile map and do the streets show up in detail?

I just have the Maine snowmobile map on the sd card and I just looked at it and it does show the roads and streets. 

Edited by yorkxf9000
Found out different information

On 10/16/2020 at 7:12 PM, Pipemaster said:

Our first trip up North in Maine. We had the same problem with putting together a bag trip. So far our plan is :

2 nights at 5 Lakes lodge in Millinocket

1 night at Hewes Brook Lodge

1 night at The Inn at Acadia 

1 night at Homestead Lodge

1 night 5 Lakes Lodge

Maybe this will help some. Any input is welcome.

Well done.  Thanks for this post.  Been riding Maine for 2 years now and have only done overnight Greenville to Rangley and have been really missing an authentic Quebec tour with places like 100 Lacs and the Richelieu.  

Edited by actionjack

With some of you planning to come from out of state to Maine, this winter,  I wanted to give an update on traveling here this winter.  The virus is showing a spike in cases in Maine the past couple weeks that are more statewide and community spread verses the past super spreader events we have seen . Maine is still the second lowest state  in the country in cases per 100,000 people.  Maine tests at a higher rate than most, and the positivity rate is several times lower than the country as a whole.

Out of staters coming to Maine need to check Maine's CDC website to see if your state is excempt from the 14 day quarantine or if you need to do so upon entering Maine. The list of excempt states can change at a short notice, so stay updated. As I understand it,  you can bypass the quarantine by getting a Covid test (that shows negative) within 72 hours of entering Maine.  Again, as i understand it, the results of the test will be needed to check into a lodging business.

The good news is that Maine will have rapid testing available at 65 Walgreen stores up and running very soon. Results after the test are about 15 minutes. I would assume Walgreen's will print out a copy of the results for you. 

Also as I understand it, these tests are highly accurate when the test comes back negative. However, not so much if the test comes back positive.  The state recommends should you come back positive on a rapid test, you should take a second test of the non rapid type.

mike

5 hours ago, MrGutz said:

Thanks!

This is going to be a last minute call for sure. Go or No-Go.....

Later

GutZ

I agree, this should make for an interesting season. Wife and I were planning on going out west in February, that's on hold for sure. Wait and see 🙁

I have been staring at coming to Maine also. My concern is I love to do saddlebag riding and of course I don’t want to drive all the way up to Aroostook County to start from Central Pennsylvania. I was looking at starting around the Forks area and taking off from there for seven or eight days, no clue if that’s possible.

The Forks area is a good place to start and saves a lot of driving verses starting further north.  Rangeley would be another good place to start to lessen the drive,  Rangeley putting you into more snow country.

Maine snow seems to have been less dependable in recent years, especially as you get further south of the Maine Quebec border.  Places like the Forks and Houlton (southern Aroostook County) can go either way some years.  

12 hours ago, Pipeman said:

I have been staring at coming to Maine also. My concern is I love to do saddlebag riding and of course I don’t want to drive all the way up to Aroostook County to start from Central Pennsylvania. I was looking at starting around the Forks area and taking off from there for seven or eight days, no clue if that’s possible.

Our group is starting in Millinocket. Planning 2 local rides then 4 day loop up around Madawaska. Looks like around 130-140 miles per day. Looks like we can add miles to each day with some detours. We already made all reservations and some spots were almost full already. PM me if you want details, happy to share.

23 hours ago, mikerider said:

With some of you planning to come from out of state to Maine, this winter,  I wanted to give an update on traveling here this winter.  The virus is showing a spike in cases in Maine the past couple weeks that are more statewide and community spread verses the past super spreader events we have seen . Maine is still the second lowest state  in the country in cases per 100,000 people.  Maine tests at a higher rate than most, and the positivity rate is several times lower than the country as a whole.

Out of staters coming to Maine need to check Maine's CDC website to see if your state is excempt from the 14 day quarantine or if you need to do so upon entering Maine. The list of excempt states can change at a short notice, so stay updated. As I understand it,  you can bypass the quarantine by getting a Covid test (that shows negative) within 72 hours of entering Maine.  Again, as i understand it, the results of the test will be needed to check into a lodging business.

The good news is that Maine will have rapid testing available at 65 Walgreen stores up and running very soon. Results after the test are about 15 minutes. I would assume Walgreen's will print out a copy of the results for you. 

Also as I understand it, these tests are highly accurate when the test comes back negative. However, not so much if the test comes back positive.  The state recommends should you come back positive on a rapid test, you should take a second test of the non rapid type.

mike

Mike, good info there. Thanks 

Current Exemptions

Exempt effective June 12, 2020:

• New Hampshire
  • Vermont

Exempt effective July 3, 2020:

• Connecticut
  • New Jersey
  • New York

Exempt effective September 23, 2020:

• Massachusetts
Edited by Snobeeler

1 hour ago, Pipeman said:

It is a shame, I fear this winter is going to be a shit show....

I’m afraid you are right. I just can’t fathom not riding in Quebec this January February and March. Just out of my realm of reality.  
Let’s head to the UP of Michigan Wes. Keewenaw Peninsula is calling us!

2 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

I’m afraid you are right. I just can’t fathom not riding in Quebec this January February and March. Just out of my realm of reality.  
Let’s head to the UP of Michigan Wes. Keewenaw Peninsula is calling us!

Michigan would not let their own residents go to their summer homes. 🤢

I would watch carefully.

Don't quote me, but I believe any states that go above 2 percent positivity rate in testing.  Maine has stayed around .4 % for quite awhile, and past couple weeks has jumped to .8 %.    (still about ten times lower than the national average).

Vermont and probably NH will be the only two states that will for sure be okay. We may find out this weekend or Monday if it changes.  As I understand it we are supposed to go to the more liberal stage 4 of re opening on Monday, and there is a lot of talk of that being canceled and staying at stage 3.  (keeping smaller crowds in restaurants, indoor gatherings, bars stay closed etc.).

coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel.advisory........41 states now on the quarantine list to enter NY...as of 10/28. Any state with more than 10 positive cases per 100k on a 7 consecutive day rolling total....must quarantine for 14 days and cannot rent a B&B, hotel, etc. Mass is not on the list ...YET..... We are leaving in the morning for 6 days of steel head fishing, we called a few moments ago...still OK TO GO, BUT THEY TOLD US....IF YOU GO ON THE LIST WHILE YOU ARE HERE...YOU MUST CHECK OUT AND GO HOME.

50 minutes ago, GT Rider said:

10/30/20 NY 1.58 %

Brooklyn.🤮

I will put my Quebec pass on the sled and call it a year.

That really sucks, stuck in the city and having to do that, out in the country I can ride out my drive way, do not want to do that, it sure is not Canada. I feel your pain Jim, if you cannot sled I hope you can find a way to get away for a few weeks, be well, Bob.

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

So Jim,  IF I am right about the 2% thresh hold, sounds like NYers are good to enter Maine without a test or quarantine.

If it holds and I certainly hope it does!  We will see what February brings.

Thanks Mike.

Just passing this along;        This afternoon  N.Y.,  N.J., and Conn. residents have been taken off Santa's good list for those who want to enter Maine.  The people of these three states must quarantine for two weeks upon entering Maine or show a current negative test result for the virus.  (Most states were already on the naughty list). Upon entering lodging you must give the lodging owner certain info that allows contact tracers to find you should there be an outbreak..

Just remember, as I mentioned earlier, within a few weeks 65 Walgreen stores in Maine will have the rapid testing available, results in 15 minutes.  You can also get tested in your home state as long as it is within 72 hours or sooner when entering Maine and you have the results.. Thus people from banned states can still enter Maine and not quarantine.

It also looks like the stage 4 (more liberal) expanded opening is not taking place as scheduled tomorrow. This would include bars not opening and  not upping indoor gathering numbers. Many bars have been allowed to open by exchanging their bar license for a restaurant license. They must serve a full menu, not just alcohol and pub snacks. Also people at these bar/restaurants must be seated and not mingle around the bar.

I suspect restaurants and bar/restaurants may be difficult to enter while out on the snowmobile circuit, mostly due to the mandatory limited seating. Also many restaurants have closed either for good or while waiting out the pandemic, making demand bigger than the supply. Gas station sandwiches may start to taste good!  Remember, much of Maine's popular snowmobile areas are located in  very small towns.

mike