Comet

scorpionbowl

Anyone in a dark location might get a chance to see a comet over the next week or two. It’s transitioning from the morning sky to evening sky over the next day or so. It’s more convenient to see just after sunset, since before sunrise is extremely early. Right now it’s just over the horizon to the NW, so u need good long distance views in that direction. The good news is that it gets higher in the sky every day, the bad news is that it gets dimmer every day. After sunset it will be at its highest elevation and move below the horizon as it gets darker, but the good news is there is no moonlight at that time.

i took this picture Friday morning around 3:45am. It’s looking northeast, The brightness in the sky is from the sunrise and moonlight even thought it was still dark out. It wasn’t visible to the naked eye due to the light pollution, but now that I’m back home I’m hoping to get better pictures at night, but the weather forecast isn’t that good. Maybe @groomer, @ckf and others can also get a shot...

B4F9D225-155F-4083-A5AD-2DAA0B27BC9D.jpeg

bonjour scorpionbowl !!!

geezzz...thx for the reminder....read something about that last week ...completely forgot !!!

sadly ,starting tonight...must go to bed early ...ahaha

jean-guy

WoOOOOWWW !!!

checked a bit last night ...clear sky ...no luck ...milky way was right over our head

....but at 10 hrs 10 and roughly 11 hrs 45 pm ....saw the space station ...very easy to see coming ....they don t ride in first gear ...and a few satellites

jean-guy

30 minutes ago, scorpionbowl said:

Should be right under and near the Big Dipper...

i think our problem ( friends ) ....we had nt enough horizon ....mountains in the other side of the lake...we were looking in the right direction 

don t laugh at my pic...hahah....25 '' exposure....no tripod...no remote cord...few beers + rouge....just put the camera on the porch .....it was only for fun 

second time of the space station ...west to east ...

btw, can see the handle of the big pan !!!...on the right side...milky way ....from top to bottom 

jean-guy

DSC_6474.JPG

The comet is higher now, but starting to fade. Took a close up shot, and had another shot with a meteor in it. You can tell it’s a meteor and not a satellite, because the color changes as it enters the atmosphere. These are likely the last shots of the comet, but there is a meteor shower coming up.

8314E4AE-F1D3-493D-AF82-CA49DC55C4A4.jpeg99C1E804-8EA5-4E9D-A620-B68EB8F9185F.jpeg