Time to Give Back to Quebec

mikerider

If you are like me, you still have some  leftover Canadian twenty dollar bills floating around in your truck or at home in your desk draw.

We are all very appreciative of the warmth the Quebec people  extend to members of Quebec Riders during the winter.

I am thinking we need to "Adopt a Quebec family"   to show the Quebec Rider family supports our Quebec friends during these trying times. To make it simple, we need to find one family in Quebec and have our members forward a Canadian twenty dollar bill, or even a few twenty's,   

First we need to find a family who has fallen upon tough times due to the Covid crisis. Perhaps one of our Quebec members can help out finding a family in need. Hotels supposedly have laid off over 50% of their workforce and may know of one of their employees who is in  desperate need of a little economic help. We don't want to post the recipient's name,  so we need a middleman in Quebec to mail our donation to, and the middleman can deliver the envelopes to the recipient.  This could be a QR Quebec member, a hotel executive etc.   Perhaps each of us could also enclose a small note with the twenty, sign it, and under the signature write 'QuebecRider.com ( with permission of QR owner).  

I think this would be a small but very meaningful gesture on our part and the part of this web site we all so enjoy. We cannot solve all the world's problems, but just maybe one family in need could have their spirits lifted.

If there is interest, I can give more details how I would like this to work.   

Thanks to all for reading this.

mike

Great idea Mike. I have an idea that might be of interest. How about donate to our website that we all enjoy so much? We have a lot of QR Advertiser's whether motels or parts suppliers we could make a fund to pay their advertising cost next winter. It is a two fold win, it shows our support for the businesses that supported the website last year and could see a losses in revenues this up coming season.  Plus it helps cover the costs of running QuebecRider. 

That said it is a good time to think about becoming a Contributing Member if you currently not one.

Id swing a $50 for that Mike. Thanks for thinking of others up there. They are good to us. 

I will trust and follow your lead. Just let me know how.

Id love for it to be someone related to a clubhouse or restaurant or business tied to the snowmobile industry...but whatever works. 

Only thing better than getting is giving to someone who needs it.

The small business owners like mentioned above. Our advertisers need our support  now more than ever. While much was and is being done to aid persons and families during this Covid shin dig, Not much was handed, if anything to these small business owners. 

I personally made a point to stop and visit with Reggie at Drakkar each chance I got during the lockdown and just as recently as last Saturday. Was some dark days for our friend there, all alone for months with just him and Pascal there as Nancy stayed at home as she works on the frontline and did not want to chance bringing Covid to Reggie or Pascal. Only a few weeks ago did he begin to receive some clients and finally see some much needed income. Albeit nothing like a normal year. 

Despite this tough start to the summer season (spring was cancelled) he is hanging tough. He has a plan in the works that will add additional rooms to the Auberge as well as a Nordic Spa. With indoor Hot Tub and Sauna, plunge pool to cool off and indoor pool and Massage room. He is in the final stages of seeking aid from the Government for his expansion. But has received zero aid financially as of yet.

Support our own. The ones there for us when we need them. 

I like all the ideas and they all have merit. I am not a true leader and we need a leader to bring about a decision. 

We are too small a group to make a big difference. That is my feeling.   Advertising on QR is a great idea but won't save a business.  And the few hundred we raise will not save a business.

But a few hundred to one family can make a huge difference. Surely there is a family with kids where a parent has been laid off. Or where a parent can't work due to a recent illness. Our money won;t solve the worlds problems, but maybe for one day gives a family hope.  For one day tell a family there are people thinking of them.  

We can make it simple,  send a twenty,  make it anonymous, mark it as from a member of QuebecRider.com.   We just need a name and address of that someone who needs help and will accept help.  No mask required, no social distancing. Just put a twenty in an envelope and mail it.  Can't get any easier.

mike

Another day and I think Iceman and Steven make great points.

Iceman, I like the idea of giving to one business that caters to snowmobiles. Do you want to make it so we donate to Dakkar?

We just need an address, and a name on the envelope so the correct person opens it.

ex.               Attention Reggie

Dakkar Hotel

Address

I just want QuebecRider.com to get the credit. If everyone could just write a note this gift is coming from QR members or at least write Quebecrider.com on the envelope. Each of us just needs to take the time to drop a twenty or two and mail it out.

Sound like a plan?

mike

That’s not my call to make its for the people sending the love to decide.

I do know it would touch Reggie, Nancy and Pascal deeply to see the support from the Quebecrider family to theirs. 

Reggie would be the only one to open mail. Pascal and Reggie do it all at Drakkar. 

Auberge Drakkar 

4500 Boulevard de Shawinigan-Sud,

Shawinigan-Sud, Quebec

G9N 6T5

I have been following this post with interest. What a great thought and gesture. For what it is worth here is my opinion. Tracking down individuals who are in financial dire straits due to covid could be tough and judging by the way the Canadian government has handled this with on going payments to just about everybody, I kind of think small establishments that cater to you guys on your trips up here are the way to payback your appreciation. Businesses are hurting and depending on the type and their past income government relief not only varies but some do not qualify. Not an easy thing to decide who or what establishments are in the most need, but maybe a first step is understanding what the government up here has been doing to help in establishing a direction for you to help. Here is a link to most of the programs that the Canadian government has been offering in terms of aid. https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html

Edited by Cnc

Not to change the topic but would this also work for clubs. could all the clubs be listed and give people a option  of sending a little donation

to several clubs instead of buying a pass and only one club get the benefit.  Only a thought. 

All are good ideas. I like the thought there is more power when we all go in the same direction.  It would be more impressive if one person or business heard from many QR members, and perhaps touch the heart of that person rather than money spread out all over the place, resulting in very little money going to one place. 

While for decades I have bought trail passes in Quebec, not ever once have I received so much as a news letter or anything in a way of 'welcome to the club'  note.  (but I do appreciate what they do and have sent them a couple notes thanking them for a great job.

All are welcome to send their twenty (or twenties) where they think it will make the recipient happy to have supporters from away. It is a great gesture.

I will be sending mine to Reggie at Drakkar with a thank you note for catering to all of us snowmobilers from far away. I hope others consider doing the same, and if not, at least give money to someone or something to help the Quebec people who are so warm and nice to all of us who love their province. Remember to write "QuebecRider.com" on the envelope or note.

(If I recall correctly, mailing from the U.S. takes two postage stamps).

mike

Should we decide to go with the idea of paying the Advertisers dues for this upcoming winter.  The administration would send a letter to each of them telling the how the membership is there to support in these tough times.  

1 hour ago, smclelan said:

Should we decide to go with the idea of paying the Advertisers dues for this upcoming winter.  The administration would send a letter to each of them telling the how the membership is there to support in these tough times.  

I think this is a really great idea, they are already signed up so not like it is a lot of work, and it shows a lot of good will, other places not currently on board may change their mind after all this is over, cannot hurt.

Just thinking out loud... 

We could purchase Gift Certificates to our Advertisers, Other Relays, Clubs,General Supporters, Etc..

Then raffle them out for "Border Opening Date" , First Pass of the groomer at " Ice's Place", Etc... to QR members

Or if the border opens, we could do a scavenger\poker run, visit XYZ first, and stay there\eat there\etc... you win!!

Dont know, just throwing it out there.

GutZ

• 1 month later...

Big thank you to the members here, (you know who you are) that took the time and went beyond to show support and solidarity for Auberge Drakkar. Reggie was nearly in tears as I explained to him what was discussed here and why he received what he did. To say he was overwhelmed would be an understatement. The entire crew from Drakkar is very thankful and appreciated it very much. Again thank you on behalf of Reggie, Nancy and Pascal. They were deeply touched by the kindness shown by you.

I tip my cap to these members, very well done. A fine representation of what we are about here. Surely. 

Merci Beaucoup 

Thank you Iceman for up dating this and writing this up as only you can do.

It is not too late to give back to our friends and businesses in Quebec.  Auberge Drakker's address is in one of the earlier posts.  I suggest a small note, maybe thanking Reggie for making the snowmobile experience in Quebec even better or thanking him for being so welcoming to those of us south of the border. Remember to put on at least two stamps.

Thanks,

mike

14 hours ago, iceman said:

Big thank you to the members here, (you know who you are) that took the time and went beyond to show support and solidarity for Auberge Drakkar. Reggie was nearly in tears as I explained to him what was discussed here and why he received what he did. To say he was overwhelmed would be an understatement. The entire crew from Drakkar is very thankful and appreciated it very much. Again thank you on behalf of Reggie, Nancy and Pascal. They were deeply touched by the kindness shown by you.

I tip my cap to these members, very well done. A fine representation of what we are about here. Surely. 

Merci Beaucoup 

Outstanding!  QR-Pride!  With so many in need, and so many deserving, there's nobody better to receive this love! Well done making a difference!...

IMG_20190815_181124.thumb.jpg.0dc95740076e992ca976fb61aba995b5.jpg

IMG_20200308_083629.thumb.jpg.38049e4aac18f90765423ed7e740e71f.jpg

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, poltodoo said:

Got an email from FCMQ today

They mentioned the hurt to the clubs from covid and its effects for the future of the trails

I'm going to get my pass and membership to la college Verte as usual and hope for the best!!!

Great idea. Just bought my permit from our favorite photographer's club.

Who knows maybe I'll get to use it.

There was a time in Ontario when the remote club in Dubreuilville was in danger of loosing club status as they would not get 50 permits purchased through their club. A number of us who didn't ride there bought there and they got their 50. (permit money is now distributed differently)

This came to mind with the pandemic this year, so I emailed the FCMQ to see if any remote clubs were, as we say "sucking the hind tit". They recommended a certain club on the north shore. I ride all over the place with no particular club preference, so when I bought my trail pass, I put their number down on the form. I will be getting another pass before December 1st, so will be engaging with the same strategy. 

Might be something to consider if you are purchasing a couple of passes and traditionally buy from some of the more popular clubs in Launardierre, Chaudierre Apallache, etc. where populations are larger and many people purchase through those clubs.

BTW - permit purchase was very smooth this year and insurance rebate arrived promptly as well. 

bonjour poltodoo and gt rider !!!

many thx for the support again....very appreciated...hope to see you again .......................soon !!!

yesterday has been the coldest morning....-13c ...

few pics to say merci !!!

jean-guy

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0105.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0135.JPG