Looking to do a bag trip this winter

artcat900

Doesn't really matter to us how long it takes usually we are good for 250=300 miles a day or so.

I'm trying to pick a route now with places to stay along with CONTACT INFORMATION, and the approx cost of the lodging. (we had a bad experience last year at one place, almost $400.00 dollars for 3 people in one room for one night. This particular establishment was a very plane Jane type of place in a fairly remote area so I guess they figured they had us. Now I'm checking costs first as I feel that one was kinda stiff in comparison to most places we usually stay at which usually run less half that amount)

I'm open to suggestions for a route and a good launch point. We would probably prefer starting out most any place between say Montreal and Quebec but would tend to favor closer to the Montreal area. We would like to probably cover the Lac St. Jean area and more than likely get up to the Chibougimu sp? area and loop around to complete the tour.

We usually prefer the more remote areas as night life is not a concern for us but high traffic on the trails is.

I'm new to bag trips, only have done 1 so far for one night . Most of my knowledge so far consists of the area centered around the St. Michel area extending out to about a 75 to 100 mile radius from there.

We have decided to explore new areas this coming season, but trying to avoid getting raked over the coals again.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Tom

Doesn't really matter to us how long it takes usually we are good for 250=300 miles a day or so.

I'm trying to pick a route now with places to stay along with CONTACT INFORMATION, and the approx cost of the lodging. (we had a bad experience last year at one place, almost $400.00 dollars for 3 people in one room for one night. This particular establishment was a very plane Jane type of place in a fairly remote area so I guess they figured they had us. Now I'm checking costs first as I feel that one was kinda stiff in comparison to most places we usually stay at which usually run less half that amount)

I'm open to suggestions for a route and a good launch point. We would probably prefer starting out most any place between say Montreal and Quebec but would tend to favor closer to the Montreal area. We would like to probably cover the Lac St. Jean area and more than likely get up to the Chibougimu sp? area and loop around to complete the tour.

We usually prefer the more remote areas as night life is not a concern for us but high traffic on the trails is.

I'm new to bag trips, only have done 1 so far for one night . Most of my knowledge so far consists of the area centered around the St. Michel area extending out to about a 75 to 100 mile radius from there.

We have decided to explore new areas this coming season, but trying to avoid getting raked over the coals again.

Tom

Get a GPS and get the GPSQuebec trail package, but wait until later in the fall when the software is updated. You can plan your routes of the trip right on your computer. You can experiment with different routes and the software will give you the mileage. But be prepared to change them while you're in the bush if snow doesn't cooperate. St Michel to Lac St Jean and back is a great trip. Last year we started from Shawinigan and planned to start by taking 3 to La Malbaie then 93 over to Alma then 83 to La Tuque then to St Michel for THURSDAY then back to Shawinigan. 3 was bad somewhere past Port Neuf so we turned back to St Raymond and went up 23 to Alma. We heard getting to La Tuque was gonna be bad so we stayed in Alma another day then rode back down 23 to Pont Rouge and then Shawinigan. Our plans changed but it was still a great trip and having ALL of the trails in my hand on the GPS saved us a few times. We made unscheduled stops in St Ray and Pont Rouge having no good alternatives and we were not gouged on room rates. If you have to make an alternate plan decide as early as possible in the day and try to call around for rooms to have a destination. Even places that don't have space may help you find the closest room, thats what happened to us.

I can suggest a great trip that covers several areas.

Start in Jackman ME.

Jackman-Mt Carmel (Bas st laurent area) Oasis de la bretagne B&B. $55 person. Best home cooking and hospitality in PQ.

Mt Carmel-Matane. Stay at Quality inn. Take the ferry across the St Lawrence the next morning. Very interesting boat ride!!!

Matane to Les Escoumins Econo lodge hotel

Les Escoumins to Saguenay Holiday inn of course.

Spend 3 days here riding Mt Valin.

Saguenay - St Foy (Quebec City) Quebec inn??

St Foy back to JAckman.

It's an 8 day ride and about 1800 miles. It gives you a real nice mix of every thing....

Where are you coming from?

Tom

First of all make shure your truck and trailer are in a safe compound well locked. and you have break down pick up service. I also do trip planning if needed. Bernard 819 536 2664.

Get a GPS and get the GPSQuebec trail package, but wait until later in the fall when the software is updated. You can plan your routes of the trip right on your computer. You can experiment with different routes and the software will give you the mileage.

Where doo you get the GPSQuebec trail package? is it on a MMC or SD ?

I had just purchased a GPS for this season, it came with all the US road and topo maps, they offer the Canada maps, but I don't think they have trails on them? any info on this would be great! :good:

Tom

Check out this site http://scorpion-bowl.com/ (When site opens, click on the little tab SLED, he has a lot of trips mapped out, places to stay with phone numbers, gas , food ect.

He is always dooing big saddle bag trips, some good info on this site.

I hope it helps you out.

Tom

Tom.......there are so many options for saddle bag trips.What I would suggest you is to go on http://www.bonjourquebec.com/

If you are from the US.... click on United States,

then.....Tourist regions....you will see a green map of Québec.From there you can browse all regions across the Province...For any regions,scroll down until you see ''Useful links''.You can order snowmobile Maps and Brochure ONLINE.......Very neat.

P.S. it's too early yet to order them.

Where doo you get the GPSQuebec trail package? is it on a MMC or SD ?

I had just purchased a GPS for this season, it came with all the US road and topo maps, they offer the Canada maps, but I don't think they have trails on them? any info on this would be great! :good:

The site is here http://www.fcmq.qc.ca/english/pages.asp?id=133 . You can't download the trails into your gps. You get to view the maps online or download the entire trail system into Google Earth. Maybe with the new gps's, you can convert google earth format into trails/tracks to load into your gps. Mine doesn't have the memory, so I just marked the trail intersections and loaded them [as waypoints] into my gps. That way when you get to an unmarked intersection, with the gps and a map you'll know where you are. You can get the waypoints off of my site.

http://www.gpsquebec.ca/produits/detail.ph...&Lang=en_ca

Go there and you can buy a package that includes ALL trails in QC and have them loaded in your GPS and route them in Mapsource AND your handheld receiver. Best $80 spent every year. They email you a link to download the file and a security code. I won't go to QC without it.

http://www.gpsquebec.ca/produits/detail.ph...&Lang=en_ca

Go there and you can buy a package that includes ALL trails in QC and have them loaded in your GPS and route them in Mapsource AND your handheld receiver. Best $80 spent every year. They email you a link to download the file and a security code. I won't go to QC without it.

I second that, I do have that software for my garmin and believe me it really works well, got us out of numerous jams especially when intersections were not marked along with all the offshoot trails were you had no idea which way to go due to the lack of sign age. They also show a lot of logging roads that are also traveled by the locals along with nearest gas food lodging etc ( If you have auto routing software installed such as Garmin City Navigator, you also then get the auto routing feature for the sled trails with turn by turn directions ).

I too would not ride without it, actually I keep a spare, I feel it could be a life saver. I talked with the developer a few months back and a new issue will be out I believe in January, however for liability reasons the actual trail map is the exact one you find on the fcmq site listed above even tho I have seen errors in some of the mapping due to trail rerouting.

However even with that draw back it is still a very useful tool that has opened up a lot of new trails for us as well as shortcuts that you don't find on the paper trail map.

I think the price now has gone up some approx. $110 or so but its still well worth the expense.

A 2000 mile saddlebag trip is a major tour. It requires a lot of planning and fore thought. You might put a post up on here asking what people recomend packing in their saddle bags to get some ideas on what you will need to take along. One person can't carry it all so the list could be spread between all of your group.

Here is a possible loup you could make without traveling the same trail more than once. Starting in the Montreal area I would start on the TQ 63 and travel west till you you hit the 309. On the 309 go north then switch to the TQ83. At Senneterre travel the TQ93 right through, you will pass Chibougamau, past Lac Saint Jean to Mt. Valin. Stay on the TQ93 till you meet the TQ3. At this point you can go north to Baie Comeau over to Matane and back on the TQ5 to you place of start or go south on the TQ3 back to place of start. I have stayed at a lot of places along this route but I am not great at remembering names of motels. The place that charged you $400 sounds like the exception rather than the rule.

This is certianly a great place to gather information on saddle bagging in Quebec.

Thanks for all the info, Man !!!! I got my work cut out for me!! :wacko: I just spent 2 hours messing around on google earth and down loading the 3D viewer.

I am not a computer guru at all, so this will take some time. Maybe I will have it ready for the 08 / 09 season.

Check out this site http://scorpion-bowl.com/ (When site opens, click on the little tab SLED, he has a lot of trips mapped out, places to stay with phone numbers, gas , food ect.

He is always dooing big saddle bag trips, some good info on this site.

I hope it helps you out.

Some great stuff there on Sbowl. Lot of the pics look real familiar. Even saw the bridge I lost my saddlebags on a few years ago outside Relais Auberge by Letape. That one came up in a hurry.

Thanks for all the info, Man !!!! I got my work cut out for me!! :wacko: I just spent 2 hours messing around on google earth and down loading the 3D viewer.

I am not a computer guru at all, so this will take some time. Maybe I will have it ready for the 08 / 09 season.

Once you have Garmins Marpsource running its a piece of cake to load the Sentiers package into the receiver. And you can choose to display it or not on the reciever. I leave mine on because it doesn't show until until a certain zoom level.

• 4 months later...

Tom

where was the $400 a nite rip?