I'm always getting beat exchanging $

mxzdude

Hi! I've been trying to figure out the best way to exchange my money for the season. Some years I just went to the bank ( thinking I was getting a good rate) other years I just tried putting as much as I could on credit card, only to have to pay a 3% exchange fee. I just went to the bank (B of A) the rate they just gave me was 4% higher than the rate when I got home and checked my computer. Plus the bank adds another fee to do the exchange. What do you guys do to get the most for your US dollars? :drinks:

A. Use your atm card for cash once in Canada: Good exchange but can only get so much out per day plus ATM fees at both ends.

B. Use your credit card: Good exchange rate but pay a foriegn exchange fee. I think mine is 1%. It has been mentioned that credit card companys should not be charging this.

I use a credit card whenever i can but we exchange cash for cash at the Duty Free as soon as we cross the border. They usually are pretty fair with their rates but they do charge a small fee. I can't blame them though, they are trying to make a living like everyone else. It's convenient for us though.

I use a credit card whenever i can but we exchange cash for cash at the Duty Free as soon as we cross the border. They usually are pretty fair with their rates but they do charge a small fee. I can't blame them though, they are trying to make a living like everyone else. It's convenient for us though.

I use a Capitol One card.

They don't charge a fee for transactions outside the US

Both of these.

After arriving in "which-ever" town, I stop at the local banque or caisse pop. and exchange money. It's easy and no fees..

I have stopped in Drummondville. Get off at the exit for Centre Ville, I believe it's Sortie 173? on 20, go south a few lights and there is a RBC bank on the right, plenty of parking in the back of the bank for truck/trailer. Then get back on 20. Easy. I now go to the bank in Jonquiere as I'm up there for 8-10 weeks so what's a 1/2 day for me.

use a debit card, 1% of rate at the instant money is removed, using a credit card is like money advance and they will charge more, find a atm card that doesnot charge fees, I use TD bank north

Did you find your TD north card ? I thought I saw it for sale on Ebay by some Danseur named Amber .She says she found it in a snow bank but I think she ment a sperm bank .

On the plus side rate today is $1 US is worth $1.24 Canadan. 12/5 it was 1 to 1.29

Free money. AND gas in NJ is $1.55 gal for regular...

We will ride this winter :) :yahoo: