386 and 63 Closure

Signfan

Motoneige : fermeture de sentiers dans la réserve La Vérendrye

2020-10-15 - Le Club de motoneige de Val-d'Or annonce la fermeture de ses sentiers 386 et 63, au sud de Kitcisakik, jusqu'au Pavillon La Vérendrye.

Selon Denis Lefebvre, président de l'Association de motoneige de Val-d'Or, le club a pris cette décision, en raison de la poursuite des travaux forestiers dans ce secteur, jusqu'au 31 mars prochain. Les compagnies forestières ayant subi les impacts de la COVID-19, elles n'auront pas terminé leurs travaux le 1er décembre 2020, comme les années passées.

Le club estime qu'il était impossible, dans ces circonstances, d'assurer la sécurité des motoneigistes et de leurs bénévoles sur les surfaceuses, avec le passage incessant des poids lourds.

Conséquemment, les motoneigistes ne pourront plus circuler sur les sentiers 386 et 63 Sud, du Domaine au lac Joncas, pour la saison 2020-2021.

Si Stéphanie Lamarche, directrice principale, Orientations stratégiques et affaires corporatives chez Tourisme Abitibi-Témiscamingue se désole de la perte de 300 kilomètres de sentiers avec cette fermeture, elle rappelle toutefois que la région compte plusieurs autres accès pour les motoneigistes.

RNC MÉDIA INC.
Station
380 Avenue Murdoch,
Rouyn-Noranda, QC J9X 1G5
Courriel : nouvelles@rncmedia.ca

NOUS ÉCRIRE

Choisissez votre destinataire Ventes Direction Salle des nouvelles Technique Webmestre 
  ENVOYER MON MESSAGE

close.svg

Snowmobile: trail closures in the La Vérendrye reserve

2020-10-15 - The Val-d'Or Snowmobile Club announces the closure of its trails 386 and 63, south of Kitcisakik, to the Pavillon La Vérendrye.

According to Denis Lefebvre, president of the Val-d'Or Snowmobile Association, the club made this decision, due to the continuation of forestry work in this sector, until March 31. As forestry companies have suffered the impacts of COVID-19, they will not have completed their work on December 1, 2020, as in past years.

The club considers that it was impossible, in these circumstances, to ensure the safety of snowmobilers and their volunteers on the groomers, with the incessant passage of heavy weights.

As a result, snowmobilers will no longer be able to use trails 386 and 63 South, from the Domaine to Lac Joncas, for the 2020-2021 season.

If Stéphanie Lamarche, Senior Director, Strategic Orientations and Corporate Affairs at Tourisme Abitibi-Témiscamingue is sorry for the loss of 300 kilometers of trails with this closure, she nevertheless recalls that the region has several other accesses for snowmobilers.

I get it, but this one really sucks.  Will be interesting to see if the lodge stays open.  No decision yet on whether the trails to the south and west will stay open or not (discussion at future ckub meetings).  I believe the Temiscaming club would have to extend grooming further east to the lodge to make this happen.

I’m sure if there still logging they’ll be open as a lot of them stay and eat there. When we stopped there last winter she said she gets up at 3am to prepare breakfast and pack lunch’s for the forestry workers all summer

Edited by Jackstraw

37 minutes ago, ChrisWright said:

Do you suppose these two have already been added to the death count???

Probably double, they put at least 4 more on the count.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What r the odds that the federation can take the $ saved from the 3 closed trails around La Pavillion and that $ put into the 386 south?  Two passes a week on the 386 trail would make it sweet! It is 100 miles one way from Swisha to the Pavllion, which means one pass a week, and usually is only good a few days after grooming. One groomer issue and there you go... mogul city.  This is a sparsely populated area, and doesn't seem to have the grooming love that other parts of QC get to keep the trail top notch.

I bought a pass from that local club ( pingions )  that last two years, and did not touch their trails either year as grooming ended mid-march. Never got a clear answer why, but the brief answers seemed to lean towards volunteer burnout.... which as a 15 yr volunteer club exec I can understand. 

Not likely that the V'al Dor club will buy into that.  Last time I rode this section it was awesome.  Does sound like it's a little hit and miss.  100 miles is a long way in the groomer.  Close to 24 hrs of grooming just to go up and back.  I imagine it will be better this year if the club still grooms once a week.  Being  one way it will cut the traffic levels down I'm sure.  Will have ride ride it with the eye patch.  Hopefully the loggers end early and we get a late season opening on the north end.

19 hours ago, largedaryl said:

What r the odds that the federation can take the $ saved from the 3 closed trails around La Pavillion and that $ put into the 386 south?  Two passes a week on the 386 trail would make it sweet! It is 100 miles one way from Swisha to the Pavllion, which means one pass a week, and usually is only good a few days after grooming. One groomer issue and there you go... mogul city.  This is a sparsely populated area, and doesn't seem to have the grooming love that other parts of QC get to keep the trail top notch.

I bought a pass from that local club ( pingions )  that last two years, and did not touch their trails either year as grooming ended mid-march. Never got a clear answer why, but the brief answers seemed to lean towards volunteer burnout.... which as a 15 yr volunteer club exec I can understand. 

The Federation doesn't save any money per se because it's not the Federation doing the spending.  Under the current model, the Federation's main contribution to club funding is the "Perequetation" where, according to an agreed upon formula, clubs receive additional funding based on the kilometres and hours groomed vs what their level of membership is.  High mileage clubs with low membership numbers receive more while low mileage clubs with many members receive less.  Some clubs never receive a cent owing to their high rates of memberships and low hours spent grooming.  Still, promoting increased membership is always more lucrative than relying on the additional Perequetation assistance.  Besides, that money is better left for remote clubs who don't have the option of easily increasing their membership.

The Federation also administers the "Fond de Neige" which subsidizes grooming early or late in the season.  This is to help out clubs that have extended winters because of their locations. Still, with the snow seeming to hang around later these past few years, our club northeast of Ottawa has been able to avail itself of the Fonds de Neige funds a few times, but it amounts to just a very small portion of our funding.  The main source of revenue is always the actual sale of memberships (aka trail passes).

Thx for the info.  Never heard of the early/late season $, but again, I guess it rests on the club volunteers to request that $ and line up an operator.  I coordinated a groomer for a dozen years... a tough go most years.  I did have a few good years of 7 days a week grooming  all line up, but that came to an end as well. 

I guess it is a wait and see.  I am in Swisha now, and yes, local word is the 386 will b groomed from the south, but finding a few reliable operators sounds like it is an endless challenge.   Anyone looking for a part time winter job? 

Looks like the snow season starts in this area on Sunday/Monday.  Beauty day today,  +12 and no wind until sunset.   Got the last of my camp jobs done today before the snow makes it slippery.  

1 hour ago, Blueblood said:

will volunteering for a groomer operator position get me across the border for the winter?  I'd be interested 🙂

Get the club to write you a letter saying they can't fill the position locally and agree to a 14 day quarantine with a plan on where you'll stay and it probably will.  

13 hours ago, largedaryl said:

Thx for the info.  Never heard of the early/late season $, but again, I guess it rests on the club volunteers to request that $ and line up an operator.  I coordinated a groomer for a dozen years... a tough go most years.  I did have a few good years of 7 days a week grooming  all line up, but that came to an end as well. 

I guess it is a wait and see.  I am in Swisha now, and yes, local word is the 386 will b groomed from the south, but finding a few reliable operators sounds like it is an endless challenge.   Anyone looking for a part time winter job? 

Looks like the snow season starts in this area on Sunday/Monday.  Beauty day today,  +12 and no wind until sunset.   Got the last of my camp jobs done today before the snow makes it slippery.  

Pardon me, Daryl, but I erred with respect to the péréquation, lumping it in with the annual trail grooming assistance doled out by the FCMQ.  In fiscal year 2018-19 , in Region 13 (the Outaouais), only the Pontiac and Maniwaki clubs received Péréquation monies ($60,000 ea.).  As the other five clubs have sufficient member/kilometre ratios, they didn't receive any of those funds.  In our case (the Hill & Gully Riders), we received $12,850 as our annual operating grant. The Fonds de Neiges assistance for grooming after 15 March was $1152.92.  In season 2019-20, no Fonds de Neige funds were disbursed in the Outaouais because of the COVID shutdown.  All that to say that the FCMQ funding plays a smaller part of any club's budget as compared to membership/trail pass revenue.

Thx for the info. I guess we will find soon enough how things will turn out on the 386. Grader was on the Dumoine Rd last week.. giving us a smooth base to start with as things are starting to turn white. Two snowfalls back in the Ottawa area this week, about 6 inches on the ground but set to melt in the next few days... which is OK as the ground is soft and warm still. 

On 11/25/2020 at 1:36 PM, largedaryl said:

Thx for the info. I guess we will find soon enough how things will turn out on the 386. Grader was on the Dumoine Rd last week.. giving us a smooth base to start with as things are starting to turn white. Two snowfalls back in the Ottawa area this week, about 6 inches on the ground but set to melt in the next few days... which is OK as the ground is soft and warm still. 

Hey .. our dozer was out yesterday (though not on a trail).  We were trying out our new early Christmas present to ourselves .... !

004.JPG

008.JPG