2020-21 season's planning

towing

Hi everybody!

It's very hard to predict how this next season will go but I want to share here with you the latest news I got on last monday from www.snowmobilecountry.ca organisation that represents the Lanaudière/Mauricie regions for snowmobiling: 

- The snowmobiles clubs in our regions all intend to open and are currently in season's  preparation (ok, we already knew this one)

-Near all the hosts/Outfitters/Restaurants in the area who  usually receive sledders intend to be in operation for the coming season: This is very good news because with the sanitary measures I was afraid that some throw in the towel before starting and we would end up with big holes in the trail system/services. No one can currently predict the future and what will happen precisely but with what we currently know on 19 october (borders that can be closed among other things ..) our service providers intend to operate anyway this season knowing they will obviously need  to adjus to health measures and the context of the moment which will certainly give them some challenges.

-At the trail level, not too much change except that there will be forestry activity in the Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve but trail #23 which cross the reserve and link Lanaudière with Mauricie will be open and closure doesn't seem too restrictive. We can see on the interactive map the sections in red that will be closed this season https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/interactive-map/

-Unlike the FCMQ, snowmobile country is printing a paper map this season! It is currently in production and should be available at early/mid-November. The dealers will have some and they will also  mail some to those who ordered them last year. If you are interested in having this paper map version 2020/21 there is a link on their site to request it at the bottom of the page: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/maps-brochures/

-it's the last news I have for the moment.  I certainly know that the  canadian border closure is the main bug for many of you at the moment and it is very bad but the sledding season is mainly from January to March and there is still plenty of time since the best of the season for this to change.

What we know for sure at the moment is that the trail opening underactions/preparations here are going well 👍

Alain

If it's anything like other powersports things will busier this winter than others.  Rv, boat, bike, sea doo and atv sales all boomed this summer.  My local dealer is sold out of sleds already too.  There's a lot of people that usually travel the world that are looking for something to do close to home this year.

3 hours ago, Signfan said:

If it's anything like other powersports things will busier this winter than others.  Rv, boat, bike, sea doo and atv sales all boomed this summer.  My local dealer is sold out of sleds already too.  There's a lot of people that usually travel the world that are looking for something to do close to home this year.

Agreed there will be more Québécois on trail with not being able to travel. The border if it remains closed will definitely have a huge impact as well. 

Not sure I would say “busier” but we shall see.

7 minutes ago, iceman said:

Agreed there will be more Québécois on trail with not being able to travel. The border if it remains closed will definitely have a huge impact as well. 

Yeah it's debatable.  Cottage lakes near home in Ontario this summer were way busier than normal.  Talk to the guys on the Trent Severn Waterway that mainly see's American boat traffic though and their lockage numbers were down some.  Will probably be the same with sledding.  Hot spots for American tourists maybe down some.  Ridership in areas commutible from major city centers for day trips will likely see their numbers up.

Alain, thank you so much for the update, living in the USA I rely heavily on you and all the other wonderful Québécois for reliable information especially for this coming season. Thank you all, we greatly appreciate you 👍

3 hours ago, smclelan said:

I would guess this will cause a huge impact on the snowmobile rental/tour businesses. Those were pretty well all out of province riders. 

Yes that's absolutely true.  It will be a big change for that segment with no European tourists.

8 hours ago, smclelan said:

That certainly all sounds positive. Hopefully there will be lots of sledders traveling around to support the businesses. 

I'm really happy to know that our local business are willing to continue to operate this next winter, the challenge is there for them

7 hours ago, Signfan said:

You are really right and we already view the same facts here: new and used sled market in fire, prices very high and not much unsold units. Many new sledders or other that come back to the sport after many years because those "snow birds" can't going south this next winter

3 hours ago, iceman said:

In the past years the tourists from outside Quebec help making the bussiness rolling during the week days and Quebecers mostly during the weekends... Is our "snowbirds" will compensate for the lost weekdays bussiness (if border remain closed)? it's a good question

3 hours ago, Signfan said:

Yeah it's debatable.  Cottage lakes near home in Ontario this summer were way busier than normal.  Talk to the guys on the Trent Severn Waterway that mainly see's American boat traffic though and their lockage numbers were down some.  Will probably be the same with sledding.  Hot spots for American tourists maybe down some.  Ridership in areas commutible from major city centers for day trips will likely see their numbers up.

During the summer, all outdoor activities have been really good if we forget that it started late. The cottage rental was really popular and sold out month in advance and I think it will continue this winter. Unless catastrophic sanitary restrictions the season will be good but different for sure

3 hours ago, smclelan said:

I would guess this will cause a huge impact on the snowmobile rental/tour businesses. Those were pretty well all out of province riders. 

The rentals far north will be greatly impact for sure but we will probably have many Quebec peoples that had not bought a sled but will give it a try through rental

1 hour ago, 800steve said:

Thanks for the update Alain, If we can not get there this season, we look forward to your posts. 

You are welcome Steve and I hope to be able to do many reports, it would sound good as for our season!

46 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

Alain, thank you so much for the update, living in the USA I rely heavily on you and all the other wonderful Québécois for reliable information especially for this coming season. Thank you all, we greatly appreciate you 👍

My pleasure pipeman!, in this uncertain times it's nice to at least know what are the plans ahead. Each sledding seasons is like a jack-in-the- box surprise with starting/ending dates, weather or farmer boycot etc...  I don't know exactly what this next one will be but the jack-in the box the springs seems cranked very tight!!! I will keep you inform at my best.

33 minutes ago, Signfan said:

Yes that's absolutely true.  It will be a big change for that segment with no European tourists.

I heard that a big sleds rental fleet had released some of their rental units to the sale market that was in need of units to sale... time of changes

11 hours ago, towing said:

I want to share here with you the latest

Alain!  Mon frère!  Ditto-infinity!

We always count on your trip reports as a methadone/step-down drug between our rides!

But who could have predicted that this "off-season" may last 2 years?!

Shall we send you & Kri extra film?

9 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Alain!  Mon frère!  Ditto-infinity!

We always count on your trip reports as a methadone/step-down drug between our rides!

But who could have predicted that this "off-season" may last 2 years?!

Shall we send you & Kri extra film?

keep positive my friend! a 2 years off-season is in the worst scenario...

I hope I will be able to do many reports and wish everybody here to have their sled's season, in the way it will be possible.

I will do a double check tuneup on the gopro and the cams to be ready for the season! 

So I have read the Covid update and the FAQ on FCMQ website and all is not clear for me. What I think is if there are regions in Quebec that have a lockdown for Covid you will be restricted to only riding in your area. I'm thinking that if that happens then being from Ontario there will be no areas for me to ride. If I am completely off base please tune me up.

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/progressive-regional-alert-and-intervention-system/

https://fcmq.qc.ca/en/faq/

17 minutes ago, Thinksno said:

So I have read the Covid update and the FAQ on FCMQ website and all is not clear for me. What I think is if there are regions in Quebec that have a lockdown for Covid you will be restricted to only riding in your area. I'm thinking that if that happens then being from Ontario there will be no areas for me to ride. If I am completely off base please tune me up.

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/progressive-regional-alert-and-intervention-system/

Who knows? it changes day by day. The only color I am concerned with is white. Good luck stopping me from region to region, if its groomed I be going. 

1 hour ago, Thinksno said:

what I understand when I read the restrictions associated with the 4 levels/color of intervention is that there are things that are allowed, some are non -recommended and others are prohibited. Here what is written as for travel between regions for the most restrictive level #4/red:

Inter-regional travel:

Not recommended toward a green, yellow or orange zone and outside Québec

And some new regulations and fines for 20-21

GutZ

ATVs and snowmobiles: fines of up to $ 25,000

PATRICE BERGERON
The Canadian Press
Faced with a heavy toll of nearly 600 dead in 10 years, the Legault government wants to civilize the practice of snowmobiling and ATVs with hefty fines of up to $ 25,000.

Lhe Minister of Transport, François Bonnardel, tabled, on Thursday, Bill 71, which provides a much stricter framework for the circulation of these high-performance vehicles, which are increasingly numerous.

In 10 years, ATVs and snowmobiles have caused no less than 581 deaths and 6,237 hospitalizations, said the spokesperson for the Minister of Transport, Florence Plourde. In comparison, there are more or less 400 deaths per year on the roads of Quebec.

16 years old

If Bill 71 is passed, you will have to be 16 years old and undergo compulsory training to operate these machines. And beware: a person who lets a minor who does not have these prerequisites to drive this type of vehicle is liable to a maximum fine of $ 900, while for a rental company, it can reach $ 25,000.

Also, the cars will have to slow down: the maximum speed imposed on snowmobilers will be 70 km / h, while it will be 50 km / h for “quad” drivers. And less than 100 meters from a home, a health establishment or an area reserved for the practice of cultural, educational, recreational or sports activities, the pilots will have to slow down to 50 km / h.

A fine speeding regime is also planned, with penalties that increase for every 5 km / h that exceeds the permitted speed.

Driving while impaired is prohibited.

It would also be prohibited to drive off-road on public land when the State specifies it. Drivers must respect the tranquility of natural environments and not disturb the behavior of animals.

It is now specified in full that it is forbidden to "frighten, chase, mutilate or kill an animal, with the vehicle or otherwise", or even "to throw or abandon any object or waste" . The fine can then reach $ 500 for an individual, but $ 15,000 for a legal person.

Neighborhood

In addition, the bill wants to end disputes with homeowners who live near trails. Indeed, the text provides that they will have to accept the inconveniences resulting from the circulation of this type of vehicle.

And moreover, "no legal action can be brought against the owner or the lessee of private land which authorizes a club of off-road vehicle users to develop and operate a trail there", we can read. .

However, traffic will only be permitted between 6 a.m. and midnight, except in more isolated and uninhabited territories which are specified in the legislative document.

The text also provides for a series of rules on the maintenance, safety of the vehicle and its mechanical condition.

Finally, a person who wants to rent an ATV or a snowmobile must first take training. Thus, the many French tourists who wish to go on a snowmobile excursion will have to be duly trained before venturing on the trails.

The bill will now have to go through the legislative stages and therefore be studied in a parliamentary committee before it is eventually adopted.

The problem this year will be the Amateurs. Many who have no clue will be out there on trail, not to mention many who may have ridden years ago and now will take it up again since they cannot for example, go winter in Florida, or travel anywhere. 

Serious Danger. 

2 hours ago, iceman said:

The problem this year will be the Amateurs. Many who have no clue will be out there on trail, not to mention many who may have ridden years ago and now will take it up again since they cannot for example, go winter in Florida, or travel anywhere. 

Serious Danger. 

Same thing happened down here on Long Island with boating. Lots of boat traffic, newbies and boats and boaters coming out of storage.