New legislation proposed for our sport.

Andyman

ATVs and snowmobiles: fines of up to $ 25,000
PATRICE BERGERON
The Canadian Press
Faced with a heavy toll of nearly 600 dead in 10 years, the Legault government wants to civilize the practice of snowmobiling and ATVs with hefty fines of up to $ 25,000.
Lhe Minister of Transport, François Bonnardel, tabled, on Thursday, Bill 71, which provides a much stricter framework for the circulation of these high-performance vehicles, which are increasingly numerous.

In 10 years, ATVs and snowmobiles have caused no less than 581 deaths and 6,237 hospitalizations, said the spokesperson for the Minister of Transport, Florence Plourde. In comparison, there are more or less 400 deaths per year on the roads of Quebec.

16 years old

If Bill 71 is passed, you will have to be 16 years old and undergo compulsory training to operate these machines. And beware: a person who lets a minor who does not have these prerequisites to drive this type of vehicle is liable to a maximum fine of $ 900, while for a rental company, it can reach $ 25,000.

Also, the cars will have to slow down: the maximum speed imposed on snowmobilers will be 70 km / h, while it will be 50 km / h for “quad” drivers. And less than 100 meters from a home, a health establishment or an area reserved for the practice of cultural, educational, recreational or sports activities, the pilots will have to slow down to 50 km / h.

A fine speeding regime is also planned, with penalties that increase for every 5 km / h that exceeds the permitted speed.

Driving while impaired is prohibited.

It would also be prohibited to drive off-road on public land when the State specifies it. Drivers must respect the tranquility of natural environments and not disturb the behavior of animals.

It is now specified in full that it is forbidden to "frighten, chase, mutilate or kill an animal, with the vehicle or otherwise", or even "to throw or abandon any object or waste" . The fine can then reach $ 500 for an individual, but $ 15,000 for a legal person.

Neighborhood

In addition, the bill wants to end disputes with homeowners who live near trails. Indeed, the text provides that they will have to accept the inconveniences resulting from the circulation of this type of vehicle.

And moreover, "no legal action can be brought against the owner or the lessee of private land which authorizes a club of off-road vehicle users to develop and operate a trail there", we can read. .

However, traffic will only be permitted between 6 a.m. and midnight, except in more isolated and uninhabited territories which are specified in the legislative document.

The text also provides for a series of rules on the maintenance, safety of the vehicle and its mechanical condition.

Finally, a person who wants to rent an ATV or a snowmobile must first take training. Thus, the many French tourists who wish to go on a snowmobile excursion will have to be duly trained before venturing on the trails.

The bill will now have to go through the legislative stages and therefore be studied in a parliamentary committee before it is eventually adopted.

There are 200,000 snowmobiles and 400,000 ATVs in circulation in Quebec today.

Because I love my community, I contribute to my local media.

10 hours ago, Signfan said:

Does this mean snowmobile drivers licenses for all?  It also deals with the ongoing immunity extensions doesn't it?

Where does it say anything about Snowmobile licenses? What is “ongoing immunity extensions”??????

This part below.. I believe has some issues with the translation from french to english 

“If Bill 71 is passed, you will have to be 16 years old and undergo compulsory training to operate these machines.” 

Meaning to operate a sled at 16 years old you need a training class before you can ride a sled. At 16 in Quebec you can apply for your car drivers license but it takes almost a year to complete the process so at 16 you essentially have no license. 

If you have a drivers license then you can operate snowmobiles or quads. Technically you did not need a driver license to ride a snowmobile in the bush however, the minute you go to cross any road you now need that license as you are using a roadway, even if just to cross. 

Anyway this PROPOSED law is yet to be studied and it says “eventually adopted” so it could change and be quite awhile before any of this comes into fruition. 

Keep your panties on. 

14 hours ago, Andyman said:

Neighborhood

In addition, the bill wants to end disputes with homeowners who live near trails. Indeed, the text provides that they will have to accept the inconveniences resulting from the circulation of this type of vehicle.

And moreover, "no legal action can be brought against the owner or the lessee of private land which authorizes a club of off-road vehicle users to develop and operate a trail there", we can read. .

Voisinage

En outre, le projet de loi veut mettre fin à des litiges avec des propriétaires qui habitent près de sentiers. En effet, le texte prévoit qu’ils devront accepter les inconvénients résultant de la circulation de ce type de véhicules. 

Et de surcroît, « nulle action en justice ne peut être intentée contre le propriétaire ou le locataire d’une terre privée qui autorise un club d’utilisateurs de véhicules hors route à y aménager et à y exploiter un sentier », peut-on lire. 

Toutefois, la circulation ne sera autorisée qu’entre 6 h et 24 h 00, sauf dans des territoires plus isolés et non habités qui sont précisés dans la pièce législative.

This to me is great. Got no problem with this. 

Maybe if this passes some day they can open up that million dollar “connector” bypass. 

I am not sure of the exact meaning, but if it says you can not operate an OHV until you are 16 this is a very bad piece of legislation. We need to capture young people at a younger age into the sport. The training should be available at 12-14  y/o then they could ride under direct supervision of a trained adult.  At 16 snowmobiling would be competing with a car and their drivers licence. 

The whole portion on neighborhood is the immunity issue and it does appear to be addressing the issue.  The government has been extending immunity to the trails and landowners to prevent people from sueing landowners that allow trails on their property for years now.  The current extension expires in December.  Without another extension there is a real threat here to our sport we should all be concerned with.  This all dates back to the decision which closed the trail at Mont Tremblant many years ago. The legal age for drivers is already 16 and there is already snowmobile drivers licenses for this age group.  Why rehash this in a press release if there is not a change planned here?  Yes this is proposed law still up for debate.  I posted my question looking for some insight from someone who might have more details on the overall plan here.  

All in based on what was posted there is very little in this proposed legislation that most riders should be worried about.  Making our sport safer is a good thing.

1 hour ago, Signfan said:

The whole portion on neighborhood is the immunity issue and it does appear to be addressing the issue The government has been extending immunity to the trails and landowners to prevent people from sueing landowners that allow trails on their property for years now.  The current extension expires in December Without another extension there is a real threat here to our sport we should all be concerned with.  This all dates back to the decision which closed the trail at Mont Tremblant many years ago.

Thanks for this.

You learn something everyday. I did not know anything about this as I have never heard or read about it anywhere until now. Even with all the talk on the new trail to bypass Mont Tremblant, no one brought this up.

https://fcmq.qc.ca/en/news/fcmq-welcomes-favourably-introduction-bill-147/

This is partially why everyone ran scared in Saint Faustin last year.  The folks working against that trail are the same folks that launched the original lawsuit.  They successfully sued the government at the time.  Claimed health issues from noise and emissions of the sleds that are passing by.  I'm by no means an expert.  I believe the thought is that the technology would eventually get to a point that many of the arguments are no longer valid as the sleds are cleaner and quieter than they were back then.  If this new legislation states that the landowners can't be sued and it's permanent legislation it's a step in the right direction.  Will be interesting to see which trails would be subject to the new curfew.  Can't say I do alot of riding between 12 and 6, but also would be lying to say I've never ridden during those hours.  If anyone has any further info please chime in.  

On the training front it says tourist renting machines need to take a course.  A good idea.  I'm still curious to see if this extends to everyone.  Or just unlicensed drivers and tourists who rent.  I can't say I would care if I had to take a snowmobile course, but I could see it being a barrier that stops some folks from participating.  Might be a good thing with new folks getting involved this season due to Covid though to stop the stupidity we all fear will occur.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out as it goes through the parliamentary process and is debated.

The party is over???   Beginning to sound like gun control in the US.....drunk driving has always been illegal.....I almost never see this out on the trail.....it is a very small minority....usually younger, local kids at the neighborhood bar on Friday night. Just a great opportunity for those who dislike sledding when they find the ear of a politician. I never heard that the guys who fell thru the ice were drunk nor did I see it in print....just a horrible accident.It is early and this is a big business that accounts for tons of employment. It is grossly incorrect to categorize the sport as a whole.I try hard to stay out of town,, those check points can tie up a lot of time...and for the most part 99% of the people in the line are in compliance.

On 10/24/2020 at 4:28 PM, dooright said:

Party over ... yikes 

I know .... a ridiculous characterization.  And this from the political party (the CAQ) which was supposed to be "snowmobile club friendly".  Anyway, what follows is a translation of a communiqué issued by the FCMQ to club executives yesterday.    In the end, we don't foresee many negative consequences of this legislation when and if it is eventually adopted and if it ends the threat of lawsuits to landowners, or regional governments, for allowing off road vehicle right-of-ways, well, all the better.

Good morning all,

This communication aims to follow up on the announcement of the tabling of Bill 71 of 22 October 2020.

The Fédération des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec (FCMQ) is currently working, together with legal authorities, as well as other stakeholders, to properly assess Bill 71 presented by the Ministry of Transport.
Each section of the law will be carefully evaluated in order to recognize the changes made to the Act respecting off-highway vehicles.

The FCMQ will express its point of view on the subject, via a brief, to the National Assembly. The author of the brief will be invited, during public hearings, to present the brief or the views of the FCMQ and answer questions from Members.
This will take place at the Parliament Building at a later date which is not yet determined.

We have been waiting for a long time for clarifications and revisions to certain points of the law, our job now is to ensure that this bill reflects our interests.  

Please accept my best regards,

Edited by Gullyrider