900 ace turbo reliability / lifespan

Signfan

Now that they're a couple years old how are these engines holding up with the turbo on them.  Are folks seeing 30,000 - 40,000 km with no issues like you get on the naturally aspirated engine?  Figured there would be a few big mileage guys on here that could comment.

15 minutes ago, Andyman said:

Just a heads up for anyone who has a 2021 900T a recall/bulletin just came out for the turbos. Check with your dealer to see if your sled is on the recall list.

They caught Covid!!!

-The Turbo's Cough and Sputter.

-They need to be Quarantined for two weeks at the dealer, waiting for parts.

GutZ

21 hours ago, NHTOM said:

Are the track edges fraying because these tunnels carry so much ice? My 900T only has 1300 miles and the track edges  are frayed already.

Both mine and my buddys with identical mileage are missing at least 20 lugs, most on the outer

3 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Both mine and my buddys with identical mileage are missing at least 20 lugs, most on the outer

52 minutes ago, Andyman said:

What track do you have Jack?

Good Question, our 2018 1200 with the 1.6+ Ice Cobra was doing the same type thing, but with 10,000 miles on it.

The Newer IceRipper 1.5 is what I'm looking at for the next round of tracks.

GutZ

https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1564715-jim-jamisons-20000-mile-ride-the-hours/

Read this link in Dootalk about Jim Jamison that put 20,000 miles on a new 900T in 2019. Likely the best accessment of the 900T you will ever find.

Is it ice in the tunnel pulling the lugs off?  Or just wear and catching the track on obstacles in low snow conditions.  Is the 1.5" ice ripper worse than a 1.25" ice ripper for this?  My xs chassis 900 ace sleds do suffer from lots of tunnel ice build up in certain conditions.  Never had any track damage from it though.  Running a 1.25" ice ripper.

Based on what I'm reading no one is having motor or turbo issues with the 900 turbo which is nice to hear.

20 hours ago, Andyman said:

What track do you have Jack?

It's the 1.6 which was available on the 19's. They did away with it for the 20's.  I believe there where to many issues with it. Ice build up is huge in the tunnel. Have to beat the tunnel good especially in the mornings and after lunch stops.

Thanks, Jack

I think I will invest in one of those little rubber mallets to beat the ice off when it gets built up. One of my buddies has a freeride and he is constantly smashing ice out of his tunnel with his boots.

I ran hard and fast on the cold hard Quebec trails with my 1.5 Ice Ripper 900 XRS and had no issues. Another guy I know did the same but lost lugs- the big difference is I ran the BRP tunnel ice scratchers whenever the trails were tight. I never had engine heat issues but noticed the track was often bare and clean. In the past I have learned heat from sliders will heat track rods and cause lug failures. 3500k

As for the sled, I am so confident in the 900T as a great motor and it performs well stock. The other thing is I cannot believe how cool the clutches stay!

Edited by Thinksno

2 hours ago, Signfan said:

How do you guys find the 1.5 / 1.6 ice rippers vs the 1.25?  Much difference in performance?

The 1.5 IR definitely hooked up better than 1.25. I am sure top speed is down. 

20200325_154637.jpg

3 hours ago, Signfan said:

How do you guys find the 1.5 / 1.6 ice rippers vs the 1.25?  Much difference in performance?

I would never go back to a 1.25 track, the advantages of the bigger lug shine when there is fresh or loose snow and also very noticeable climbing hills.

3 minutes ago, smclelan said:

I would never go back to a 1.25 track, the advantages of the bigger lug shine when there is fresh or loose snow and also very noticeable climbing hills.

If you are running groomed trails the 1.25 will be better then the ice ripper hands down. True studs will always out perform the ice ripper track. Especially on a frozen groomed trail.