900 ace turbo reliability / lifespan

Signfan

1 hour ago, 800R MXZ X said:

For true performance not sure how you guys can run the ice ripper tracks. True studs are the only way to go. 😜

I'd say most riders on the site are more about getting to there far away destinations than worries about my pony beat yours across the potato field by 5 feet .... just a guess  . 

1 hour ago, smclelan said:

I would never go back to a 1.25 track, the advantages of the bigger lug shine when there is fresh or loose snow and also very noticeable climbing hills.

Interesting take. I would like to snow check this spring and thought I was sold on the 1.25 ice ripper, but you bring up a good point about prevailing conditions depending on region/grooming schedule. Packed vs. powder.
I have run the 1.25 ice ripper on the last 2 1200’s.  The one before that had true studs with the 84 pattern on double backers each, so 168 down the middle.  Definitely hooked up better than the ice ripper, but the wear and tear on idler wheels got sickening.  Granted it was a 120” vs. a 137” skid.  I believe Thinksno might have a good point about the scratchers if I do opt for the 1.5/1.6 whichever is offered next spring.  Keep the cometary coming about 1.25 vs. 1.6. I would like to know what you guys are running on your 900T’s.

069C94B0-9F79-4DA0-BAA5-24CA89457A3C.jpeg

14 minutes ago, dooright said:

The BRP rail scratchers work awesome  

I was using the OTTP ski mounted. Not sure they dropped the temps any.  I liked the idea of “reversible” .  Do the Doo ones have to be raised when in reverse?  I can just see myself forgetting in the parking lot at the Forestel...lol...there is always seems to be a crowd watching from the rooms. 

2534B9E4-36FA-477E-8370-8426A3765CD4.jpeg

Torn lugs on the 1.6 Cobra was a commonly reported problem on the 2019 Ski Doo.  In our group of 6, we have one 2019 Turbo and four 2020 Turbos.  There have been zero issues with any of them.  Two of the 2020’s have the 1.5 Ice Ripper. No problems with those.  Since 2010, we all rode 1200’s with 1.25 IR on them (we swapped out the 1” tracks on the early models). We never had any problem with the 1.25’s. 
No question about it, studs provide better traction on hard pack and ice.  We ran them for many years. Occasional chewed up idler, but thankfully never a tear out that went through a heat exchanger.  Since most of our miles come in Quebec on saddlebag trips, we want as few problems as possible.  So the move was made to Ice Ripper tracks to avoid the punctured heat exchanger.  I guess as long as the backend of a sled that is passing me isn’t mine, I’m happy.

As far as the Turbos, all indications this far is that they seem to be very reliable.  When you read the Jim Jamison write up, you’ll see that he ran 87 Octane in his all the time and had no problem.  Last year we had to use 87 a few times, and they were all just fine.  

15 hours ago, 800R MXZ X said:

For true performance not sure how you guys can run the ice ripper tracks. True studs are the only way to go. 😜

I agree that true studs will always hook up better than a pre-studded track. However for the kind of riding that many members on this board do an ice ripper track will provide the extra traction and confidence needed to ride safely on the perfectly groomed trails of Quebec.

14 hours ago, dooright said:

I'd say most riders on the site are more about getting to there far away destinations than worries about my pony beat yours across the potato field by 5 feet .... just a guess  . 

Agree 100%!

14 hours ago, Je me souviens said:

Interesting take. I would like to snow check this spring and thought I was sold on the 1.25 ice ripper, but you bring up a good point about prevailing conditions depending on region/grooming schedule. Packed vs. powder.
I have run the 1.25 ice ripper on the last 2 1200’s.  The one before that had true studs with the 84 pattern on double backers each, so 168 down the middle.  Definitely hooked up better than the ice ripper, but the wear and tear on idler wheels got sickening.  Granted it was a 120” vs. a 137” skid.  I believe Thinksno might have a good point about the scratchers if I do opt for the 1.5/1.6 whichever is offered next spring.  Keep the cometary coming about 1.25 vs. 1.6. I would like to know what you guys are running on your 900T’s.

069C94B0-9F79-4DA0-BAA5-24CA89457A3C.jpeg

Whether to run true studs or a pre-studded track depends a lot on your style of riding and what you consider to be a"normal season" trip and mileage wise. If you only ride a limited number of trips/km then true studs can work for you. However, if you are like myself and the guys I ride with and unload your sled and set off on 10 day plus rides in excess of 4000 km then true studs are not the answer. On my most ambitious trip of 19 days and over 6700 km I was on a sled that had true studs. I changed 7 yes 7 idler wheels a real pain in the butt not to mention the cost. I remember at one point in Hearst Ontario being bent over in a garage that belonged to the hotel changing an idler wheel and my so-called buddies were standing around drinking beer and laughing at me! It was at that point that Andyman made the decision that this was the last sled that would have true studs! Lol

These are just my personal views and observations and I hope we get to enjoy this winter despite Covid!

Andy

IMG_1602 (2).JPG

Edited by Andyman
Mileage correction

I've ridden sleds with both tracks, the studded track just feels more stable then an ice ripper. When we are up in Quebec the trails are usually like concrete unless we have fresh snow fall. It really is just a personal preference as I feel the studded track also stops better.

As far as the wheel issue goes I've never really had that issue  but I do check my studs every so often to make sure they are tight.

Biggest down fall is not being able to right north of the border this season, hopefully next year it will be back to normal.....

14 hours ago, dooright said:

This 1000%.  I run unstudded after being 50 miles from anything and threw a stud through the heat exchanger.  Never running studs again and don't miss them.

3 hours ago, Andyman said:

I agree that true studs will always hook up better than a pre-studded track. However for the kind of riding that many members on this board do an ice ripper track will provide the extra traction and confidence needed to ride safely on the perfectly groomed trails of Quebec.

Agree 100%!

Whether to run true studs or a pre-studded track depends a lot on your style of riding and what you consider to be a"normal season" trip and mileage wise. If you only ride a limited number of trips/km then true studs can work for you. However, if you are like myself and the guys I ride with and unload your sled and set off on 10 day plus rides in excess of 4000 km then true studs are not the answer. On my most ambitious trip of 19 days and over 6700 km I was on a sled that had true studs. I changed 7 yes 7 idler wheels a real pain in the butt not to mention the cost. I remember at one point in Hearst Ontario being bent over in a garage that belonged to the hotel changing an idler wheel and my so-called buddies were standing around drinking beer and laughing at me! It was at that point that Andyman made the decision that this was the last sled that would have true studs! Lol

These are just my personal views and observations and I hope we get to enjoy this winter despite Covid!

Andy

IMG_1602 (2).JPG

I agree 100 percent.  We use a ice gripper type and have not changed a idle wheel in 3 years. Changed a lot of wheels on the trail because my kid could feel a vibration.  

3 hours ago, Andyman said:

I remember at one point in Hearst Ontario being bent over in a garage that belonged to the hotel changing an idler wheel and my so-called buddies were standing around drinking beer and laughing at me! It was at that point that Andyman made the decision that this was the last sled that would have true studs! Lol

Andy

I can't imagine riding with a bunch of degengenerate GF's like that!  However, I have heard of that type of behavior before, even seen where a rider would stand on a wrench and smoke cigars so another rider could not get his battery installed!

Over the years I have run probably 2 dozen different sleds, some modified sleds with 200 to 235 hp. I had sleds with 225 studs, 144 studs, etc. 20 years ago when properly done, when the tracks were heavier, I never had a problem. Today with the lighter tracks and better clutching I have seen a lot of studs pull out and ruin heat exchangers. I now have 2 850's a backcountry with a 1.6 and an Extreme with a 1.8. I never thought I would be without studs until I rode these sleds, they hook up very well and I have not found the need to go back to studs, last season I rode 5600 miles with no issues. I do know that they stop better and hook up well, but that being said, I never had a sled hook nearly as well as the extreme.It is a personal choice for sure, I guess if I was younger and hanging at the lake all day racing 1/4 miles I would use them. But for sure when out on the trail a thousand miles from my truck, I feel good not worrying about a self induced coolant leak.

On 11/26/2020 at 2:27 PM, smclelan said:

I can't imagine riding with a bunch of degengenerate GF's like that!  However, I have heard of that type of behavior before, even seen where a rider would stand on a wrench and smoke cigars so another rider could not get his battery installed!

His day will come when he needs our help to get him unstuck again and I will bring that incident up! LOL