Lac St. Jean Conditions??

ultrastryk

We are heading up to Chicoutimi the day after Christmas. Anyone know if there is enough snow in town yet to ride from there. I am getting nervous already. Of course I get nervous this time every year. I see that the St. Zenon area has plenty of snow, but we rode that area for about 12 years in a row at Christmas, so don't really want to go back and do that again.

Thanks for any info

Bill

Rode out of the HI on saturday, was thin in spots, they were packing the trails, and expecting more snow this week. The closer to Mt Valin the deeper it got. Expect at least 2-3 reroutes before you get to 93.

Gutz

Rode out of the HI on saturday, was thin in spots, they were packing the trails, and expecting more snow this week. The closer to Mt Valin the deeper it got. Expect at least 2-3 reroutes before you get to 93.

Gutz

What do you mean by reroutes. Are they changing some of the trails?

Thanks

Bill

Hello !!

I just want to confirm you we have a lot of snow already in Chicoutimi area and specially in the Monts-Valin !

Yesterday we received journalists from Ontario and they REALY enjoy their day !

You can always refer to www.fcmq.qc.ca for quebec trails conditions !

Have a nice Holiday time ! :good:

That website shows most everything except Mt. Valin as being closed. Is it just not up to date or is it that thin in the other areas. Since our drive is 15 hours, I don't want to be limited to just Mt. Valin.

Thanks

Bill

What do you mean by reroutes. Are they changing some of the trails?

Thanks

Bill

let's see, 1 first one was real easy, you won't even notice if you follow the tracks, 2 between the bridges there is construction, it was real thin in that area and you snake around the site, 3 and the last one i came to (before motor issues) was in shipshaw/st ambroise near the restaurant with the elk in the sign, there is a road crossing, you need to take the trail on the left (1/4 mile-ish before the crossing) and follow that, it takes you to same crossing spot.

there were alot of people out riding and they were packing and marking the trails with the groomer in Jonqueire, they expected more snow this week and next.

call the HI and ask, they are real informative.

also Dozer lives and rides near there, he can help with conditions.

Gutz

let's see, 1 first one was real easy, you won't even notice if you follow the tracks, 2 between the bridges there is construction, it was real thin in that area and you snake around the site, 3 and the last one i came to (before motor issues) was in shipshaw/st ambroise near the restaurant with the elk in the sign, there is a road crossing, you need to take the trail on the left (1/4 mile-ish before the crossing) and follow that, it takes you to same crossing spot.

there were alot of people out riding and they were packing and marking the trails with the groomer in Jonqueire, they expected more snow this week and next.

call the HI and ask, they are real informative.

also Dozer lives and rides near there, he can help with conditions.

Gutz

Thanks for the help. I guess I just need to pray for more snow in the next 8 days. We prefer to ride that area, but since it is 3 hours closer to go to St. Zenon, we'll just have to see who ends up with more snow.

Bill

Thanks for the help. I guess I just need to pray for more snow in the next 8 days. We prefer to ride that area, but since it is 3 hours closer to go to St. Zenon, we'll just have to see who ends up with more snow.

Bill

Good day!

I work at the HI in Saguenay and i can tell you we got snow yesterday and last night and we are expecting more today.

Karine

Good day!

I work at the HI in Saguenay and i can tell you we got snow yesterday and last night and we are expecting more today.

Karine

Karine,

When are you expecting Bill to arrive for the 2008/2009 season? The www.fcmq.qc.ca web site is not always accurate. We kept pushing our trip last year based on information from this site. When we got up to HI the conditions were great, but yet the site said they were bad and mostly closed. Bill seems to provide the best trail condition reports for that area and HI guests.

Craig

Good day!

Karine

Karine,

I was going to email you. My Brother and I had a great time this last weekend. Everyone was very friendly, and welcomed us back.

Thanks Again

Don

Karine,

When are you expecting Bill to arrive for the 2008/2009 season? The www.fcmq.qc.ca web site is not always accurate. We kept pushing our trip last year based on information from this site. When we got up to HI the conditions were great, but yet the site said they were bad and mostly closed. Bill seems to provide the best trail condition reports for that area and HI guests.

Craig

Saguenay Bill and I will be at the Holiday on or about January 9 depending on the weather.

Good day!

Karine

Karine

Thanks for the update. It is good to hear from someone local. Can you keep us posted between now and Christmas? I don't want to lead the group on a 15hour drive if there isn't decent snow to get in and out of town.

Thanks

Bill

Karine

Thanks for the update. It is good to hear from someone local. Can you keep us posted between now and Christmas? I don't want to lead the group on a 15hour drive if there isn't decent snow to get in and out of town.

Thanks

Bill

i have been going to the hi in jonqure for the last probaly 8- 10 years at xmas week . and agan this year we will be there the 25 or 26 till newyears eve i hope to see you up there. if the desk at the hi tell u its good to ride then it is they are real good people.

i have been going to the hi in jonqure for the last probaly 8- 10 years at xmas week . and agan this year we will be there the 25 or 26 till newyears eve i hope to see you up there. if the desk at the hi tell u its good to ride then it is they are real good people.

karine hows the snow can we ride from the hotel?

I will get a report from the folks at the Saguenay Snowmobile Club on Monday. I will post that report. They were suppose to open 83 from the HI to La Grenouille today.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I'm getting nervous :)

I will get a report from the folks at the Saguenay Snowmobile Club on Monday. I will post that report. They were suppose to open 83 from the HI to La Grenouille today.

Bill

Ultra,

Do you drive all the way to the HI from PA......... We are from Scranton.

We are heading up the same time frame, usually like to park much closer and saddlebag up to the HI. Drove once and it was torture.....

Realizing that it is early season, we just play it day by day. Probably bump into you during the week.

Best of luck,

BJ

Ultra,

We are heading up the same time frame, usually like to park much closer and saddlebag up to the HI. Drove once and it was torture.....

Realizing that it is early season, we just play it day by day. Probably bump into you during the week.

Best of luck,

BJ

Yes, the drive does suck. We watch a couple movies in the truck to pass the time. I would saddlebag, but we have the wives along this trip. If things are looking thin in Chic. we may have to go to plan B which is either the St. Donat area where they just got another 8" or Michigan where they keep getting hit lately. I prefer the lower crowds and grooming in Lac St Jean, but no use driving 15 hours if there isn't really enough snow.

Bill

I received the following from the Caribou-Conscrits Club:

Mont Valin is completely open.

Trails in the "open land" have 2 feet of snow and should be open by Dec 24.

The following is the Saguenay report

The Saguenay club has 75% of their trails open and are working on remainder.

For French speaking folks got to www.motoneigesaguenay.com. The English version will be set up very soon.

Bill

Ultra,

Best of luck,

BJ

BJ

You are 45 years younger than me. When I lived 1 and 1/2 hours south of you I use to drive up to the Saguenay 3 times per year, by myself. Oh well I guess they don't make them the way they use to. Just having a little fun with you. Merry Christmas and I hope to see you soon with your new "item" on.

Bill

BJ

You are 45 years younger than me. When I lived 1 and 1/2 hours south of you I use to drive up to the Saguenay 3 times per year, by myself. Oh well I guess they don't make them the way they use to. Just having a little fun with you. Merry Christmas and I hope to see you soon with your new "item" on.

Bill

Bill, I would drive if my old lady would let me stay for two months..........Twenty years younger, cmon How old is ultra? He must have a nicer old lady!

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

PS I was offered to open my xmas present tonight and I declined, didn't want to give in to the anticipation.

Bill, I would drive if my old lady would let me stay for two months..........Twenty years younger, cmon How old is ultra? He must have a nicer old lady!

PS I was offered to open my xmas present tonight and I declined, didn't want to give in to the anticipation.

We will drive to the HI if we cant get there by trail! Have at least three trips planned.......Good year this year.

We will drive to the HI if we cant get there by trail! Have at least three trips planned.......Good year this year.

I didn't stay for 2 months until 04. I used to drive up 3 times per year before that. Ultra has a truck load of guys with him, TV in the truck, VCR which I'm sure must have some "ballet" flicks being played on the way. I'm closer to 71 than I am 70 and you aren't 30 yet. Buck up!

You better lay off opening up your Christmas presents.

FYI, I've just arrived at the HI. I figured I'd burn-off a few miles to get rid of that new sled smell. All trails out of the Hotel appear to have been groomed at some point, but the snow is very thin, ice in the corners and little snow in the fields.

The forecast is for a few inches of powder tonight. I hope to cross the river and head to the mountains tomorrow.

On the drive up, conditions in L'Etape seemed the best, too bad Auberge le Relais isn't open.

FYI, I've just arrived at the HI. I figured I'd burn-off a few miles to get rid of that new sled smell. All trails out of the Hotel appear to have been groomed at some point, but the snow is very thin, ice in the corners and little snow in the fields.

The forecast is for a few inches of powder tonight. I hope to cross the river and head to the mountains tomorrow.

On the drive up, conditions in L'Etape seemed the best, too bad Auberge le Relais isn't open.

This is not good news. We are supposed to leave for there on Friday for 8 days. Can you give us an update tomorrow as to whether you got more snow and how the trails are. We're on the edge of switching to Michigan if there is not enough riding up there for 8 days.

Thanks

Bill