Lac St. Jean Conditions??

ultrastryk

Amazing what a good nights sleep will bring...15-20cm of snow in the forecast for today...

Scorp - - you're killing me here :) Is it actually snowing yet? I'll be pacing back and forth all day while you are out riding, waiting for your update. Not that I want you to feel quilty or anything. Just go ahead and ride and have fun :)

It's currently not snowing! The forecast is now 15-25cm overnight. Trails from the HI to about a mile north of the river crossing were thin. After that, snow was OK, and trails were so-so all the way to Valinouet. Once you get to Monts-Valin the snow and trails are as expected, excellent. There was 8-12" of fresh powder over groomed trails. Only a few sleds were out, and once past Chapelle, I was breaking trail in the new powder for the whole 93-252 loop. With the 1.75" ripsaw and Simmons skis, it didn't feel like 12" of powder, the new sled was awesome. The guy at Chapelle said 93 to Sacre Couer and the Pelchat trail to Les Escomins were great. South of the river, trails are poor, although L'Etape looked good on the drive up.

Today I managed 233 miles, the first on the 600 ETEC. Mileage was a little disappointing at 12.5 MPG, but it's still in the break-in cycle and I was pushing a lot of powder. Here's the GPS track for today...

Hard to find good trails around here today. A lot of drifting, mostly speed bumps, but some big ones on 328. Hopefully the crews will be out grooming tonight. 114 miles...

Is there enough snow now? Is is just grooming that needs to be done? We don't leave for Chic until Sat am, but part of our group is leaving tonight and he can't decide between going there and going to the UP. If you get this can you post more details tonight? Did the storm only produce 3"? Are the southern trails still too thin.

I can't take the stress :) If we head to Chic, it sounds like there might not be enough snow to give us a variety for 6 days. The UP has plenty of snow, but not sure if Michigan grooms enough for a holiday week.

Help.

Bill

It's a tough call. North of the river has plenty of snow, it just needs grooming, so it's a question of when. I'm sure they'll be out tonight and tomorrow for the weekend. South of the river is thin, but would be ok with grooming. Tomorrow will be cold and the trails should be good, but then there's the weekend forecast...Saturday, snow changing to rain and Sunday just rain. After that the forecast is great. They've been flip-flopping on the weekend forecast, so who knows. It shouldn't effect the Mountains, but the cities will get beat. It'll be tough getting a good 6-day ride up here without riding the same trails. You may be better off staying in the mountains, there's a lot of off-trail stuff and the ZEC. That way you miss the 100 miles of crap trails getting there. I'll keep you posted...

Scorpion,

We decided to head to the UP as they have a little more snow at this time. It sounds like Mt. Valin is great, but may be tougher getting there is they get the rain on Sat or sun. The funny thing is that we originally planned to rent a cabin up at Passion Mt. Valin. I am sure they are full with skiers now.

Have fun and thanks for the updates.

Bill

Good luck Ultra...

Today started at -17F. 83 from the hotel was groomed, but not enough snow. 367/383 weren't groomed south of the river. Once I crossed the river, 367 was groomed to the groomer's base on 93. Nothing else was groomed to Monts-Valin till bras-louis [267], but I met the groomer a few miles before the 477 turn, so I turned around. 93 to Valinouet was rough, so I turned around and took 328 which was junk till I met the groomer around the 476 turn, then it was groomed to 367 and back to 93. Since 93 west was groomed, I took it. It was perfect till the intersection of 115, where it was groomed both ways, so I took the 115 loop for the first time, it was a great trail till the last few miles. It was still freshly groomed [i think it was just opened], but had a lot of 'whips' towards the end. I ended the still cold day with 152 miles, and an improved 12.9 MPG on the Etec, now at 500 miles.

I just saw this update on the trail condition page. Pray for snow folks.

Andy

* IMPORTANT *

For sectors Bégin, Lamarche and St. Ambroise, caution is advised because there is a lack of snow. The 328 to Begin HOLE OF WATER.

The marking is not completed for lack of snow.

I guess it's a good thing that we came to the UP. Even with all the rain they had on sat, the trails have been great. Lake Superior is an incredible site in the winter. Now I know how the sailors on the Edmond Fitzgerald felt :) It doesn't get as cold up here in the winter according to the locals. Mainly in the mid 20's because of the warm air coming off the lakes.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, I have been following his post, but I don't think he has been around the lake yet?

We were planning on going 'round the Lake until my sled crapped out.. I think it is possible, there is plenty of snow on NW side around Dolbeau.

That is what I bought, 650 miles so far and it has run like a Rolex...Quite a nice sled. I guess you can get bad parts on any model. Had it in NY in deep powder and it floated like a butterfly. Hope you are back on the snow soon.