Relais 22 phone booth

iceman

I can remember very well the first time at Relais 22 long before cell phones or internet everywhere. A guy was in a crew cab pickup laid out in backseat. Out front of the restaurant Waiting on an ambulance for his broken leg from a sled crash. He was in the truck when we arrived and still in it as we finished dinner. Long way for the ambulance to come up that road in winter especially. 

https://www.lenouvelliste.ca/ma-region/la-tuque-il-ny-aura-plus-de-cabine-telephonique-au-relais-22-milles-2897c5ebb3178df922c31d540adb12da?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3vI0IbsnWdDRo2AIf_Dzpy5H7kXOw1Cxlo8fpj-Dfngv-uEk5dnqcd_uY

La Tuque: there will no longer be a telephone booth at Relais 22 Milles

La Tuque - Le Relais 22 Milles has announced the dismantling of the only public telephone booth on forest road 10, between the town of La Tuque and the Gouin dam, during the month of December.

Le Relais 22 indicates that this situation is "due to the abandonment of responsibility for infrastructure maintenance by the regional telephone provider Télébec".

Remember that forest road 10 is the main access to all of the unorganized territory (TNO) north of the town of La Tuque and Domaine du Roy, in Lac-Saint-Jean.

“Thousands of vacationers, quad riders, snowmobilers, hunters, fishermen and forestry workers crisscross this forest road every day.  On this road of more than 200 km between the Gouin dam and the City of La Tuque, a single relay has allowed access to an outdoor telephone booth year-round, at all times for more than 40 years, for the needs of  communication, but also for access to the 911 service after the relay has closed, ”explain the managers of Relais 22.

"In 2011, the telephony provider Télébec advised its customers using radio-wave infrastructures that it would no longer cover the costs related to the maintenance of these infrastructures allowing us to receive telephony service in the forest",  they continue.

Le Relais 22 believes that it has been forced to abandon its telephone service with the supplier Télébec because of "line quality problems that last for several days, following heavy rain or snow".

This abandonment of service will result in the dismantling of the telephone booth located at KM 61 of forest road 10, the only 24-hour telephone access for users of this road.

However, Relais 22 wants to be reassuring for customers.  It will still be possible to telephone during the establishment's opening hours and outdoor Wi-Fi access will be available.

The Télébec company confirmed to Nouvelliste that it had received the owner's request to disconnect the public telephone located at Relais 22 Miles.

“We are in discussion with the customer for the next steps.  This public telephone uses old technology that Télébec no longer supports, ”confirmed spokesperson Vanessa Damha by email.

The Relais 22 Milles has also been equipped with a cardiac defibrillator (AED) since last August.  The purchase of this equipment was made possible, thanks to the generosity of the customers during a vast fundraising campaign that ended in March 2020. It is also recalled that leading employees are able to intervene  in case of emergency.

The Relais 22 Mile is one of the largest snowmobile relays in Quebec, it links the Mauricie region with those of Lac-Saint-Jean and Abitibi.

5 hours ago, iceman said:

I can remember very well the first time at Relais 22 long before cell phones or internet everywhere. A guy was in a crew cab pickup laid out in backseat. Out front of the restaurant Waiting on an ambulance for his broken leg from a sled crash. He was in the truck when we arrived and still in it as we finished dinner. Long way for the ambulance to come up that road in winter especially. 

https://www.lenouvelliste.ca/ma-region/la-tuque-il-ny-aura-plus-de-cabine-telephonique-au-relais-22-milles-2897c5ebb3178df922c31d540adb12da?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3vI0IbsnWdDRo2AIf_Dzpy5H7kXOw1Cxlo8fpj-Dfngv-uEk5dnqcd_uY

La Tuque: there will no longer be a telephone booth at Relais 22 Milles

Too bad I missed this one.  Would have been nice to add to the collection of pictures with the quad.  Lol. 

1 hour ago, hparaptor said:

This is what it looks like during summer months...  

20150815_150328.jpg

The departure of the phone booths was a game changer back in my days as a reporter for the Daily Planet in Metropolis.                                                                                                                           That and the damn cell phones have kyptonite in them.  Lois Lane dropped me like a hot potato and ran off with Jimmy Olson.

2 hours ago, Pipeman said:

Yep and I had my calling card number memorized !

Yea, remember calling cards ! !  LOL

and standing in the cold hallway at La Glacier to wait for phone

Or standing outside Kanawata trying to call the wife

and Rabaska"s cold phone booth outside the lodge

WIFI is a wonderful thing !!

Edited by Pipemaster
add info

Can anyone remember party lines and having to talk to a operator.  I think there was 4 on our line.  There was no secrets . 

22 minutes ago, scorpionbowl said:

Isn’t the phone booth next to the porch, left side?

Yes at 22

his pic is this one..

9 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

We also lost the phone booth on Chemin Parent at the power station where you cross Chemin Parent when leaving Fer a Cheval heading for 100 Lacs.

Done that and almost died to see 20 dollars a call on my bill back in Ma, per call, then started using the card and spending 1 dollar per call, enormous difference, but once you start a card, you have a year to use it, so do not make 1 call and put it in your wallet for next year, it will expire.

Brrrrr!  Shiverin me timbers just reminiscing standing outside 22 & Kanawata!

Used to tell Mrs Playhard that all the hospitals have phones, so if i don't call in IM NOT AT A HOSPITAL!

Then she got me the Iridium.

And the Garmin, so i knew she loved me! 

Cool deal that 22 will be sure to provide wifi that reaches outside. 

16 hours ago, Pipeman said:

I think there is still one in Clova, right inside the entrance at Dominics restaurant 

Yup.  This guy was on the phone for a long time last year while we were eating dinner there. 

89384886-B3B4-4307-AADE-471917E3D819.png