Been riding since Thursday!

Pipeman

2 hours ago, smclelan said:

Looks like a really nice area Cobra

Yea Pa has some amazing areas, views to ride. But there is NEVER ENOUGH SNOW to actually get some good riding in. This past 2weeks was a FLUKE!!!!!

Sure going to miss your side of the POND this year.!!!!

What a WACKY weather pattern for the 20-21 season!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I live an hour south of this area so I didn’t stay anywhere. I trailered up 44 north and parked about 5 miles north of the black forest inn. If you Google black forest inn you will see the area and then I rode mostly in the Pa Grand Canyon. You can also park at the entrance to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon off of Route 6 about 10 miles west of Wellsboro , I believe it is the Colton point parking area. 

Pipeman, You got me thinking on a short trip in that area. I am less than 3 hr drive. In your opinion could we find enough open to fill a half day and a full day ride? We would stay overnight 1 or 2 nights.

Was the Black Forest Inn open for business? I see Colton point is North of there.  Thanks for your help.

I can’t say for sure because that area was rode hard yesterday and I don’t know about today but I can’t imagine it wasn’t busy. If they would get 3 inches more snow even it would be very good again. Yes black forest inn was open and also Colton point area has some places for lodging. I don’t know if it’s going to be worth a 6 hour round trip for you guys, me buzzing up there for an hours drive definitely but I hate to tell you go there and have you be disappointed. Again if they would get a few more inches of snow I would definitely say yes especially if you could do it on a weekday. 

Rode the area yesterday.  140 miles.  I would say I wouldn't go back until they get more snow.  They have an excellent base most places, so it won't take much to get them going again, but it has seen a significant amount of traffic at this point.  Areas around the Grand Canyon were really nice.  Very smooth with enough snow for lube and cooling.  Icy base underneath, so caution is needed if you aren't running pics.  Areas surrounding were a little worse off, especially in the more dense parts of the forest.  Base is there, but very hard and the lack of new snow is preventing grooming.  Scratchers would be beneficial.  3 inches would help.  6 or more inches, especially in the valleys would really bring it along.   As long as the temps stay reasonable the area should hold its base through the season, which is a huge plus for PA!

Word of caution, it is a challenging area to navigate if you aren't familiar.  We ran into a group yesterday that had been lost for hours and for some crazy reason didn't even have a map with them.

2 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

Drove 3 hrs to get here, on the trail by noon, 80 miles in. Trails were 7-9 in my opinion. Glad we came. Going to ride again tomarrow. Thanks all for the input.

6D26C4AE-AEA0-432A-9E17-547771DE4338.jpeg

C6C8F1DA-EB53-4373-B5EC-8298BB6D175D.jpeg

097DCC72-8BA4-433C-8393-448449EAFA21.jpeg

BC7EC7F8-5EF9-4367-9FAB-9C7C8D778BB1.jpeg

Good to hear, watch out for deer and enjoy! 

Nice reporting guys.  Can you tell me what county and where those mountain view pictures were taken? I'm looking at many different maps but do not where its best to start and drop the sleds.  Please advise.

1 hour ago, Mac said:

Nice reporting guys.  Can you tell me what county and where those mountain view pictures were taken? I'm looking at many different maps but do not where its best to start and drop the sleds.  Please advise.

That pic is in Tioga county and that is the PA Grand Canyon. 

I’m not sure unfortunately if the snow conditions are still good enough to get there right now but it’s only about a 1.5hr snowmobile ride from the Canyon area you’re at to the Hyner Mountain area, this is the lookout in the summertime, it’s a beautiful area.

ED362D10-3ED5-4C9A-9682-8095C41C0524.jpeg

FCA10523-1854-4D99-93EA-8F26C9C383A3.jpeg

29 minutes ago, mikerider said:

The pics are great, that area is truly beautiful. I need to start traveling out of Maine more.

mike

I hear you Mike that canyon is Yellowstone beautiful, more snow in PA than Maine or Eastern Quebec, thanks for pictures guys ,hopefully SNOW ❄ falls in New england soon

8 hours ago, Cobra said:

Start riding high and see how low you can go before the snow disappears, 

Is that prescription or recreational out there? Or imported from Mass?

(Asking for a friend)

Edited by PLAYHARD

12 hours ago, Pipeman said:

I’m not sure unfortunately if the snow conditions are still good enough to get there right now but it’s only about a 1.5hr snowmobile ride from the Canyon area you’re at to the Hyner Mountain area, this is the lookout in the summertime, it’s a beautiful area.

ED362D10-3ED5-4C9A-9682-8095C41C0524.jpeg

FCA10523-1854-4D99-93EA-8F26C9C383A3.jpeg

Wife and I spend lots of time in that area camping in the summer.  The ramp in the bottom photo is where the hang gliders take off.  They land in the field on the left in the top picture.  really fun to watch.

On 1/13/2021 at 1:39 PM, Mac said:

We stayed near Gaines at the Rough Cut Lodge (Excellent Place). Dropped our sleds first day 5 miles east at Ansonia Parking on Colton Point Road. Second day dropped 20 miles west of Lodge at District 15 Office Parking which is just west of Denton Hill State Park. Both spots are just off Route 6. Heard weekends were crazy busy. We went during week. You need PA registration to ride in PA. We got ours at Larry's sport Center in Galeton

Edited by Snobeeler

On 1/15/2021 at 9:28 AM, Snobeeler said:

We stayed near Gaines at the Rough Cut Lodge (Excellent Place). Dropped our sleds first day 5 miles east at Ansonia Parking on Colton Point Road. Second day dropped 20 miles west of Lodge at District 15 Office Parking which is just west of Denton Hill State Park. Both spots are just off Route 6. Heard weekends were crazy busy. We went during week. You need PA registration to ride in PA. We got ours at Larry's sport Center in Galeton

you actually don't need a PA registration to ride PA any state registration is fine and there is no trail permit