NEW SNOW

grumpysanta

My driveway had 12 inches and still coming first good snow of the year and a little wet so it should stick and not blow away.. calling for another 20 cm. this pm. Blower working like a charm.

A big tease for those of us south of the border. Albeit it is finally snowing @ camp -@ Pittsburg NH. Hopefully, it will begin to accumulate for the February adventure. 

Some parts of QC have be slow to get going this year due to mild  weather and lack of snow, so I’m not sure if you guys have been missing much. But I think it is safe to say in Grumpy Santa’s and my corner we will be good to go in a few days. I know the groomers are coming out around here to pack then groom and the cold is coming in the next 24 hrs.

Swamps and watercrossing still not cold enough to freeze. clubs are doing their best but some places they just can't pass.. 1 man lost and missing from Rigaud to ile Bizard on ice sledding..Just way too early to try this.!

5 hours ago, grumpysanta said:

Swamps and watercrossing still not cold enough to freeze. clubs are doing their best but some places they just can't pass.. 1 man lost and missing from Rigaud to ile Bizard on ice sledding..Just way too early to try this.!

I was surprised when I heard this, I mean I feel bad but I wouldn’t have thought the crossing wasn’t safe enough yet. There is open water spots on a number of lakes around me and with the heavy snow on the ice we can expect it to be slow to freeze and lots of slush spots. Heard they found the sled a boot and a glove or gloves but no sign of him. Hoping for a good outcome.

I have about a 1.5 mile stretch of lake to drive down to get to the main trail from my house. I’ve been walking it and testing it for years at the beginning of the season. Really not hard these days with a cordless drill and a 1.5 in spade drill. 

On 1/17/2021 at 6:57 PM, Cnc said:

I was surprised when I heard this, I mean I feel bad but I wouldn’t have thought the crossing wasn’t safe enough yet. There is open water spots on a number of lakes around me and with the heavy snow on the ice we can expect it to be slow to freeze and lots of slush spots. Heard they found the sled a boot and a glove or gloves but no sign of him. Hoping for a good outcome.

I was as surprised as you to hear this but sad to say get ready to hear more of it this year. With a combination of a slow start to the winter and snowmobile sales emptying showrooms across the province and very little used inventory means there’ll be a lot of antsy first timers, inexperienced riders and many getting back into the sport from being out of it for many years. This is a recipe for more incidents to come this winter. 
I’ve already experienced this first hand this season, took my my son in law out for a ride and while out there he had to ditch his sled off the trail to make room for an oncoming idiot that was totally on his side of the trail. Sad to say his sled suffered damages but he escaped uninjured. The oncoming sled was in the middle of the pack and the riders behind saw what happened but continued on. 
Ride safe, Ride on the right.

I have been run off the trail more often in the last 5 years than I have in all the years I have been riding and that goes back a long long way. I fear your right Trailblazer,  more inexperienced riders and it would seem even more riders going through land owners fields than past years.

45 minutes ago, doo4adoo said:

That's why I prefer to ride more north and more remote where there's less of these newbies. As i am usually point man I often feel like a target in the busy areas.

I’m always in the lead these days, so always 2 fingers covering the brake in the hidden corners and my preference is weekdays, except there are probably more people with no fixed weekday job commitments this year.

1 hour ago, grumpysanta said:

ONE more sledder dead but on land.  Body of sledder from Rigaud found by divers WED. afternoon...lakes not ready or picketed yet around  . vaudreuil area

Diable et rouge just posted today they have checked and marked a number of their water crossings, finally open for business.

Attention ...  attention ... attention 
BONNE NOUVELLE ENFIN  ! ! !
NOUS VOUS ANNONCONS QUE LES DEUX  PONTS DE GLACE SUR LA RIVIERE  AU  PONT PRUDHOMME  ET  A  BREBEUF  AINSI QUE LE LAC  DES TROIX MONTAGNES  SONT  OUVERT  A LA CIRCULATION  ... BALISÉ  ..  EPAISSEUR DE GLACE  CORRECT  DONC   SÉCURITAIRE !!!
Soyez quand meme prudent la securité de tous passe par votre  comportement  """"    Bonne  randonnée   😄......

4 hours ago, grumpysanta said:

LAKE Macdonld  not open too much slush.. lac two mts.. not picked

The boys went riding today lake Macdonald to Tremblant down the by-pass and on to the Pitit train de Nord to St Agathe. They took a back road to miss riding on the lake but I gave it a pass because of the slush on my lake I need to ride on to meet up. I probably could have made it but I’m not that gung-ho to get stuck in it these days. Older hopefully wiser definitely weaker!😎