Barrage Gouin run

doo4adoo

Our first Pandemic ride of the season. Considering lack of snow in many areas the map showed our best success for shortest commute would be the run from Saint Ann du lac to the Gouin. Map was showing green for go. We each drove up separately and met in Mt Laurier. Nothing available in Saint Ann as all booked. Comfort Inn was a happening place. Parking lot was full of trucks and sleds.  Picture included. I thought at first they had Valet parking as there was an attendant. No he just there to tell us where to park so everyone could get in. Registration was easy but had to sign  a form saying you're healthy and only people of same address in room. They gave you a  list of restaurants that deliver. St Hubert was our choice. Spoke sort of to  a guy, he's French I'm not and the gist was trails weren't very good but he had only gone local.

Woke to find only a small amount of snow. Was disappointed as I had expected more. Off to Saint Ann to launch. Arrived and the lots & street were packed with rigs, more than I had seen before. Given this was one of the few areas its understood. Plan was the local up to the 13 and then 83. Off across the lake some slush but nothing of concern. Once off the lake the trail was used. I'm guessing the trails being good is like going to the bar and at the beginning she's a 5 and then as the nigh goes she becomes a 10. Well onwards. In fairness it did get better and some areas were actually good. Still rather be riding than sitting at home reading the latest on Quebec Rider 🙂

We stopped at Fer Cheval for gas. Wasn't overly busy. They have set up 2 fire areas to relax and warm up. take out was available and some enjoying a beverage. Pictures included.

Off we go towards Parent. Trails OK until about 10 miles before. Once you're in more of the bush and off of the roads its big need of snow. We opted for the road where we could since there was a couple of inches of fresh. Gassed and grabbed a snack as it was lunch time. We were luck the weather was about -2 C which is pleasant. Decided with snow on the road to well take the road. Nice 60 miles of smooth running to the Gouin.

Check in was easy and the same drill. Off to our room. They have the main entry-dining area closed off. Its just the lounge area where you enter-exit now. So it was room service Drinks started at 2;30, dinner we opted for 5;30. Place was booked for the night as well. Options was fish or chicken with a soup and desert. I opted for the chicken and sugar pie 😋 Picture included. If you are a group of 2 you had to eat in your room, we were 3 (buddy & son) so we could eat at the 1 table in the lounge but had to have masks if not eating. They also gave you your breakfast to put in the fridge for morning.  The 2 fox came by for scraps. Sorry none from me. Woke the next morning to maybe 4-5 inches of new snow, picture attached. Nothing to make the day a challenge. We had planned on going back the way of 345,33 and 53 but we heard gas lines were long at Repos. Not surprised as Manawan is off limits. While we were getting short changed on the snow up north our spouses  sent us pics of over a 1 foot at out places with the the note of Hurry home to clean please. So we hit the trail a bit earlier for us at 8 and went back the same route. No pictures today. Just gas & go. Road back was good. Did get startled when we came across the snow plow but the road is big enough for us all. Once we hit Parent and down trails with this new snow had really gone to shit. Oh well. It was interesting when we arrived back at the truck our 2 rigs were the only ones there at 1. Day before packed, next day empty. Must all been day riders. Typically many rigs with people out saddle bagging. Maybe it will change as more snow comes. 

Overall good run for the first of the season. With this new snow in many areas and colder temps this week it should only get better.

1.jpg

8.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

6 hours ago, doo4adoo said:

Our first Pandemic ride of the season. Considering lack of snow in many areas the map showed our best success for shortest commute would be the run from Saint Ann du lac to the Gouin. Map was showing green for go. We each drove up separately and met in Mt Laurier. Nothing available in Saint Ann as all booked. Comfort Inn was a happening place. Parking lot was full of trucks and sleds.  Picture included. I thought at first they had Valet parking as there was an attendant. No he just there to tell us where to park so everyone could get in. Registration was easy but had to sign  a form saying you're healthy and only people of same address in room. They gave you a  list of restaurants that deliver. St Hubert was our choice. Spoke sort of to  a guy, he's French I'm not and the gist was trails weren't very good but he had only gone local.

Woke to find only a small amount of snow. Was disappointed as I had expected more. Off to Saint Ann to launch. Arrived and the lots & street were packed with rigs, more than I had seen before. Given this was one of the few areas its understood. Plan was the local up to the 13 and then 83. Off across the lake some slush but nothing of concern. Once off the lake the trail was used. I'm guessing the trails being good is like going to the bar and at the beginning she's a 5 and then as the nigh goes she becomes a 10. Well onwards. In fairness it did get better and some areas were actually good. Still rather be riding than sitting at home reading the latest on Quebec Rider 🙂

We stopped at Fer Cheval for gas. Wasn't overly busy. They have set up 2 fire areas to relax and warm up. take out was available and some enjoying a beverage. Pictures included.

Off we go towards Parent. Trails OK until about 10 miles before. Once you're in more of the bush and off of the roads its big need of snow. We opted for the road where we could since there was a couple of inches of fresh. Gassed and grabbed a snack as it was lunch time. We were luck the weather was about -2 C which is pleasant. Decided with snow on the road to well take the road. Nice 60 miles of smooth running to the Gouin.

Check in was easy and the same drill. Off to our room. They have the main entry-dining area closed off. Its just the lounge area where you enter-exit now. So it was room service Drinks started at 2;30, dinner we opted for 5;30. Place was booked for the night as well. Options was fish or chicken with a soup and desert. I opted for the chicken and sugar pie 😋 Picture included. If you are a group of 2 you had to eat in your room, we were 3 (buddy & son) so we could eat at the 1 table in the lounge but had to have masks if not eating. They also gave you your breakfast to put in the fridge for morning.  The 2 fox came by for scraps. Sorry none from me. Woke the next morning to maybe 4-5 inches of new snow, picture attached. Nothing to make the day a challenge. We had planned on going back the way of 345,33 and 53 but we heard gas lines were long at Repos. Not surprised as Manawan is off limits. While we were getting short changed on the snow up north our spouses  sent us pics of over a 1 foot at out places with the the note of Hurry home to clean please. So we hit the trail a bit earlier for us at 8 and went back the same route. No pictures today. Just gas & go. Road back was good. Did get startled when we came across the snow plow but the road is big enough for us all. Once we hit Parent and down trails with this new snow had really gone to shit. Oh well. It was interesting when we arrived back at the truck our 2 rigs were the only ones there at 1. Day before packed, next day empty. Must all been day riders. Typically many rigs with people out saddle bagging. Maybe it will change as more snow comes. 

Overall good run for the first of the season. With this new snow in many areas and colder temps this week it should only get better.

1.jpg

8.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

@ least you're riding!

Thanks for the ride report and the pictures.  Did you get to meet the new owner of the Touriste in SADL? I was sad to hear about  the end of Steve’s tenure.  He always treated us right.  He always had his apron on in the kitchen when we returned on Sunday’s.  I am a firm believer that when you return numerous times, the people are more likely to help out in a “situation” requiring additional assistance.

cheers 

Thanks for sharing the details, it’s definitely a winter all of us need to adapt.

We’ve been up to the Cabanon twice this year and brought in our own food including our trail side lunches. Did the Gouin have a microwave in the common area or in any of the rooms?

Microwave in the common area. We had a coffee pot and small bar fridge and set table for 2. We has the large room on the right at end with own bathroom as well.

We also had our own trail side lunches. Probably saved a bunch of money doing it this way as well not that was our intentions. lol