mainr riding

Blueblood

13 hours ago, mikerider said:

Thanks for the invite,  but I'm going to just poke around the area today and explore. Should be plenty of snow dust.

Baxter Inn seems nice,  older place,  very clean and owner very nice.  I drove through both places and Baxter won based on the large parking lot and good snowbanks to unload the sled off the truck.

Mike, saw you this morning in your truck as we were going thru parking lot. Dont go straight south, too many trails closed for logging. We are heading north tomarrow 4 day saddlebag trip. Stay safe.

E88DF997-2782-4E01-9313-E2CA6C75AF9F.jpeg

61EBB6B0-0D0C-46EE-AA3B-8AC0C3F4ABD2.jpeg

310F17F7-9D28-4A08-9AD3-885A575A44C0.jpeg

Snobeeler,  Thanks for the tip on southerly trails. I thought that might be you in the parking lot. I was waiting for you  to pass to unload the sled. I assume you are going to the Aroostook County on your saddle bag trip. I think you will be impressed, especially Caribou north. I've been told Libby's Camps is a must lunch stop if you go that way.  And northern Aroostook highly recommend Sportmens Restaurant and Lakeview Restaurant.  I really like Long Lake Motor in in St. Agatha. Sagueanay Bill is riding around northern Aroostook,  Hopefully you get to say hi.

Have fun.

mike

Mike, started saddlebag trip today. Thanks for the ideas. Today trails were 8-10 mostly 10. Went north thru Shin Pond. That is a nice place to stay at. Then up thru Umcolcus Sporting Camps, nice lunch there. Ended day in Presque Isle at P. I. Convention Center, has food and bar! Our track today in Purple. The second map pic goes north of the first

7E547A33-D8BA-4F0D-BC89-8F360C9A337C.jpeg

D3654345-FE57-41BE-851D-97CEF7722BB7.jpeg

03ADC6D7-B52F-4F9F-A75B-3310D5008BF8.png

ED2ED0CD-52A5-4BC5-8CF7-23C091995E44.png

Edited by Snobeeler

After a somewhat dismal day yesterday of a mix of lots of  big and small bumps in the Millinocket area, I left this morning in frigid temps to head north into the big wilderness. Destination at least Shin Pond Camps, better yet Libby's Sporting Camps.

Got to Shin Pond way quick, stayed the north course for Libby's. Almost the entire trip was on freshly groomed trails, and a few that weren't were still smooth and fast. Again, this area has  nice big wide logging roads with plenty of hills. Gas at Shin Pond, lunch at Libby's and back thru Mattagammon Wilderness store,   and Bowling Sporting Camps.

Based on the grooming, and big wide roads,  views of lakes, streams and rivers along with a few mountain views, and very low traffic count,  sunshine good part of day; this would have to be one of the top ten best rides ever. It was Quebec worthy.  

Libby's Canps is nothing short of right out of the early 1900's. It is an Orvis Fly Fishing approved camp. I would have to rate lunch there as the best ever trail stop lunch. I had been told it was amazing food.

On the way back I also poked around the Northeast Outdoor Center, big log cabin restaurant and rental cabins that appeared very large.

Pic of the large building the the Mattagammom Wilderness store. All others pics of buildings inside and out is Libby's.

Snowbeeler,  I must have been ahead of you as at times there were no tracks in the fresh groom. I am guessing after shin Pond I went north and you went northeast. So glad you had a good day. Presque Isle Inn should be a nice step up for places to stay, heard it was great.

mike

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

Edited by mikerider

Awesome ride Mike. Thrilled you found a way to fill the void until Quebec is open next year.

Shin Pond Village is nice. Libby Camp is one of our favorites ever anywhere for lunch. Great food and the vibe is second to none. The trail out of there to the trains is contingent on 2 things....grooming on the rail heading toward the lakes...and the surface condition of the 15 miles on the lakes. If they are rough...its a ride. If they are good...not that often but moreso than years back...its a real treat. The trains themselves are very cool.

Caribou is a sweet spot to ride out of in any direction if you are starting further north. That area mid week is awesome...weekend...hit or miss at times.

2 hours ago, mikerider said:

After a somewhat dismal day yesterday of a mix of lots of  big and small bumps in the Millinocket area, I left this morning in frigid temps to head north into the big wilderness. Destination at least Shin Pond Camps, better yet Libby's Sporting Camps.

Got to Shin Pond way quick, stayed the north course for Libby's. Almost the entire trip was on freshly groomed trails, and a few that weren't were still smooth and fast. Again, this area has  nice big wide logging roads with plenty of hills. Gas at Shin Pond, lunch at Libby's and back thru Mattagammon Wilderness store,   and Bowling Sporting Camps.

Based on the grooming, and big wide roads,  views of lakes, streams and rivers along with a few mountain views, and very low traffic count,  sunshine good part of day; this would have to be one of the top ten best rides ever. It was Quebec worthy.  

Libby's Canps is nothing short of right out of the early 1900's. It is an Orvis Fly Fishing approved camp. I would have to rate lunch there as the best ever trail stop lunch. I had been told it was amazing food.

On the way back I also poked around the Northeast Outdoor Center, big log cabin restaurant and rental cabins that appeared very large.

Pic of the large building the the Mattagammom Wilderness store. All others pics of buildings inside and out is Libby's.

Snowbeeler,  I must have been ahead of you as at times there were no tracks in the fresh groom. I am guessing after shin Pond I went north and you went northeast. So glad you had a good day. Presque Isle Inn should be a nice step up for places to stay, heard it was great.

mike

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

Mike if you stayed on  trail 71d instead of going into Libby’s that’ll take you over to Its 81/85 where you would take a right, just a little bit down 81/85 on your right you’ll see a side trail that goes to Umcolcus sporting camps another old set of log cabins and Jeff the owner is a great guy and the food is great! After lunch you head back out to 81/85 and take a right and head back to shin pond that trail is also all wide logging roads and very similar to the Quebec trails. I think you’d enjoy it you should give it a shot if you have time. You could also do the loop the other direction and go up through shin pond. 

Thanks York. I saw a sign for Umcolcus Camps and was thinking of going there tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. 

I am a bit of a Maine sporting camp buff. I go every year and stay two weeks at Grants Camps, also 4 weeks at Bald Mountain Camps, although the latter is more a resort these days. I have also stayed at Bosebuck and long ago at the former Grace Pond Canps. I also remember Quimby Pond Camps and Hardscrabble Camps.

On 2/7/2021 at 5:00 PM, EastMark said:

There now Mike ?

Heading there on the 18th for a couple days....then back to Caribou first week of March for some mid week riding.

We will also be up the first week of March, renting a house near Stockholm

Speaking of leaving stuff alone, SUPER glad that the riding's top-notch, but... 

WHERE'S THE MONKER?!

7 hours ago, mikerider said:

mike

IMG_0036.JPG

Same old, same old. Up early, warm up the buggy and head off to work. Three miles thru the hood waving to friends and neighbors, hit the on ramp to I-85, set cruise at 70, and play Johnny Cash's 'On The Trail Again'.

mikerider:

Trail Inspector

Trailside Restaurant Reviewer

and Sporting Camp historian

IMG_0061.JPG

Headed north again today, taking York's advice to go to Umcolcus Sporting Camps for lunch.  Back thru Shin Pond and then NE. The last 25 miles to the camps were perhaps Maine's fastest trails. long straightaways for miles, nice and hilly, make a turn and more miles of straight. Fun trail.  Need more horsepower!  Pulled into Umcolcus and another turn of the century sporting camp. Impressive place. Lunch was excellent. Trails today were all 8 to 10's, really a super ride.  Not too many sleds on the trails. Andy was working the lodge and said Umcolcus was named after a duck, and pointed to a stuffed duck on the wall. Later I looked up Umcolcus ducks and found no such thing. Must have been the name of a pet duck, who now sits proudly stuffed and on a shelf. 

(Anxious to hear how Snowbeeler is liking Aroostook County riding, hope he reports).

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Edited by mikerider