mainr riding

Blueblood

we went 83 south which is nice wide smoth trails. right onto 111 (rough section about 4 miles)  to lunch at wildwood trailside cabins. up 111 north to 109 north.  ran that up too 85 86.  back neoc 170 miles today most great trails.

20210210_125736.jpg

20210210_130152.jpg

20210210_150447.jpg

20210210_150437.jpg

20210210_161513.jpg

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

Headed north again today, taking York's advice to go to Umcolcus Sporting Camps for lunch.  Back thru Shin Pond and then NE. The last 25 miles to the camps were perhaps Maine's fastest trails. long straightaways for miles, nice and hilly, make a turn and more miles of straight. Fun trail.  Need more horsepower!  Pulled into Umcolcus and another turn of the century sporting camp. Impressive place. Lunch was excellent. Trails today were all 8 to 10's, really a super ride.  Not too many sleds on the trails. Andy was working the lodge and said Umcolcus was named after a duck, and pointed to a stuffed duck on the wall. Later I looked up Umcolcus ducks and found no such thing. Must have been the name of a pet duck, who now sits proudly stuffed and on a shelf. 

(Anxious to hear how Snowbeeler is liking Aroostook County riding, hope he reports).

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

Mike glad you enjoyed the ride up to umcolcus camps and lunch, and that is definitely a fun ride up there on that trail. I should have mentioned that just a little bit north of umcolcus is the Homestead lodge where you can have a buffalo burger and watch the buffaloes wander around out behind the lodge. Check it out if you have the itch to try that trail again! 

Thanks York, really enjoyed the ride today and thank you for the advice. As I neared Umcolcus, I saw signs for another place up the trail, must have been the Homestead.  I am hooked on the north bound trails. Any idea how much further Homestead is past Umcolcus, and also how much further trail 71D turn off is past Umcolcus.  Still mulling over tomorrow's ride.

I am wondering if Umcolcus has a new owner.   Guy about 40, thinking his name is Andy, seemed to be in charge. Older gentleman there said he used to be the owner and was just watching over Andy  to give any advice.

mike

Edited by mikerider

4 hours ago, mikerider said:

Andy was working the lodge and said Umcolcus was named after a duck

I got too much time on my hands, should have 2 tours under my bibs by now...

On one hand:  Definition of Umcolcus:  No result for Umcolcus

On the other hand:  Umcolcus; lake and stream in Maine, an Indian word meaning "whistling duck"

24 minutes ago, PLAYHARD said:

I got too much time on my hands, should have 2 tours under my bibs by now...

On one hand:  Definition of Umcolcus:  No result for Umcolcus

On the other hand:  Umcolcus; lake and stream in Maine, an Indian word meaning "whistling duck"

6 hours ago, mikerider said:

Thanks York, really enjoyed the ride today and thank you for the advice. As I neared Umcolcus, I saw signs for another place up the trail, must have been the Homestead.  I am hooked on the north bound trails. Any idea how much further Homestead is past Umcolcus, and also how much further trail 71D turn off is past Umcolcus.  Still mulling over tomorrow's ride.

I am wondering if Umcolcus has a new owner.   Guy about 40, thinking his name is Andy, seemed to be in charge. Older gentleman there said he used to be the owner and was just watching over Andy  to give any advice.

mike

The 71d turn off is less than a mile past umcolcus and the homestead is maybe 2 miles or so further and yes there bisons not buffalo. Jeff is the owner of the umcolcus camps he’s a big rugged guy and he’s real friendly and usually welcomes you when you arrive and ask how’s it going and loves to carry on a conversation. 

Blueblood, hope you dont mind us posting in your thread. Anyways today was the best day so far. Left Madawaska on fresh groomed trails, they never ended all the way to Ivey’s Motor Lodge in Houlton. 145 easy miles. FDA06C03-22D1-4E82-9A51-C37C9F4E73AF.thumb.jpeg.52f7bb44ee8a3e5d3cc9d5053543e38e.jpegVery nice place. Went thru Lavertue, Hamlin, Limestone, Fort Fairfield, late lunch in Mars Hill. Most trails were highway speed

4AC6D5F5-9E7E-400A-9183-4C83E3825303.jpeg

3BB647B9-9863-487F-8CC7-63436D3A5BD1.jpeg

Today's ride in Maine was northeast to Oxbow, following York's recommendation to see the bisans  and  eat the bisons at Homestead Tavern and Farm. Trails were Quebec worthy again today, as were the cold and blustery temps. Oxbow looks like an awesome area to ride judging by the amount of intersections and trails in that area. 

mike

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

29 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Today's ride in Maine was northeast to Oxbow, following York's recommendation to see the bisans  and  eat the bisons at Homestead Tavern and Farm. Trails were Quebec worthy again today, as were the cold and blustery temps. Oxbow looks like an awesome area to ride judging by the amount of intersections and trails in that area. 

mike

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

Glad you enjoyed it Mike, it’s been awhile since I’ve been north of the oxbow so not sure what the trails are like but I’m thinking there on wood’s road also. Did you take 71d out of the oxbow? Which direction are you riding tomorrow? 

Bob,   very small bar, nothing like Moose Valley.  But you are missing some great riding not coming to Maine.

Hi York.  I did take 71D like you suggested. Smooth as silk and I met the groomer on an already perfect trail.  Headed home in the morning.  Friend and I are talking about coming up Monday,  seeing what the weather looks like first. Motel has plenty of rooms next week despite school vacation.

3 hours ago, mikerider said:

Bob,   very small bar, nothing like Moose Valley.  But you are missing some great riding not coming to Maine.

Hi York.  I did take 71D like you suggested. Smooth as silk and I met the groomer on an already perfect trail.  Headed home in the morning.  Friend and I are talking about coming up Monday,  seeing what the weather looks like first. Motel has plenty of rooms next week despite school vacation.

Mike, I rented a house by Watertown New York for 10 days, just below the border, leaving Saturday am, they have from 40 to 75 inches in the woods, probably will not be much logging road type riding, mostly remote back country in the woods, and hopefully not a lot of sleds up there. We will not be in the Old Forge area for sure, I am riding the 850 extreme and my buddy is on a 850 backcountry, should be a great trip. The pics of Maine look great, I have not ridden Maine since 1990, but have fished and been to Libby's and a ton of places in Western Maine all the way over to the Forks.We do not have to quarantine or test because we are a bordering state, one of the reasons we are not in Maine, we will post next week, be well, Bob.

On 2/11/2021 at 5:09 PM, Snobeeler said:

Blueblood, hope you dont mind us posting in your thread. Anyways today was the best day so far. Left Madawaska on fresh groomed trails, they never ended all the way to Ivey’s Motor Lodge in Houlton. 145 easy miles. FDA06C03-22D1-4E82-9A51-C37C9F4E73AF.thumb.jpeg.52f7bb44ee8a3e5d3cc9d5053543e38e.jpegVery nice place. Went thru Lavertue, Hamlin, Limestone, Fort Fairfield, late lunch in Mars Hill. Most trails were highway speed

4AC6D5F5-9E7E-400A-9183-4C83E3825303.jpeg

3BB647B9-9863-487F-8CC7-63436D3A5BD1.jpeg

snobeeler go right ahead and post all u want.  those trails north look awsome.  I was at libbys camps yesterday that loop up over 85 reminds me of quebec.  

20210212_121324.jpg

20210211_160022.jpg

20210211_124337.jpg

snobeeler it was nice meeting you guys in miili and dinner at p i convention   glad you hit the trails in pretty good shape .thursday i went south out of caribou and made a wrong turn in sherman ,which put me on super highway trails to medway which were all east of i95.turned out to be good mistake. from medway i went east back to milli..well kept secret on east side of interstate

22 hours ago, Albieridin said:

snobeeler it was nice meeting you guys in miili and dinner at p i convention   glad you hit the trails in pretty good shape .thursday i went south out of caribou and made a wrong turn in sherman ,which put me on super highway trails to medway which were all east of i95.turned out to be good mistake. from medway i went east back to milli..well kept secret on east side of interstate

Albie, nice meeting you and thanks for some tips. Ivey's motor lodge was excellent. Place must have been updated recently, great rooms. Had a pub with food inside, our kinda place.

Edited by Snobeeler

5 minutes ago, Snobeeler said:

Albie, nice meeting you and thanks for some tips. Ivey's motor lodge was excellent. Place must have been updated recently, great rooms. Had a pub with food inside, our kinda place.

did a drive by at ivieys and saw the sign for food and drinks ≥≥like you said must have been updated

On 2/11/2021 at 6:19 PM, mikerider said:

Did you head up Mike ?

We will be up Thursday nite to ride Fri/Sat out of Baxter. This heavy snow tomorrow should be sweet. Fridays snow while riding we will see.

Hoping for a more dry snow for visibility !

Waiting out both tonight and Friday's storms before I go up. Very disappointed if I miss not seeing you up there. Have a great time Mark. I've mentioned all the special lunch stops, which you are familiar with already. No words of wisdom for Millinocket's food and bar scene.