mainr riding

Blueblood

The lodge is just a restaurant. Would not be much to do there.  Shin Pond cabins might be good, big field by the cabins, and lake is just down the hill.  Is he trail riding. If not I really like Bald Mtn Camps in Rangley,  big lake outside the cabins. Restaurant and bar.

I can say I was in Canada 

be happy with the little things 

schooter 

FABC3B6C-03BB-4AF1-941F-6B555B3A93D3.jpeg

Today Skidoo 420, Jak, and GKW and I went to Libby's Camps for lunch.  3 to 4 inches of new snow coated the trees adding to a winter comeback.

A couple pics of the trail and Mattagammon Wilderness Store and Restaurant.  We are blown away with trail conditions here. The Baxter Inn owner has been so good to us. He has provided our own happy hour room .

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

Hi Mark,     Yesterday stopped at Mattagammon on your advice. Really cool place.  Today was second day in high 30*'s.  Went up to Abol dam and it got rough going towards Kokadjo so we looped around to Wildwood Cabins. All smooth going rest of the day. I had forgotten what 25 miles of moguls were like. Not pretty. 4 inches are forecast for tonight. Home for Friday.  Tomorrow playing in the far north, via Shin Pond, maybe lunch at Uncolcos Camps.  We've been mentioning QuebecRider enough to the owner of Baxter Park Inn that it should be a household name. Would it be good to have a Maine business an advertiser on QR?

mike

25 miles of moguls on a Wednesday is a bummer. On a weekend if you hit that you almost feel like you deserve it for riding a weekend. LOL

Hmmm. Not sure those $ wouldnt be better spent at HCS if they are looking to spend Mike. On a normal year Id think QR folks dont get down to Milly much.

This year has been an outlier..and much later start than the last few...but still a lot of fun. More fun to come next week in Caribou.

You might try that area next trip before this short season ends. I think you would be equally as happy with what that area offers for trail quality and options.
They got some snow overnite and more coming Saturday. 🙂 Should be great.

Edited by EastMark

Maine doesnt suck. :-) You just have to know where and when not to ride...and then there is a pretty good chance it will be great. The scenery is spectacular.

That said, I miss Quebec trails being in the mix ! I just pray the pit stops and hotels we know and love in Quebec survive the level of lock downs they have applied. It has been intense from a business standpoint for sure. I can forsee a 2021 Quebec thread named “Its closed now post it here” unfortunately. 

yesterday was a bit of a challenge with hard frozen trails in the morning.   the groomers did not go out until about noon.  then we headed what ever way they went lol.  wind was crazy yesterday had to get my hand saw out several times to get back in.  ended up with 193 miles for our efforts. 

20210302_173122.jpg

20210302_164707.jpg

Hi Blueblood.     Winds were crazy all over the state yesterday.  Sounds like you have taken up residency in Maine!

I am at about the same mileage as you. May be back next week, watching the weather.  We found that when heading north towards Shin Pond, if 85/86 is rough, we detour onto 112 to 83 to bypass that section, the latter almost always great.  That's probably the only tip I have, as I imagine by now you have seen every inch of the area and then some.  If you are looking for something different to do, Shin Pond Camps rents out Polaris Maryx 650 sleds for a day or half day. These sleds are so much fun to drive.  I rented one in Jackman,  made me feel young again. lol        I never found any restaurants in Millinocket downtown area worth mentioning. 

mike

Went 102 miles via 71A between Ashland and Caribou and west across 71D Libby Loop.  It is 98 miles back since we went 71D then got ITS 85/81 up thru and north of Oxbow back to Caribou.

Great trails today.

....yesterday out to the Allagash....120 thru Deboulle....98 miles to Jake Break..... then back going thru St Francis/Ft Kent to Lakeview and back down to Caribou...another 100 miles back going that way. Super trails except 10 miles in Ft Kent had a lot of drifting from the Tuesday. Im sure it is groomed out now.

Tuesdays drive up was wild. A 15 car pile up on rt 1 north of Houlton...road closed earlier...cleared but stop and go...couldnt see from snow blowing...3 times hit closed roads and detours there to Caribou. Worth every minute of it. Cold temps have the trails set up nice. Best all year.

Grooming conditions are good...so the trails are staying together pretty well. Light traffic. 

I will get a few pics posted soon.

Thanks Yeti and Eastmark for posting the great pictures.  I have found some great riding in Maine this season. If we are shut out of Quebec again next season, I now know I will survive. And loving that quick 3 hour drive.  

mike