South shore run video ride report February 6th 2021

towing

Because most of the last snow falls had seems to have hit harder on the south shore of the St-Lawrence river, we tried this loop last Saturday 6, 2021

carte(4).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We were a bit disappointed ... not that it does not ride well but we expected  way more snow. In fact the trail conditions were similar as the south of my area. The trail is often easy to follow due to its color,  especially in woods, and the skis often scratch the base, especially in curves.

bois.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=boun

The 10km/H speed zone along the reservoir near the Victoriaville drive me crazy each time I pass there! it is not that long but it looks damn long !!! after that we appreciate 30 zone!!!

The fields trail sections south of Victoriaville are in better shape because the wind brings more snow into the trail shaping up the  condition as well as #35 west of Warwick which was very nice.

DSC03038.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Here a short video of our ride. Best viewed with the sound on and the quality cranked up at 1080p

My Venture hit the mental mark of the 25000 miles/40000kms during the ride

DSC03047.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC03046(1).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&f

On the way back we pass through St-Léonard D'Aston which was nicer than the morning trail path

Finally a good 210 miles run for us. Like Iceman mention in one of his post, the trails do not have a real hard base... no thaw since our recent season start so it's a bit normal that we are dealing with the conditions we have. Hoping for more snow ahead....

Alain

Good morning Alan,

Thanks for another excellent ride report, and congratulations on achieving 25,000 miles. I’m trying to remember what model year your 

venture is. You must be starting to think about a new one.

Snappy Hank

10 hours ago, towing said:

Because most of the last snow falls had seems to have hit harder on the south shore of the St-Lawrence river, we tried this loop last Saturday 6, 2021

carte(4).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We were a bit disappointed ... not that it does not ride well but we expected  way more snow. In fact the trail conditions were similar as the south of my area. The trail is often easy to follow due to its color,  especially in woods, and the skis often scratch the base, especially in curves.

bois.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=boun

The 10km/H speed zone along the reservoir near the Victoriaville drive me crazy each time I pass there! it is not that long but it looks damn long !!! after that we appreciate 30 zone!!!

The fields trail sections south of Victoriaville are in better shape because the wind brings more snow into the trail shaping up the  condition as well as #35 west of Warwick which was very nice.

DSC03038.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Here a short video of our ride. Best viewed with the sound on and the quality cranked up at 1080p

My Venture hit the mental mark of the 25000 miles/40000kms during the ride

DSC03047.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC03046(1).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&f

On the way back we pass through St-Léonard D'Aston which was nicer than the morning trail path

Finally a good 210 miles run for us. Like Iceman mention in one of his post, the trails do not have a real hard base... no thaw since our recent season start so it's a bit normal that we are dealing with the conditions we have. Hoping for more snow ahead....

Alain

Is it worth the drive from Southern Ontario? On a scale of 10 where do you rate the trails in that area?

Nice video Alain .  I got ride report from cnc .Tremblant area .Yesterday and he said ,  No base at all  and trails tore up by noon and bumpy with 3 times the normal traffic with some yahoos  4 wheelers and sleds..

Edited by grumpysanta

Nice report Alan. It seems we are experiencing the same lack of base in several regions this year, plenty of snow but many of the trails are worn brown. As Grumpy mentioned, not that enjoyable riding.

22 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Hey!  Congrats!  You're just passing the break-in period!

Ok!  I will finally be able to open the throttle more than half! 😅

12 hours ago, Snappy Hank said:

Good morning Alan,

Thanks for another excellent ride report, and congratulations on achieving 25,000 miles. I’m trying to remember what model year your 

venture is. You must be starting to think about a new one.

Snappy Hank

Thank you Snappy Hank! 

My Yammy is a 2011 venture Gt bought brand new at spring 2014. It's the 7th season we do with it, never kept a sled that long before! It was not the initial plan to ride it this season, I usually shop my new rides at spring but the Covid forced me to pause my plans last spring and at fall the market turned crazy and the prices increase combined with the uncertainty of the actual season convinced me to keep my old girl for this small season and wait this next spring for maybe some interesting deals... I watch!

12 hours ago, nytroman said:

Is it worth the drive from Southern Ontario? On a scale of 10 where do you rate the trails in that area?

The conditions were not bad but not best. The bad thing actually is that without a real good hard base, a week day without too much traffic with good cold temp can give an 9 on a recently groomed trail that will turn to 4 if the traffic raise with temp warmup a bit. I would rate what we did between 5 and 8 on this saturday. It was not that bad but we were expecting way better than the conditions at home and it was not the case.

7 hours ago, grumpysanta said:

Nice video Alain .  I got ride report from cnc .Tremblant area .Yesterday and he said ,  No base at all  and trails tore up by noon and bumpy with 3 times the normal traffic with some yahoos  4 wheelers and sleds..

Thanks Brion,  There are some leaner sections outlined in yellow on the fcmq interactive map in trail conditions. Ste-Agathe/ Mont-tremblant are in this spot so they already start a bit behind..

1 hour ago, Cnc said:

Nice report Alan. It seems we are experiencing the same lack of base in several regions this year, plenty of snow but many of the trails are worn brown. As Grumpy mentioned, not that enjoyable riding.

Thanks Cnc ! Yes, it will be a good year for runners sellers! 😁  I won't complain too much: we are able to ride and what we did was enjoyable. Not always what we expect or hope for but for me acceptable for sure. 

15 hours ago, mikerider said:

Hi Towing.   I assume the next new sled will be a Yamaha?

mike

I would not assume that... I love the venture platform linked with the AD Boivin Expert-x rear skid that was giving a fantastik package but it is an outdated skid and parts are begin to be hard to get..(my actual expert-x have around 70 000kms and received alot love!). It is not an impossible option but I think it would be more reasonable to look elsewhere... my eyes and my mind are wide open!

Just now, P Hardy said:

Hi Alain, just curious if you are on your original track?

I ride my first season on the original track, ride the 3 next seasons with a used pre-studded track I had from my precedent venture and the last 3 seasons on an other pre-studded track. I usually get between 16 and 22000kms out of my tracks before seeing worrying  signs of fatigue. I still have home my low miles original track that I keep as a spare in case of emergency but it's hard to ride unstudded when you taste a studded one. I had ride for 20years unstudded and almost never feel the need of it... before I tryied it once!