Oxygen helmet

neksledr

Hey all, looking for some quick tips/advice! Just purchased a new Oxygen helmet this morning and I'm leaving in the morning for a 240 mile day up to my camp in northeast VT. Probably a risky move for first use, but time will tell. I know there have been lots of comments on here regarding this helmet, but just hoping for any helpful comments on what to expect. Leaving at 6am!  Hope I don't regret leaving my BV2 at home. Thanks in advance......

I don't think you will regret it. You may have to experiment a bit with the heat settings to get it clear at different outside temperatures.  When you get back buy yourself a spare cord with the controller, only about $40 but you don't want to be caught without a spare.

Run it on high heat and open the vents.  I run this way 95% of the time with no issues and quit playing with the heat settings.  In warm weather I may turn the heat down and run with the shield cracked slightly.  If the sun visor starts fogging just crack the shield for a minute and it will clear without giving you much of a draft.  Then you can seal the visor up again if you want.  I wear a balaclava if it hits 20 below Celsius, but just the neck curtain for Temps above 20 below.  If 30 below you might need to add something more around your neck, but that's not common for most rides.  Great helmet.  I'd never go back to anything else.  Congrats on a great purchase.

Glasses work for me.  Some guys say while sled is warming up, put on helmet in your room and close shield, walk out and plug in and go.

I find if I leave the helmet in the cold truck overnight, put it on cold and go, it works. Have to leave it just cracked a few minutes and seems fine. With a tall windshield I can also leave it just barely cracked and  am plenty warm. I have never needed a balaclva with this helmet, just a neck  warmer.

Great Helmets! I have 4... First shields were iffy... should be good to go now.

Keep a copy of the original receipt tucked into the helmet, Dealers may not honor warranty without it.

-Plug in, turn on high, 5 minutes later you can back it down with no issues!

-Your face may get warm if you leave it on high.

-Like smclelan said, get an extra cord.

Later

GutZ

Hey Tom! The ride up to camp was great , low snow conditions up the rte 7 trail, but almost all was groomed, so not bad. Once we turned east everything improved dramatically. Just two of us this run, so we were fast the whole way, pulled into camp with 202 miles at just after 1:30. The new Oxygen helmet was great, appreciate all the feedback. -15 here this morning, so stoked the fires and sitting back in full relaxation mode.

39448.jpeg

We just bought an Oxygen helmet for my wife. With the visor setting on low or medium there is a constant buzzing noise. 

When set on high there is no buzzing.

Is this normal?

20 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

We just bought an Oxygen helmet for my wife. With the visor setting on low or medium there is a constant buzzing noise. 

When set on high there is no buzzing.

Is this normal?

I have never heard a sound coming from mine, buzzing does not sound right.

Nobody gets ice build up that prevents the shield from closing completely?  This would surprise me if no one else gets this as the moisture from your breath has to go somewhere; basic science actually.  I get it aournd the shield where it seals off the inside compartment.  I also get it around the hinge and by the end of the day it prevents me from using sun shield.  And yes, my visor is working because one, I feel the heat, and two, when I do fog, which is often, it will dissipate with some time.

oxygen 1.jpg

oxygen 4.jpg

From time to time I've had condensation in both areas.  It's never been a real issue for me though.  Never froze to the point that things wouldn't work. In rare instances you get a water droplet run down the inside of the shield from top to bottom as well.  It's annoying, but not the end of the world.  Would some sort if moisture control be nice?  Absolutely.  Still the best helmet I've ever had without it.  I think results vary based on how heavy the rider breathes and also on ambient temp and humidity levels you are riding in.

7 hours ago, doubler said:

Nobody gets ice build up that prevents the shield from closing completely?  This would surprise me if no one else gets this as the moisture from your breath has to go somewhere; basic science actually.  I get it aournd the shield where it seals off the inside compartment.  I also get it around the hinge and by the end of the day it prevents me from using sun shield.  And yes, my visor is working because one, I feel the heat, and two, when I do fog, which is often, it will dissipate with some time.

oxygen 1.jpg

oxygen 4.jpg

this looks excessive to me.  I get build up in front of shield but nothing like that on the hinge.  you will probably start loosing connection.