Thievery

iceman

On 2/27/2021 at 5:58 PM, EastMark said:

Here comes a new round of “I wont sled in Canada they steal every sled” stories......

Great.  Let them think that.  Less traffic on the trails for us.   
I mean it sucks yes.  After 2 or 3 seasons I would let them take my sled.   Dump the high mileage sled get the insurance and buy a new one.   Voila... back in St. Donut the next week driving a new XRS looking to cruise across Lac Archambault.

5 hours ago, doubler said:

Couple questions if anyone knows more details.  Was trailer locked?  If so, what type of locks and how were they compromised?  Were keys in the sleds?

Locks are for honest people.  Have you ever seen a pair of bolt cutters in action?   I lost a key a few weeks ago.  I scared myself how easily the lock cut.   It was like a hot knife going through butter.  Much quicker and considerably quieter than a grinder/ hacksaw

1 hour ago, Je me souviens said:

Locks are for honest people.  Have you ever seen a pair of bolt cutters in action?   I lost a key a few weeks ago.  I scared myself how easily the lock cut.   It was like a hot knife going through butter.  Much quicker and considerably quieter than a grinder/ hacksaw

Yep-I've got bolt cutters that easily cut thru 3/8" rebar-1/2" is a bit tougher!

13 hours ago, Je me souviens said:

Yeah, I get that locks don't stop everyone, but I always feel safer if there is an easier target than mine.  So I keep trailer locked when sleds are inside and keys are in my room.  Not everyone does that though.  Always surprise at how many people just roll up to the hotel and shut sled off and walk into their room.  I use these locks on the trailer and lock each side of both ramp doors.  Not saying they can't be broken or picked, but again, I truly believe if your stuff is harder to get than they others in the lot, you are safer.

image.png.8cc4d6ffa8f348f40e65fa981f7ccd33.png

9 hours ago, doubler said:

Yeah, I get that locks don't stop everyone, but I always feel safer if there is an easier target than mine.  So I keep trailer locked when sleds are inside and keys are in my room.  Not everyone does that though.  Always surprise at how many people just roll up to the hotel and shut sled off and walk into their room.  I use these locks on the trailer and lock each side of both ramp doors.  Not saying they can't be broken or picked, but again, I truly believe if your stuff is harder to get than they others in the lot, you are safer.

image.png.8cc4d6ffa8f348f40e65fa981f7ccd33.png

Agreed. Don’t make it the juiciest target is step 1

12 hours ago, MrGutz said:

I use Arctic Cat Stickers on the trailer and never have a problem...... Leave the doors and ramp unlocked and everything......

LOL

I'm kidding.... 

GutZ

Keys in sleds too